IGNORED

Bristol Derbies and their history (Merged)

RedLionLad

4 hours ago, pillred said:

I consider him to be the worst manager we have ever had, and that's saying something!

Sean O’Driscoll put lots of seriously beneficial plans and processes in place behind the scenes that many people won’t be aware of...he also signed Aden Flint ..... he is light years away from being our worst manager....

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Sean O’Driscoll put lots of seriously beneficial plans and processes in place behind the scenes that many people won’t be aware of...he also signed Aden Flint ..... he is light years away from being our worst manager....

go on then who do you think was worse than O'Driscoll, as far as I'm concerned as far as the playing side of things was concerned he was the worse by a country mile.

9 hours ago, pillred said:

go on then who do you think was worse than O'Driscoll, as far as I'm concerned as far as the playing side of things was concerned he was the worse by a country mile.

I really do believe that O'Driscoll gets an enormous amount of unfair stick on here. It's amazing how memories can change over the years. I'll readily admit he was abysmal with the media, but the football we played was quite attractive, he was pretty damn unlucky in many games, and he made some decent signings. All while managing under budget restrictions which no other manager has had to deal with in the past 20 odd years.

Personality-wise, yes he was dull as hell. But our worst manager ever? Not a chance.

7 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

I really do believe that O'Driscoll gets an enormous amount of unfair stick on here. It's amazing how memories can change over the years. I'll readily admit he was abysmal with the media, but the football we played was quite attractive, he was pretty damn unlucky in many games, and he made some decent signings. All while managing under budget restrictions which no other manager has had to deal with in the past 20 odd years.

Personality-wise, yes he was dull as hell. But our worst manager ever? Not a chance.

Was it hell. It was atrocious stuff. Pass, pass, pass along the backline and lump it; and that's if the defence didn't give the ball away in the process. It was American football quarterback stuff, except rather than a skilled player making the cross field or long passes, it was a defender to hoof it. And that was just League One; the stuff we played in our toothless fight in the Championship under him was worse still. 

He identified Aden Flint, he didn't sign him. He wouldn't have if he knew the transfer fee, said so publicly. Great way to boost the confidence of an incoming player. And let's not forget Aden was crap under SOD. I do wonder if it took a new manager to come in and boost his confidence and man manage him and tell him how great he could be (SC) and then a great coach (LJ) to build the player he is. Under SOD he showed no signs or potential. 

From memory and I started supporting at the end of the Terry Cooper days, Pulis and Osman produced the blandest and most depressing football I’ve ever watched BUT under Osman we did beat Liverpool and that’s a memory as a teenager, I will never forget and Osman did try as manager even if he was awful. Pulis tore the club up and put it in awful situation, I will always be indebted to Portsmouth for taking him away. 

People will say about Bennie and Jimmy Lumsden/ SOD/Mcinnes etc but all tried and ultimately weren’t up to it.

38 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

I agree totally with you . SOD just didn't fit with the club in much the same way as Pulis.

He is an honest but perhaps not diplomatic enough guy. Neither the owner of the club nor a lot of City fans wanted to hear the unpleasant truth about where we were when he took over .

One of the main reasons why he was sacked. 

It shouldn't be ignored that he desperately tried to educate us about football, he participated in many supporters events and remained true to his remit.

He failed but it wasn't entirely to blame for our troubles.

9 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I agree totally with you . SOD just didn't fit with the club in much the same way as Pulis.

He is an honest but perhaps not diplomatic enough guy. Neither the owner of the club nor a lot of City fans wanted to hear the unpleasant truth about where we were when he took over .

It shouldn't be ignored that he desperately tried to educate us about football, he participated in many supporters events and remained true to his remit.

When SOD arrived, he came in to a club that was clearly quite poorly, from top to bottom it was evidently a shambles as we lurched from one pillar to the next.

Seem to recall his brief was to steady the ship and then take us on a bit of a journey back to health. Whilst the results were appalling and some of the football far from aspiring there were some signs that things could get better.

Clearly in a sport where quick fixes are seen as a must, as a project it was the wrong time for him, players on generous contracts, youth teamers not developed sufficiently or just not good enough and with us sinking like a stone it was probably best for all that he moved on when he did.

You wonder what he might have achieved with the squad LJ inherited.

48 minutes ago, 29AR said:

Was it hell. It was atrocious stuff. Pass, pass, pass along the backline and lump it; and that's if the defence didn't give the ball away in the process. It was American football quarterback stuff, except rather than a skilled player making the cross field or long passes, it was a defender to hoof it. And that was just League One; the stuff we played in our toothless fight in the Championship under him was worse still. 

He identified Aden Flint, he didn't sign him. He wouldn't have if he knew the transfer fee, said so publicly. Great way to boost the confidence of an incoming player. And let's not forget Aden was crap under SOD. I do wonder if it took a new manager to come in and boost his confidence and man manage him and tell him how great he could be (SC) and then a great coach (LJ) to build the player he is. Under SOD he showed no signs or potential. 

This is 100% not how I remember it. Opinions always differ and a negative memory of him can distort perception in hindsight. But we played nice football, I seem to remember a 2-2 home draw near or at the end of his time here where we played well but ultimately couldn't get the result.

You can pick out Flint but there were other decent signings he made. Frank Fielding who is still our Championship goalkeeper, Derrick Williams, JET, Marlon Pack, even Scott Wagstaff did a useful job. Certainly not a bad record whatsoever, and definitely not one to be considered our 'worst ever'.

15 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

This is a great point. He did lots of bits and pieces with local fans as part of what was the 'five pillars' at the time - I remember he was doing interviews, blogs and podcasts with local fans to try and buy into the new requirements of the club. He worked under a drastically reduced wage bill with barely anything being spent on transfers. Your post is pretty much spot on and how I also see it.

9 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

This is 100% not how I remember it. Opinions always differ and a negative memory of him can distort perception in hindsight. But we played nice football, I seem to remember a 2-2 home draw near or at the end of his time here where we played well but ultimately couldn't get the result.

You can pick out Flint but there were other decent signings he made. Frank Fielding who is still our Championship goalkeeper, Derrick Williams, JET, Marlon Pack, even Scott Wagstaff did a useful job. Certainly not a bad record whatsoever, and definitely not one to be considered our 'worst ever'.

Indeed, and we all have differing opinions on what is 'good football'. Whether that's fast-paced wingers to a CF with a nippy striker, gegenpressing, possession-based or the old-style German efficiency and force. For me, SOD's football was turgid, unimaginative, inexplicable and at odds with the players he had at his disposal... maybe not as far at odds as Chris Wood left wing haha but still. 

Definitely there were good signings, and a few crap but no-one has a perfect record. However, with the exception of JET, I'm not sure how many of them were actually good under SOD. He may have spotted the potential, or they may have subsequently been coached to become what they did, I think it's hard to tell to be honest.

Wagstaff - one of my most favoured players in recent times. One of the most honest and consistent pros we've had.  

3 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

One or two memories aside, I don't recall the Osman era being that much fun.

It wasn't..but with the board we had, miracles were expected and he was given about £3.50 to spend... and David Russe wanted change. It's no wonder we wound up up with the likes of Henry McKop and Glen Pennyfather. 

Archived