IGNORED

C'OD ... in talks

WhistleHappy

17 minutes ago, WhistleHappy said:

Will he sign a contract extension? 

Hope so...  

Hope so too, has promise and is highly rated by Martin O'Neil who uses him in a more central midfield role. That said if he wont we need to get what we can for him in January, although he would probably become yet another minus on the balance sheet of LJs signings.

14 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Hope so too, has promise and is highly rated by Martin O'Neil who uses him in a more central midfield role. That said if he wont we need to get what we can for him in January, although he would probably become yet another minus on the balance sheet of LJs signings.

If we can't get 1.2 million for him I'd be very disappointed tbh

COD will be gone in January, if not the summer. Regular starts for Ireland under O'Neill/Keane and bench warming under LJ, I'm sure will be the main driver. I've also heard that talks broke down months ago and that Callum has lost all confidence in Johnson. When that happens there tends to be only one outcome. 

1 hour ago, swanker said:

I hope he starts delivering on the pitch myself. If the lad we’ve signed from Scunthorpe is any good then O’Dowda will be lucky to get a game on recent performances. 

I agree but he's barely had a chance. We are crying out for a CM (or an attacking one at least) and much more experienced coaches than LJ are trying him there and seeing him play well. It just seems too obvious doesn't it?

1 hour ago, June Bailey said:

COD will be gone in January, if not the summer. Regular starts for Ireland under O'Neill/Keane and bench warming under LJ, I'm sure will be the main driver. I've also heard that talks broke down months ago and that Callum has lost all confidence in Johnson. When that happens there tends to be only one outcome. 

Sadly I can see this being the case. Starting under better managers in an arguably better competition(international v championship). It has been the biggest gripe of LJ for years. Doesn’t give anyone time to find a rhythm. COD will start a game then get 5 on the bench. Then instead of resting Brownhill he plays him out wide over COD.

The injury was bad timing and he hasn’t looked as good but when his form starting going up was when he had 7-8 games in a row of 60-90 minutes. He needs that again and tbh he should be getting the minutes over Paterson. Hell Watkins should be getting the minutes too over JP but again LJ has some favourites and shuffles everyone else around

1 hour ago, June Bailey said:

Johnson's going ? 

1 hour ago, JoeAman08 said:

Sadly I can see this being the case. Starting under better managers in an arguably better competition(international v championship). It has been the biggest gripe of LJ for years. Doesn’t give anyone time to find a rhythm. COD will start a game then get 5 on the bench. Then instead of resting Brownhill he plays him out wide over COD.

The injury was bad timing and he hasn’t looked as good but when his form starting going up was when he had 7-8 games in a row of 60-90 minutes. He needs that again and tbh he should be getting the minutes over Paterson. Hell Watkins should be getting the minutes too over JP but again LJ has some favourites and shuffles everyone else around

I'm 36, overweight. and dyspraxic and there are times when I feel I should be getting the minutes over Paterson...

3 hours ago, June Bailey said:

Not necessarily disputing what you're saying but I've seen a few times on here people say player x or player y has fallen out with Johnson. 9 times out of 10, they seem to end up signing new contracts. I thought COD's starts under LJ had largely been stuttering due to fitness rather than him not being picked. I very much hope he stays. 

2 hours ago, nebristolred said:

I agree but he's barely had a chance. We are crying out for a CM (or an attacking one at least) and much more experienced coaches than LJ are trying him there and seeing him play well. It just seems too obvious doesn't it?

Depends on whether you have the right partner for him. Frankly a CM of COD and Pack/Brownhill sounds like something only Derek McInnes would do, to me. 

Callum's great games/mediocre game quotient still tilts too much to the latter for my liking, but I think he has got it in him to be consistently excellent. He's improving all the time  and we should keep hold of him unless he's wanting silly money*.

* I realise that all football salaries are "silly money"

According to LJ yesterday - nobody us a bigger believer in Callum. 

Why not play him then?

COD will be gone in January, if not the summer. Regular starts for Ireland under O'Neill/Keane and bench warming under LJ, I'm sure will be the main driver. I've also heard that talks broke down months ago and that Callum has lost all confidence in Johnson. 

Where did you hear this, June?

Wouldn't surprise me. Aden Flint, Joe Bryan, Bobby Reid, and an increasing majority of Bristol City fans have also lost all confidence in Johnson. When someone tears everything up, starts again, and tells you a completely different way to play every single week, with a completely new set of managerial buzzwords, you do tend to lose confidence in them. It's bad enough hearing it in the press before and after each match. What is it this week? "We continue to provide the correct process for the players to go and be successful." Until next week when it is another new buzzword. If I was a player having to listen to this every single day, and not just pre and post match in the press, I would be heartily sick of it. And yet gullible Lansdown sucks it up like an 8 year old swilling Coca-Cola. 

1 hour ago, Boston Red said:

Wouldn't surprise me. Aden Flint, Joe Bryan, Bobby Reid, and an increasing majority of Bristol City fans have also lost all confidence in Johnson. When someone tears everything up, starts again, and tells you a completely different way to play every single week, with a completely new set of managerial buzzwords, you do tend to lose confidence in them. It's bad enough hearing it in the press before and after each match. What is it this week? "We continue to provide the correct process for the players to go and be successful." Until next week when it is another new buzzword. If I was a player having to listen to this every single day, and not just pre and post match in the press, I would be heartily sick of it. And yet gullible Lansdown sucks it up like an 8 year old swilling Coca-Cola. 

Again, is there actually a source for any of this or is it just speculation? I've no idea on Flint or Bryan but it'd surprise me a bit if Bobby Reid had lost confidence in Johnson given Johnson was the one who identified his potential as a striker and gave him the platform that has put him into the premier league. I've got some reservations about Johnson but it'd nonetheless be good to be clear when people are sharing actual inside information and when people are saying "I don't like Johnson so I'm guessing nobody else does either". 

5 hours ago, June Bailey said:

Wouldn't surprise me, they tried to get Reid to resign on the cheap and until the last minute still thought he would sign whatever they gave him. He wanted to stay but we basically pushed him away. OK we got £10 million for him, which is good business, but when offering contracts surely you have to factor in the singing fees of the new players as well as wages and we should have maybe been a little more generous. Can't help but think things would be a lot different so far if he was still with us.

1 minute ago, LondonBristolian said:

Again, is there actually a source for any of this or is it just speculation? I've no idea on Flint or Bryan but it'd surprise me a bit if Bobby Reid had lost confidence in Johnson given Johnson was the one who identified his potential as a striker and gave him the platform that has put him into the premier league.

Only the fact that it is in the public domain that he refused to sign multiple contract offers and said he wanted to leave the club, which he then did. Of course "WANTING TO LEAVE BRISTOL CITY" and "LOSING FAITH IN LJ" are not necessarily the same thing, but the fact remains that Flint, Reid, Bryan, and now possibly O'Dowda, did not want to play for Bristol City Football Club when the Manager of Bristol City Football Club was Lee Johnson. Perhaps I am being unfair, LondonBristolian, and you are right to demand accuracy when there is talk like this, which was why I wondered what June's source was for saying COD had lost faith in LJ (see above). 

2 hours ago, Boston Red said:

Boston

Its doesn't really matter where I heard this. I believe the source 100%. This one isn't going to be done, despite LJ's press call rhetoric.

7 hours ago, WhistleHappy said:

Will he sign a contract extension? 

Hope so...  

I’ll put my tin hat on here, but I don’t really care if he does or not. 

His first season for us he did extremely little, you give him a break for that because he was adjusting to the league. 

Last season, he goes on this little run of 4 or 5 games in October/early November where he plays well, scored against palace, changed the game away at Sunderland. Once back from injury, he wasn’t great & I feel his end of season form has carried on into this one.

Archived