IGNORED

C'OD ... in talks

WhistleHappy

Luke Freeman left in the Jan window for a paltry fee and a lot of people went meh.

He's now well appreciated by qpr fans, with speculation on other teams offering reasonably big money for him.

I expect something similar will happen   with COD. Think there is a very good player in there but  LJ doesn't get the best out of him for whatever reason. 

5 hours ago, Boston Red said:

Where did you hear this, June?

Wouldn't surprise me. Aden Flint, Joe Bryan, Bobby Reid, and an increasing majority of Bristol City fans have also lost all confidence in Johnson. When someone tears everything up, starts again, and tells you a completely different way to play every single week, with a completely new set of managerial buzzwords, you do tend to lose confidence in them. It's bad enough hearing it in the press before and after each match. What is it this week? "We continue to provide the correct process for the players to go and be successful." Until next week when it is another new buzzword. If I was a player having to listen to this every single day, and not just pre and post match in the press, I would be heartily sick of it. And yet gullible Lansdown sucks it up like an 8 year old swilling Coca-Cola. 

Bit of an assumption to say over 50% of fans have lost faith with Johnson at the moment.

4 hours ago, Carey 6 said:

I’ll put my tin hat on here, but I don’t really care if he does or not. 

His first season for us he did extremely little, you give him a break for that because he was adjusting to the league. 

Last season, he goes on this little run of 4 or 5 games in October/early November where he plays well, scored against palace, changed the game away at Sunderland. Once back from injury, he wasn’t great & I feel his end of season form has carried on into this one.

You will need the hat Carey. Most of COD's appearances leading up to his injury were nothing short of outstanding. For such an attacking player, his defensive nous is quite rare. LJ has been brilliant......at transforming a naturally gifted attacking winger into a negative, defence minded bench warming full international who will walk away from the club on a free. Top job Mr J!!

6 hours ago, Carey 6 said:

I’ll put my tin hat on here, but I don’t really care if he does or not. 

His first season for us he did extremely little, you give him a break for that because he was adjusting to the league. 

Last season, he goes on this little run of 4 or 5 games in October/early November where he plays well, scored against palace, changed the game away at Sunderland. Once back from injury, he wasn’t great & I feel his end of season form has carried on into this one.

Totally agree. He's OK when he can sprint at a weak or tiring defence but he's not developed much at all and seems to me to doubt himself often. I don't mind if he stays or goes.

17 hours ago, robin_unreliant said:

Luke Freeman left in the Jan window for a paltry fee and a lot of people went meh.

He's now well appreciated by qpr fans, with speculation on other teams offering reasonably big money for him.

I expect something similar will happen   with COD. Think there is a very good player in there but  LJ doesn't get the best out of him for whatever reason. 

I'd say the main reason would be the fact that he doesn't play him.

17 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

It would be chicken feed if he's sold in January.

Should we expect 'poultry' offers for COD then Major?

(btw, do chickens even eat fish?) :dunno:  

PS.. when the chips are down if its clear he's going to become 'one that got away' surely we can do 'batter' for him than that.

I think he deserves a regular plaice in the team though, rather than stringing him along like a fish out of water.

6 hours ago, WhistleHappy said:

… so he's good enough for Ireland internationals but you think COD is out of his depth here? 

I don't think he's out of his depth as such, I just don't see what he brings to the team. 1 goal and 6 assists in 72 appearances is not a good enough return for an attacking player.

On 08/11/2018 at 13:44, Fiale said:

Wouldn't surprise me, they tried to get Reid to resign on the cheap and until the last minute still thought he would sign whatever they gave him. He wanted to stay but we basically pushed him away. OK we got £10 million for him, which is good business, but when offering contracts surely you have to factor in the singing fees of the new players as well as wages and we should have maybe been a little more generous. Can't help but think things would be a lot different so far if he was still with us.

Am I reading this right?

Bobby wanted to stay with us and we pushed him away?

And....not play in the premier-league, double his wages, progress his career....???

25 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Am I reading this right?

Bobby wanted to stay with us and we pushed him away?

And....not play in the premier-league, double his wages, progress his career....???

His contract negotiations started well before he was looking at other clubs,  we just took it for granted he would sign. The club seem pretty naive at times, just because someone has spent their entire life at the club doesn't mean they will just accept whatever crap you offer them. We have been really generous with some players, but were pretty loathe to open the wallet with Bobby. So yes, he looked elsewhere, got to more than double his wages, and plays in the prem, we got £10 million and a large hole to fill. 

5 hours ago, AshtonGreat said:

I don't think he's out of his depth as such, I just don't see what he brings to the team. 1 goal and 6 assists in 72 appearances is not a good enough return for an attacking player.

Would be interesting to see the full breakdown of these appearances though Ashton.

I.e. how many were 90 minutes?

What position did he play?

LM? RM? CAM? LWB? CM? CF? Pretty sure LJ has only got to play COD in GK, RB,  and CB, and he's our John O'Shea.

We're 80% there. Did you know he's Irish? 

14 hours ago, Fiale said:

His contract negotiations started well before he was looking at other clubs,  we just took it for granted he would sign. The club seem pretty naive at times, just because someone has spent their entire life at the club doesn't mean they will just accept whatever crap you offer them. We have been really generous with some players, but were pretty loathe to open the wallet with Bobby. So yes, he looked elsewhere, got to more than double his wages, and plays in the prem, we got £10 million and a large hole to fill. 

The thing is, he was one who was needed to be sold because of the huge hole in our accounts last season. With such a loss in mind, selling him this summer may have been a necessity in any case.

However I wish we'd been able to keep him- goals, assists, workrate- knowing when to press at the right time, and yeah technical ability which undoubtedly helped the team.

Weimann? Has the workrate, good pressing and solid technical ability IMO, but insufficient goals or assists to date- zero after his brilliant start says a lot (it was 5 goals and 1 assist in his first 6).

Maybe if he breaks his duck soon, he can go on a run again, bit like the team in fact- we are undoubtedly missing Reid though!

Archived