IGNORED

LJ is too Defensive

Kevin Brady

I am quite new to this forum and have moved  to a few rows back from the home dug out. Till recently, I've been too far away to hear touchline verbals. From my new vantage point, home game after home game, the one thing that stands out is what Johnson's shouts. A conservative 80% of what he screams, bellows and gesticulates to his players is defensive in content and style. I rarely hear him encourage the lads to attack, battle, win, get stuck in,  link up, have a go, get behind, make runs, do what they are good at, express themselves etc. So many of the younger players are constantly looking over towards him and taking instructions on an almost a minute by minute basis. I wish he would take the handbrake off, make them all feel a million dollars and give them license to attack and play to their strengths. It all looks and feels too defensive 

Is it me? are all gaffers like this?

3 minutes ago, Kevin Brady said:

I am quite new to this forum and have moved  to a few rows back from the home dug out. Till recently, I've been too far away to hear touchline verbals. From my new vantage point, home game after home game, the one thing that stands out is what Johnson's shouts. A conservative 80% of what he screams, bellows and gesticulates to his players is defensive in content and style. I rarely hear him encourage the lads to attack, battle, win, get stuck in,  link up, have a go, get behind, make runs, do what they are good at, express themselves etc. So many of the younger players are constantly looking over towards him and taking instructions on an almost a minute by minute basis. I wish he would take the handbrake off, make them all feel a million dollars and give them license to attack and play to their strengths. It all looks and feels too defensive 

Almost all managers will tell you that a solid defence is the bedrock of the team - if you do t concede then at least you you’ll get a point.

That said, no doubt at all that like all mangers LJ wants his players to express themselves, get stuck in an attack, battle, link up, make runs and work hard.......I’m sure that message is ingrained in every professional footballer, they’ll have heard it everywhere they’ve been in their footballing career.

45 minutes ago, Kevin Brady said:

Perhaps he's too rigid in his game plan? And the players are too scared to show initiative…:noexp:

Interesting thread.

@Kevin Brady It's an aspect of modern football- would be interesting if you define what shape and style you want- that would help the discussion?

Teams are in many ways more tactically astute, better drilled, fitter to name 3 aspects than ever.

Wouldn't say he's too defensive as such personally, as tactically flawed- for me it's neither too defensive or offensive, but just tactically flawed in a mix of areas.

Should also add we have hit the woodwork 11 times in 16 games- a few of those go in and our figures look somewhat rosier!! Still though, 20 goals to 11 woodwork strikes is a very high ratio.

It's clear we are trying to be a bit more defensively solid this season. It was even alluded to when he talked about targeting defenders in the summer.

Our issue under Johnson has never been a lack of goals but defensive vulnerability, so it absolutely makes sense that he is focusing on that side of things.

35 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

It's clear we are trying to be a bit more defensively solid this season. It was even alluded to when he talked about targeting defenders in the summer.

Our issue under Johnson has never been a lack of goals but defensive vulnerability, so it absolutely makes sense that he is focusing on that side of things.

It’s tough to get the right balance then because a lack of goals is becoming an issue...yet we still concede

39 minutes ago, David Brent said:

It’s tough to get the right balance then because a lack of goals is becoming an issue...yet we still concede

7 of the 18 we conceded came in 2 games, the other 11 across 16 games.

West Brom and Reading aside our defensive record has been pretty decent overall, and even including them we have the 8th least goals conceded.

Our goals scored is bang on midtable.

5 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

7 of the 18 we conceded came in 2 games, the other 11 across 16 games.

West Brom and Reading aside our defensive record has been pretty decent overall, and even including them we have the 8th least goals conceded.

Our goals scored is bang on midtable.

We've also hit the woodwork 11 times in 16 games- nobody really mentions that, except me! :laugh:

5 hours ago, The Horse With No Name said:

I think this shows with Lloyd Kelly in particular. Last season when he played, he loved bombing down the line, but this season he has become very defensive and negative , with every pass he makes going backwards. 

I've also noticed this. But think back to LJs playing days with us. He would pick the ball up from the back 4, look around for a forward pass but if no one was making a run (as usually was the case) he would give it back to the back 4. Because of this he was slated for  being negative. I think it's in his managerial mindset to have us play as he did. I personally think it's cautious play rather than negative or defensive. It's what he thinks is the best way to play but I think it's boring and frustrating. Our first thought always seems to be the safest option which usually means backwards or sideways.

Archived