IGNORED

The great away allocation debate

ChippenhamRed

The great away allocation debate  

123 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This is a topic that crops up regularly so I thought I'd create a poll.

The Reading fixture has brought this issue into focus once more, because they have halved our allocation this season, and we now have a thread with numerous requests for tickets, so it's clear a lot of people have missed out on the opportunity to attend the game.

On the flip side, we often hear criticism of City for giving teams a larger away allocation than they are obliged to.  It strikes me that if that's how we propose to treat other away fans, then that's how we should expect to be treated in return.

So, to the poll...let's assume all things are equal: both clubs have an equally sized stadium with similar average attendances that generally allow for an away allocation bigger than the minimum obligation.  You want to attend both games but you're not in the top 2000 that guarantees you a ticket in either scenario.  Which do you choose?

2 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

This is a topic that crops up regularly so I thought I'd create a poll.

The Reading fixture has brought this issue into focus once more, because they have halved our allocation this season, and we now have a thread with numerous requests for tickets, so it's clear a lot of people have missed out on the opportunity to attend the game.

On the flip side, we often hear criticism of City for giving teams a larger away allocation than they are obliged to.  It strikes me that if that's how we propose to treat other away fans, then that's how we should expect to be treated in return.

So, to the poll...let's assume all things are equal: both clubs have an equally sized stadium with similar average attendances that generally allow for an away allocation bigger than the minimum obligation.  You want to attend both games but you're not in the top 2000 that guarantees you a ticket in either scenario.  Which do you choose?

We certainly don’t have similar average attendances, they only actually had 6,000 for one home league game last season and are averaging 13,000 this season while we average 20,000, they’ll have 10,000 empty seats next week while we can shift double our allocation, crazy

Agree with the OP in principle- not sure it's applicable to Reading, but agree in principle would rather get a greater chance chance for an away ticket, if it meant a bigger away allocation then so be it.

Would go further, and say it's good for the game in general big away followings- many on here might disagree, but I'd say like the past, talking the 70's if not before probably, that a whole end to away fans- combined with safe standing in the other end behind the goal would be fantastic for the atmosphere. Idea being all clubs have to give an 'end' to the opposition- no way would it fly with police and council however.

38 minutes ago, harrys said:

We certainly don’t have similar average attendances, they only actually had 6,000 for one home league game last season and are averaging 13,000 this season while we average 20,000, they’ll have 10,000 empty seats next week while we can shift double our allocation, crazy

With regard to the poll I’m not specifically referring to Reading. It’s a hypothetical scenario that poses the question; are we happy to limit away allocations in return for having similar limits placed on us. I’m talking about the broad principle.

28 minutes ago, Taunton_BCFC said:

Our Reading allocation has absolutely nothing to do with how many we give them? 

13 minutes ago, Drew Peacock said:

I don't think our allocation anywhere has anything to do with how many we give them does it?

I’m not claiming it does. I’m talking about the principle.

16 minutes ago, BessexRED said:

Where would people miss out if we were allocated 2k? The only places off the top of my head that we would/could take more than 2k to is Swansea, Brentford, Reading and Villa. 

2,000 is 700 more than our rough average from the last season so plenty enough.

The flip side of this is that 2,000 is enough for most teams visiting Ashton Gate.

So you could say the argument is: are we happy for, say, five teams to have a large allocation at Ashton Gate and in return we get five big away followings of our own? Or do we limit them but then we don’t get the big away folllowings either?

31 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

With regard to the poll I’m not specifically referring to Reading. It’s a hypothetical scenario that poses the question; are we happy to limit away allocations in return for having similar limits placed on us. I’m talking about the broad principle.

I’m not claiming it does. I’m talking about the principle.

You said that “Both clubs have an equally size stadium with SIMILAR AVERAGE ATTENDANCES” this is simply incorrect

5 minutes ago, Drew Peacock said:

But they aren't connected so I don't get your point.

They don’t have to be connected. I’m talking about the principle of large v small allocations. If we are saying we want to give teams a small allocation then we have to be willing to expect the same treatment in return. I’m asking which way you want it.

And to be absolutely clear I’m not talking specifically about Reading.

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

They don’t have to be connected. I’m talking about the principle of large v small allocations. If we are saying we want to give teams a small allocation then we have to be willing to expect the same treatment in return. I’m asking which way you want it.

Let it go 

3 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

That isn't how it works though.  It's a non-point.

12 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I bet you wish you didn’t bother!  Don’t worry it’s completely obvious this was a hypothetical situation and it’s completely obvious what point you were trying to get across and the debate you were trying to start, but what can you do!

3 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

I bet you wish you didn’t bother!  Don’t worry it’s completely obvious this was a hypothetical situation and it’s completely obvious what point you were trying to get across and the debate you were trying to start, but what can you do!

Thanks Tinman. Genuinely appreciate that. It’s just a shame when all I was looking for was an interesting discussion. I think I explained the premise of the poll pretty clearly in the opening post.

13 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Give every away team the whole Atyeo unless the game looks like being a sell out.

I don't care how many tickets they do or don't give us, every bum on a seat is worth more £££££ to BCFC.

I agree. If taking money off an away fan helps our transfer budget or even keeps my ST price down then take the money. If we can’t outsing and intimidate 4000 then that’s our problem not theirs.

Only when we have greater demand, eg ManU last season should we not give the full amount. 

But, I’m more interested in pricing. Hull charged us £12 last season and we charged them nearer £30. I don’t know what the pricing is tomorrow for them but as the away fixture against them is the last game of the season I can’t see it being £12 again! Rotherham away a couple of weeks ago ( weds night) was also an offer price for us, we should offer a deal back.

Stoke etc must be a bit shocked at Championship prices after the £20’s plenty they have been used to, but they are still getting FREE travel this season so that is a huge help. We can only dream.

Archived