IGNORED

The thought does occur.. (FFP related)

Bristol Rob

About 20% of the season gone, and with the exception of Lloyd, we appear to have no one performing in the 'well, scouts are going to be looking at them bracket.'

And Lloyd is more age and potential based than anything.

Do we need to generate transfer revenue every year to be compliant or are we okay, spending to strengthen without selling at significant profit?

Personal view is that that next summer because of the rolling 3 year thing, we will be fine in terms of FFP- perhaps it has future-proofed us for next summer/season provided we don't go (or haven't gone) nuts in terms of wages especially.

Thereafter? Probably have to make some sales- that or keep pushing revenue up, stick with a fairly strict wage structure, seeking value etc and spend modestly.

The other variable to consider is how much of our losses are FFP allowable- academy etc. One figure quoted by Kieran Maguire from Price of Football for 2016/17 was £6m I think.

a-close-up-of-text-on-a-white-background

Essentially, how I interpret that is to lop £6m off whatever our annual losses will be for FFP purposes- provided our allowable losses a) Haven't changed since then and b) Provided our accounts haven't already taken it into account. All clubs have these, but they obviously vary dependent on club.

• Admin
13 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Personal view is that that next summer because of the rolling 3 year thing, we will be fine in terms of FFP- perhaps it has future-proofed us for next summer/season provided we don't go (or haven't gone) nuts in terms of wages especially.

Agree with @Mr Popodopolous, I've read elsewhere that after this season the pressure is off in the short term to cover losses

14 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

About 20% of the season gone, and with the exception of Lloyd, we appear to have no one performing in the 'well, scouts are going to be looking at them bracket.'

And Lloyd is more age and potential based than anything.

Do we need to generate transfer revenue every year to be compliant or are we okay, spending to strengthen without selling at significant profit?

Who would we be hoping to sell this season ? 

Most of the first team seem new recruits or those just about stepping up , like Eliasson .

Of the established players , maybe Korey Smith but he's going nowhere fast after his injury .

Marlon Pack , but he has a new contract making him expensive plus his performance levels have dropped off recently.

Frankie , if he comes in and performs at his previous standard their could be interest from a Northern club but he'll need to play out of his skin ( chilly in winter ) .

It was rumoured that he would leave last summer but we didn't get cover in in time.

O'Dowda has not yet signed his new contract offer apparently so could be off in January.

Brownhill, another in the Freeman mould who could have caught another club's attention but equally won't go cheap.

I can't see us getting a huge transfer income this season either.

There could be wriggle room- because I had a look at Transfermarkt.com and though I'm not certain it's entirely up to date it is still a good source.

Not so much in terms of sales but in terms of contract expiry- in fact there's a fine line between wriggle room and the need for a big rebuilding job.Anyway, this would free up a lot of wages if nothing else if accurate.

Players Contracts Expiring in 2019:

• Maenpaa
  • Fielding
  • Pisano
  • Wright
  • Kelly
  • Hegeler
  • Smith
  • O'Dowda
  • Paterson
  • Taylor

Da Silva and Kalas loans will expire next summer too. On the flipside, Moore and Vyner will be returning as their loans will have expired next summer

I really hope Kelly especially has been nailed down- he will only be 20 by next summer so we would get compensation for him, forget the maximum age for this. Think O'Dowda may also be eligible.

I don't know it in depth, but I assume some of those have written in the one year extension- that can be exercised by the club- Can someone reassure on this?

That's a potentially hefty rebuilding job- yet could also be seen as a big opportunity.

9 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

There could be wriggle room- because I had a look at Transfermarkt.com and though I'm not certain it's entirely up to date it is still a good source.

Not so much in terms of sales but in terms of contract expiry- in fact there's a fine line between wriggle room and the need for a big rebuilding job.Anyway, this would free up a lot of wages if nothing else if accurate.

Players Contracts Expiring in 2019:

• Maenpaa
  • Fielding
  • Pisano
  • Wright
  • Kelly
  • Hegeler
  • Smith
  • O'Dowda
  • Paterson
  • Taylor

Da Silva and Kalas loans will expire next summer too.

I really hope Kelly especially has been nailed down- he will only be 20 by next summer so we would get compensation for him, forget the maximum age for this. Think O'Dowda may also be eligible.

I don't know it in depth, but I assume some of those have written in the one year extension- that can be exercised by the club- Can someone reassure on this?

O’Dowda doesnt have an extension clause

Kelly signed a deal until 2021 recently

Fielding has a year option

For me our stand out players with value are Kelly, Brownhill, O'Dowda and arguably Eliasson. I think if we were to lose any of these the only one I'd be OK with is Eliasson as O'Dowda, Brownhill and Kelly are all players we would really struggle to replace easily and all could go for a great fee if they continue to grow as they have been. One really good season from any of these three could see their value double. 

I think realistically after this season we need to get rid of dead wood and start adding some first team quality improvements, 2-3 first team starting players would make a world of difference but in reality I think we're more likely to lose one or two players from our squad and bring in some more "squad depth", I certainly don't expect a busy summer in transfers. 

Archived