IGNORED

Matty Taylor

Red Army 75

43 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I would have taken neither off. Although that is hindsight having seen Diedhiou do little when he came on.

If He wanted to bring Diedhiou on (Who offered little when he appeared) I would have taken COD off and put Weimann wide

( Toss up between COD or Elliasson to replace tonight for me)

Also felt the substitutions were pre meditated.

And done when we had built a little head of steam and momentum up 

Bad time for the substitutions IMHO. - We immediately Lost m9mentum at that point

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

If He wanted to bring Diedhiou on (Who offered little when he appeared) I would have taken COD off and put Weimann wide

Bad time for the substitutions IMHO. - We immediately Lost m9mentum at that point

Indeed, and why always a double sub.  Do one at a time and evaluate what happens.  It wasn’t like O’Dowda was running on empty, ditto Taylor.  Just change one...a tweak.

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

take off the better of the two wide men, plus take off your best forward on the night?

58 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Again, I'm not anti FD  but did you see him win a header tonight?

It was an odd one tonight. I thought we were crying out for a CF who would hold the ball up. Not just to help the attack but to help the defence so FD was the obvious choice. As it turned out, I don't think he actually provided anything positive. MT was by far our best attacker but AW is the more natural scorer. I have sympathy with Johnson in that aspect as the he probably should have taken off AM but can understand why he would want to leave him on. 

15 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

take off the better of the two wide men, plus take off your best forward on the night?

Didn’t think much to choose between COD and NE tonight

Both dug in But didn’t have their best games

As for Matty Taylor , as someone else said I can only think LJ was concerned about him seeing red - Didn’t have any view of his yellow but Villa fans thought it could have been red

19 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Didn’t think much to choose between COD and NE tonight

Both dug in But didn’t have their best games

As for Matty Taylor , as someone else said I can only think LJ was concerned about him seeing red - Didn’t have any view of his yellow but Villa fans thought it could have been red

Nah, definite yellow.  Caught him late, but sliding tackle mistimed.  No leg off the ground, no studs up.  Just one of those tackles that happens at pace and may look worse than it was.  Ref spot on.

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Nah, definite yellow.  Caught him late, but sliding tackle mistimed.  No leg off the ground, no studs up.  Just one of those tackles that happens at pace and may look worse than it was.  Ref spot on.

(As appears the norm :laughcont:).   he was ‘on one’ though !

As Olly pointed out - did you see him having a good minute or so chipping at the keeper , at close quarters when  there was a break in play !

:laughcont:

Did his best to sort Grealish out too

I could see him getting a second yellow !

Hes definitely a wasp !

6 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

If only he could score, clean through straight after our goal. Powderpuff shot directly at the goalkeeper.

6 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

on wrong foot. good chance, but no sitter from that angle

There in, is the conundrum with Taylor, really clever runs to get in good positions BUT most of the time does not make the most of it once there - whether shooting or crossing. The chance soon after our first being a clear example, he actually had time to bring that ball down and get it fully under control, but tried to hit it first time and fluffed it. He also at least twice got into really good positions to cross and with one just found the first defender and with another skied it over the bar.

I think after the yellow, it did make sense to sub him, otherwise would like to see LJ consider switching Weimann wide late on and keeping Taylor up front with Fammy. Not sure Taylor and Fammy have actually been on the pitch together for many if any time? 

Big Matty fan.

Probably just me, but he increasingly seems to be offering zero goal threat -  not that he was prolific for us  before.

For a striker that’s getting pretty alarming. Have I been hoodwinked over his talent and he’s just turned into another LJ ‘busy achieving nothing’ type of player?

Genuinely hope not as there’s something about him I really like. 

I really don’t get why LJ bought on the subs when he did. We were doing ok, playing some decent stuff having rode something of a storm after the break. After the changes we seemed to lose momentum and cohesion. Taylor was linking the play which we missed when Fammy came on. 

LJ always seems to feel the need to bring on subs with about 30 minutes to go, he needs to learn that sometimes there is no need to try and fix something that’s not broken. 

7 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

As Olly pointed out - did you see him having a good minute or so chipping at the keeper , at close quarters when  there was a break in play !

Hes definitely a wasp !

A wasp snake .

7 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Hes definitely a wasp !

A wasp snake .

9 hours ago, Redsi2 said:

He was on a booking so might have been for his own preservation.

Agreed, if it wasnt for the yellow I think he'd have stayed on with Fam.

9 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

A risk worth taking though cos he's a forward. Also, I think it's time to show him that if he plays well, he can keep his place. Well done, Matty tonight

Big risk to take. Someone like Villa would probably bombard the defence, and then that annoying scroat Grealish would probably put one in the top corner. Not worth the gamble.

Whilst on the subject of Grealish, someone needs to go up behind him, grab both socks and pull them up as far as they can go!!

2 minutes ago, Taz said:

Agreed, if it wasnt for the yellow I think he'd have stayed on with Fam.

Big risk to take. Someone like Villa would probably bombard the defence, and then that annoying scroat Grealish would probably put one in the top corner. Not worth the gamble.

Whilst on the subject of Grealish, someone needs to go up behind him, grab both socks and pull them up as far as they can go!!

Is he actually wearing shinpads? 

9 hours ago, gazza1982 said:

But he never scores?

Exactly. Guy's a striker who hardly ever scores. When you need a goal it does make some sense to sub him for a striker who does score sometimes.

Don't really get the love in with Taylor. He's played enough games now to show if he can finish at this level and it's pretty clear the answer is no.

38 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

Exactly. Guy's a striker who hardly ever scores. When you need a goal it does make some sense to sub him for a striker who does score sometimes.

Don't really get the love in with Taylor. He's played enough games now to show if he can finish at this level and it's pretty clear the answer is no.

When he was at the Gas I got the impression he was a really lazy player, just poaching goals, which to be fair to him he was getting. He is totally different to this, perhaps he should be a bit more selfish, banging in a few goals will make his confidence soar. He does a lot of off the ball work and brings others in and has great vision, THAT pass to Korey for example. But although he’s a striker he does seem to be used mainly to ruffle a few feathers and leave the goalscoring to others at the moment. We certainly looked weaker last night, and not for the first time, without him.

20 minutes ago, RedM said:

When he was at the Gas I got the impression he was a really lazy player, just poaching goals, which to be fair to him he was getting. He is totally different to this, perhaps he should be a bit more selfish, banging in a few goals will make his confidence soar. He does a lot of off the ball work and brings others in and has great vision, THAT pass to Korey for example. But although he’s a striker he does seem to be used mainly to ruffle a few feathers and leave the goalscoring to others at the moment. We certainly looked weaker last night, and not for the first time, without him.

Perhaps if fam had come on for CoD, instead of Pato with a reshuffle it could have been more interesting 

1 hour ago, robin_unreliant said:

We were better when he was ON the pitch.

If FD comes on and the game swings our way, different. It didn't.

Not a love-in, just stating it like it is.

Wigan last week, no Taylor, no good...

Just questioning why the best forward on the day goes off

1 minute ago, AppyDAZE said:

We were better when he was ON the pitch.

If FD comes on and the game swings our way, different. It didn't.

Not a love-in, just stating it like it is.

Wigan last week, no Taylor, no good...

Yes but LJ as the manager is playing the odds. No-one really knows for certain if a player coming on will get the goal you need. If, however, he has a player available with a good  goals per game record then get him on.

The fact FD didn't do it on the night doesn't mean it was wrong to make the change. I just feel MT will run around a lot and try hard but the stats show he ain't very likely to get the winner you need.

1 minute ago, bengalcub said:

LJ use of substitutes is a big downfall , he makes some bizarre choices at strange times , he really needs some help from Holden,Jamie mc as what ever he is seeing the large proportion inside Ashton gate can't..... 

I doubt it’s his decision alone...fully expect Macca and Deano have their input.

I would like to see LJ play the same starting eleven for the whole 90...just once.

Archived