IGNORED

Bobby Moore

cidered abroad

From the thread title I thought the OP was going to say that the FA have announced that Moore will be playing one last England game to raise money for his charity!

1 hour ago, archie andrews said:

weren't it norman hunter that dropped the bollock v poland 

Yes, it was Hunter's mistake at Wembley. IIRC the bad mistake made by Bobby Moore (and referred to here) was in the game in Poland, which I believe was in Katowice. I promise that I haven't Googled this - just my ancient memory at work. Odd that I can remember this but I can't remember why I went upstairs a few minutes ago.

Update: Googled it now. Second Polish goal. Howler. Still the greatest defender that I've seen though and a thoroughly good man. Deserved much better than he got - treated very badly by the idiots at the FA.

Well, Well.

On 14 February 1993, he publicly announced he was suffering from bowel and liver cancer; by this stage the cancer had spread. Three days later, he commentated on an England match against San Marino at Wembley, alongside his friend Jonathan Pearce. That was to be his final public appearance; seven days later on 24 February, at 6.36 am, he died at the age of 51.

I vaguely remember this, but failed to appreciate its significance at the time.

3 hours ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

I watched it with Mrs Bung and I agree totally, a man shat on by the useless ******* idiots at the FA and even worse by his club West Ham United, it is an absolute tragedy the way he was treated by these morons, just the greatest defender, footballer and gent England ever produced totally world class in every way.

What about Paul Mariner?

12 hours ago, Calculus said:

Yes, it was Hunter's mistake at Wembley. IIRC the bad mistake made by Bobby Moore (and referred to here) was in the game in Poland, which I believe was in Katowice. I promise that I haven't Googled this - just my ancient memory at work. Odd that I can remember this but I can't remember why I went upstairs a few minutes ago.

Update: Googled it now. Second Polish goal. Howler. Still the greatest defender that I've seen though and a thoroughly good man. Deserved much better than he got - treated very badly by the idiots at the FA.

Your glasses . 

Archived