IGNORED

Bristol Derbies and their history (Merged)

RedLionLad

Just a couple of minor errors.

It's very, very generous to claim Rovers used to get 20-30,000 regularly at Eastville. In the 50s maybe but not since then.

The term 'Rag Ass Rovers' was used by Barry Fry during an episode of 'Big Ron Manager' back in 2006 to describe his frustration at his under performing Peterborough side. I expect it's a phrase Cotterill had heard over the years amongst other pros and used it to emphasis that Sheff Utd were no pushovers. It’s not Cotts fault if the phrase tapped into Gas insecurities.

Apart from that a very interesting article.

We are mocked by them because we were there in the first division but not the bottom?

Well tell that to every club who falls three leagues on the trot...hmm they can't because 1) We are the only club in History i believe to get relegated in succesive seasons 2) They will never get there.

What about when we were getting 10/11 k at bottom of league 1 after 2 relegation battles in championship! Of course they wouldn't meantion this.

19 minutes ago, phantom said:

and to think there are literally thousands of football fans of those two clubs born in this Millennium asking "What is a Bristol Derby"?

Tbf we have had a few cup matches against them. 

34 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

We are mocked by them because we were there in the first division but not the bottom?

Well tell that to every club who falls three leagues on the trot...hmm they can't because 1) We are the only club in History i believe to get relegated in succesive seasons 

Wolves, also in the 1980s.

Check up on Northampton.

36 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Wolves, also in the 1980s.

Check up on Northampton.

I though Lincoln had done this as well...although that was maybe Div 2 - Div 5 rather than Div 1- Div 4.

Edit: this was Luton not Lincoln.

Wolves have the unenviable and unique double record of 1) winning all four of the top divisions and 2) suffering successive relegations from Div 1 - Div 4.

Wolves fans have truly seen it all.

4 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

Defo written by gas - City fans in the away end at Mansfield mentioned yet again. 

Oh yeah, I missed that. What a load of bollocks, Mansfield fans were adamant in the week after the match that there were no groups of City fans in amongst them. Why would there be? It’s not as if relegation was the likely outcome.

Funny how there’s no mention of Rovers fans in with the Birmingham supporters 12 months earlier when we were relegated from the Championship. They were certainly boasting about it in their old forum at the time.

I'm sorry bit this is just another bitter and jealous saghead desperately trying to be impartial but failing miserably.....it's almost like Holloway wrote it. If I had all day I'm sure I could pick that article to pieces but here are just a few of his fundamentally  flawed gems..................

"The most obvious starting point to understand this derby is the very physical divide between City and Rovers. City are in the South part of Bristol, Rovers are in the North, separated by the River Avon that flows through the city".

Physically, as in stadiums yes but with regard to support, a very lazy, historical view that is no longer valid and hasn’t been for 20 years

"Today, Bristol is well known for its multiculturalism and creative edge, much of which coincidentally comes from the areas immediately surrounding each of the football stadiums; Stokes Croft at Rovers and Southville at City."

Stokes Croft has no relevance or geographical bearing to Rovers whatsoever......other than they both attract the great unwashed.

"Frustration has grown at City over their inability to shake off their neighbours for good. There is that feeling that if Rovers weren’t around, City would have that extra support and financial power to be a Premier League team, and that undoubtedly brings with it significant resentment."

Absolutely laughable.....words fail me

"They point to the percieved lack of loyalty of the City fans who were there for the 1st Division games but disappeared when the going got tough. City fans in turn have condemned Rovers for not helping them out, and rather attempting to finish them off once and for all. The club continued to leak funds, not helped by crowds plummeting from 30000 in the 1st Division to 2 or 3000 in the lower leagues."

Absolute horse shit. We averaged just under 7,000 during the slide with the lowest average being over 4,700

"Rovers have stuck with their team all the way down to non-league, and there is a begrudging respect of the loyalty they have always shown"

Here we go again with this self-proclaimed “loyalty” bullcrap……I promise you, nobody respects you for your "loyalty" or indeed anything

"City play at Ashton Gate as they have since 1904, and Rovers, while now at the Memorial Stadium, remain in the same part of town as always."

What apart from 10 years in a completely different city…….franchise eh?

"Perhaps the safety net and comfort of Rovers being below them has prevented them keeping their eyes on the prize."

One of the most cringeworthy gas logic comments I have ever read

"There is a feeling that despite the dominance that the red half has had, Rovers have proved impossible to shake off. There is extreme pride from the blue side of their ability to fluorish when their backs are against the wall."

Impossible to shake off? We do not need to shake you off.....you are an insignificance, an embarrassment to Bristol and have no bearing on us, on or off the pitch.

"Depending on the fortunes of each club at any given time, “Mind the Gap” is a refrain heard either side of the Avon. To City, Rovers have proved to be like a bad smell they can’t quite get rid of."

So, what you mean is if the gas win one game they're fans come out of the woodwork telling us they’re “coming for us” whilst City use it to reiterate the 18 year gap both on and off the pitch  

Sorry but since when have they had support for it to be loyal? throughout the last 18 years I cant remember there average attendance getting into 5 figures I cant remember ours not being 5 figures - I assume the last time ours wasn't 5 figures was when were managed by a gashead.

So that article says they got crowds of up to 30,000 at Eastville, yet their last game at that stadium had a crowd of less than 4,000, and it also says they only got 5,000 at Trumpton  and now their ‘crowds’ hover around 7,000 - yet we are apparently ‘jealous’ of their loyalty?! So they only lost 25,000 ‘supporters’ moving from Eastville to Bath - impressive - or, the author totally made up the 30k attendances at Eastville....surely not?! They aren’t known for exaggerating attendance figures both home and away are they?!

Other than that, I thought it was a good read....

26 minutes ago, Pezo said:

Sorry but since when have they had support for it to be loyal? throughout the last 18 years I cant remember there average attendance getting into 5 figures I cant remember ours not being 5 figures - I assume the last time ours wasn't 5 figures was when were managed by a gashead.

Their average attendance hasn’t been 5 figures since 1976, 42 years ago.

Apparently loved and admired by everyone.....unless you’re from Bristol, says a lot really.

An interesting read, but it seems to over-play the "loyal" myth the fewers like to perpetuate, when in actual fact their attendances have been pretty poor for a generation. Even when they had some sort of curse over us in the 1980s crowds for derbies at their place were quite low - I'm sure there was a crowd of fewer than 6,000 for one league derby at Trumpton.

2 minutes ago, sglosbcfc said:

Decent article but a few errors as have been pointed out. I've never seen the suspension bridge as the divide between the City and Rovers supports.

It’s not and has never been. He is just taking the whole ‘south of the river’ thing literally 

I’ll have to dig out the old stadium planning document that shows we have as much if not more support outside of south bristol

18 minutes ago, RedRaw said:

It’s not and has never been. He is just taking the whole ‘south of the river’ thing literally 

I’ll have to dig out the old stadium planning document that shows we have as much if not more support outside of south bristol

Things have changed a lot in the past 30 years, there are loads of City fans in Kingswood - Hanham now.

2 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

So that article says they got crowds of up to 30,000 at Eastville, yet their last game at that stadium had a crowd of less than 4,000, and it also says they only got 5,000 at Trumpton  and now their ‘crowds’ hover around 7,000 - yet we are apparently ‘jealous’ of their loyalty?! So they only lost 25,000 ‘supporters’ moving from Eastville to Bath - impressive - or, the author totally made up the 30k attendances at Eastville....surely not?! They aren’t known for exaggerating attendance figures both home and away are they?!

Other than that, I thought it was a good read....

It seems the counting of the thousands "locked out" goes way back in their history - not just a modern day phenomenon.

4 minutes ago, Flounder said:

In this day and age of camera phones CCTV and social media has anyone ever see a picture of a City fan at the Mem that day?

Nope because the odds of them actually going down that day must of been 30-40/1 - it was an absolute freak set of results and frankly what City fan wanted to witness a celebration of avoiding relegation at the Mem. 

Archived