IGNORED

Kids Win Nothing.

Bigdave60

I can remember the comments of Joe Jorden when he was reported as saying.

Kids win nothing.

He was loathed to introduce a large number of young players into his teams, as he believed you would never gain promotion that way.

We have gone down the route of the academy which may be correct.

1. Players on low wages.

2. Players more likely to be local and there for loyal.

Is there a problem using this system, young players are generally inconsistant.

As we have continually noted. (The slump in form after the last New Year).

Will we be able to hang onto our best players, with a policy of low payments.Look what happened to Scot Murry when Reading opened there cheque book.

And the reported interest in Cardiff of the talents of Danny Coles.

Will it be a case of improving tallents only to loose these to teams in a higher division.

Will we always be a team of youngsters who fail to deliver when the chips are down.

I hope not, but would a more experienced team have managed to tuck away one or two of the chances created on Saterday.

Would a more experienced defence have cleared the only Blackpool chance.

I hope we gain promotion with THE KIDS.

Look forward to a stimulating debate.

Guest WillsbridgeRed

Joe Jordon was spot on by saying that, experiance is a key factor in a teams ability to win game consistently and against better opposistion.

When Butler came here I really thought with him and Tinnion in the side, the knowledge would be there to keep steady heads in the whole side and also compliment to undoubted talent of the younger players.

It's not worked as well as I had hoped.

The problem with bringing in "experianced players (lets say over 28) Is the risk of the dreaded "journeyman" type. Paul Mortimer and Steve Jones were to great examples of this.

THe best way to win promotion is to sign players with good RECENT track records, who are already on the top of their game and want to further their carears.

Obviously though this is difficult, because we don't have a great deal of money to spend.

This is why we need a BIG clear out in the summer if we fail to go up, negotiated with players who've come tot he end of their contracts at other clubs who have had a good season and have shown they're deserving, and then build a team around them using the best of the youth players

I think it's all beginning to boil down to finances.

As you stated, academy players are going to be on less wages and therefore a better investment in the long run.

If a lad of 17 / 18 is taken on and doesn't come through as the club wished, they can release him and know that they have only spent peanuts.

Where as, if the club were to get a player in with a couple of years experience under his belt, he would no doubt command a hefty signing on fee (with or without a transfer fee being paid) and no doubt, higher wages.

There is no guarentee that Mr 28 year old is going to be a hit (unless you spend £100's k on him and then it doesn't really hold a guarentee.

The Youth will be picked up cheap and if they are any good, will be sold on at a profit, no matter how big a profit, as a business, it will be good business.

I can't really think of that many local players that we missed out on over the years before the acadamy (Dodds at Southampton and Cureton who started off at Norwich).

I'm sure there were other youngsters that went to these clubs and didn't make it and may be if they had come to City and were given the chance to play league football, they may of made it.

I'd stick with the youth policy, over the last 2-3 years we have come forward and if we need to raise a few funds, there is always the possibilty of selling a "Coles".

We seem to have a few other that are coming through the ranks that aren't there yet, but given the opportunity, may well take this club forward for another 2-3 years and so on.

Its not about age so much as games played.A player can be experienced at 22 - look at Michael Owen.

City have Tinnion,Bulter,Phillips,Carey,Peacock,Brown,Hill,Bell and Docherty all with over a 100 appearences and many more in some cases.Only Miller,Woodman,Coles(I'm not sure how many games he's played)Amankwaah and possibly Roberts and Wilkshire could be deemed inexperienced.

I don't think your arguement is very valid.

I can't really think of that many local players that we missed out on over the years before the acadamy (Dodds at Southampton and Cureton who started off at Norwich).

... Marcus Stewart, Andy Johnson, Darren Eadie (Corsham), Craig Bellamy (Cardiff, had a schoolboy trial I think in pre-academy days), also Matt Etherington and Seth Johnson both hailed from SW and drove past Brizz to get to their training grounds ...

... who knows what might have been? The hope must be that their latter-day equivalents are now in the BCFC academy.

Guest WillsbridgeRed

"I don't think your arguement is very valid."

Yeah but to be fair it depends what you call experiance.

"Phillips,Carey,Peacock,Brown,Hill,Bell and Docherty "

Take our Carey and Bell and you're left with players who's playing days have almost exclusivly second Div football, with little success.

I'd say our entire first team has the ability to win games, and do well at our level. But I just feel players that have maybe been about a little bit more have a edge to them.

... Marcus Stewart, Andy Johnson, Darren Eadie (Corsham), Craig Bellamy (Cardiff, had a schoolboy trial I think in pre-academy days),

Wasn't Stewart given a trial or whatever at City, and City decided he wasn't good enough and anyhow, he went to the G*s so he didn't really go out of the area.

And I'm not sure if the academy scouting system would go as far as Cardiff (Bellamy) :Confused13:

And I'm not sure if the academy scouting system would go as far as Cardiff (Bellamy)

Even scouts have scouts!

Most good scouts that are employed by pro clubs have their own non-paid local contacts all over the country that give them the tip-off whenever a prospect shows.

Bellamy was discovered and taken to Norwich by a friend of mine who set up and ran Norwich's Welsh Centre of Excellence with Harold Jarman before the Welsh FA put a stop to it. Several of Norwich's welsh recruits came via that path.

He still remains firm friends with Craig even now.

Archived