IGNORED

Apparently, ...

The Original OTIB

last year we weren't Man City (Wannabees), but Leicester City (Wannabees)... I honestly think he's making it up as he goes along:

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/video-lee-johnson-pre-preston-north-end-home/ (from 28 Seconds):

"... it's different from last year, where last year we sat off the ball and counter attacked, this year the attributes of our players are completely different to the attributes we had last year..."

26 minutes ago, The Original OTIB said:

last year we weren't Man City (Wannabees), but Leicester City (Wannabees)... I honestly think he's making it up as he goes along:

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/video-lee-johnson-pre-preston-north-end-home/ (from 28 Seconds):

"... it's different from last year, where last year we sat off the ball and counter attacked, this year the attributes of our players are completely different to the attributes we had last year..."

I am confused.  What are you meaning in regards to Man City and Leicester?  He doesn't mention them.

What he says in the video makes sense to me.  Our players have changed and so our style has changed.  

I do think people need to realise that this team is almost entirely new.  It takes time, especially with such young players. 

1 minute ago, RedDave said:

I am confused.  What are you meaning in regards to Man City and Leicester?  He doesn't mention them.

What he says in the video makes sense to me.  Our players have changed and so our style has changed.  

I do think people need to realise that this team is almost entirely new.  It takes time, especially with such young players. 

last year we sat off the ball and counter attacked. Really?

Last season didn’t strike me as counter attacking but more of a pressing style by winning the ball has high as possible but that changed when Famara returned from injury.

Reid was an important part of the press with his mobility and maybe that’s what LJ is referring to. 

9 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Our players have changed and so our style has changed.  

What is our style, changed or otherwise because I do not have a clue.......and neither does LJ from the comment quoted.

We keep being told that all players/teams through the unders, academy and first team are being coached in the same way.......what is that way? And if they are, they should naturally slide into our way of playing regardless of age.

And why is it an "entirely new" team? 3 key players left, granted......but why the continual churn of players and apparent "ripping up and starting again" of LJ's reign? 

19 minutes ago, RedRaw said:

What is our style, changed or otherwise because I do not have a clue.......and neither does LJ from the comment quoted.

We keep being told that all players/teams through the unders, academy and first team are being coached in the same way.......what is that way? And if they are, they should naturally slide into our way of playing regardless of age.

And why is it an "entirely new" team? 3 key players left, granted......but why the continual churn of players and apparent "ripping up and starting again" of LJ's reign? 

It is pretty much a new team.  Looking at our 4-4-2 and keeper, we have a new back four and keeper, 1 or 2 of the midfield 4 is new every game and 1 of the 2 strikers is new.  

So out of 11 players there are usually 7 new players, maybe 8.  That is a lot to manage and coach together.

36 minutes ago, RedRaw said:

It cannot be the same due to differing developmental stages e.g. U12's are playing nine a side, development teams may play 4-3-3, but the underling principles of interplay via pass and move, ball retention, managing the ball through the thirds are present until Lee Johnsons XI - Its an intermittent.

The XI and Mr Johnson is the only team where results really matter … An opinion can be Lee Johnson is chasing short term results v long term development of a model of play, and that result based major constraint clouds view of long terms. 

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

Last season didn’t strike me as counter attacking but more of a pressing style by winning the ball has high as possible but that changed when Famara returned from injury.

Reid was an important part of the press with his mobility and maybe that’s what LJ is referring to. 

Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day!

Evil twin is absolutely right in this.

2 hours ago, RedDave said:

It is pretty much a new team.  Looking at our 4-4-2 and keeper, we have a new back four and keeper, 1 or 2 of the midfield 4 is new every game and 1 of the 2 strikers is new.  

So out of 11 players there are usually 7 new players, maybe 8.  That is a lot to manage and coach together.

Now I have walked around your post a few times.

2 hours ago, RedRaw said:

We keep being told that all players/teams through the unders, academy and first team are being coached in the same way.......what is that way? 

See that way? No way have you answered it with the WAY.

2 hours ago, RedDave said:

They are his choices and he must have watched them many times and probably spoke to them even. Anyway what was pre-season and the training session in Spain for again?

Other teams also have newbies so its a pretty lame excuse really.

32 minutes ago, The Original OTIB said:

Is this true then: "last year we sat off the ball and counter-attacked" ?

I don’t think we sat off the ball but winning the ball back does start counter attacks. We did play a pressing and countering game. Only sat back in the cup. This season we do seem to be a more patient and possesion type team. Think it suits us tbh but has lacked at times

4 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I don’t think we sat off the ball but winning the ball back does start counter attacks. We did play a pressing and countering game. Only sat back in the cup. This season we do seem to be a more patient and possesion type team. Think it suits us tbh but has lacked at times

It simply is not true that we "sat off the ball". It is utterly baffling that he can say such a thing. The essence of counter-attack is to cede possession for large parts of the game. Our overall possession stats and what we all saw tell a completely different story. 

6 minutes ago, The Original OTIB said:

It simply is not true that we "sat off the ball". It is utterly baffling that he can say such a thing. The essence of counter-attack is to cede possession for large parts of the game. Our overall possession stats and what we all saw tell a completely different story. 

We did have games where we dominated possesion but those were usually against the lesser sides in the league. Just had a look at some of out games from last season in Nov-Dec. We had a couple where we had over 55%. A couple under 45% and the rest were around 50/50. We didn’t dominate sides with possesion and this was in out best run of form. I don’t think he is lying about it just because we remember it differently. 

11 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

We did have games where we dominated possesion but those were usually against the lesser sides in the league. Just had a look at some of out games from last season in Nov-Dec. We had a couple where we had over 55%. A couple under 45% and the rest were around 50/50. We didn’t dominate sides with possesion and this was in out best run of form. I don’t think he is lying about it just because we remember it differently. 

Who said he was lying? Utterly confused would be my reading of the statement. We simply did not sit off teams for the greater part of last season. 

15 minutes ago, The Original OTIB said:

Who said he was lying? Utterly confused would be my reading of the statement. We simply did not sit off teams for the greater part of last season. 

But we did at times. We averaged 52% possesion which means for 43 minutes per game we weren’t in possession. At times I felt we wanted the opposition to have the ball so we could press them and win the ball back. Could be worded better by LJ I am sure but we simply didn’t batter teams with 60-65% possession. A big part of our game was to allow possesion in certain areas so we could orgainse a press. How I look at it anyway. Sit back a poor choice of words I think because I agree we didn’t do that. Not in how you would define it nowadays. We did however get into a defensive shape and let teams play at times. 

36 minutes ago, The Original OTIB said:

City adopted various means of defending. The team did drop off and screen at times, block passing options then press the ball as it entered zones/worked off trigger points. 

The above does not equal conceding the majority of possession and adopting low block/compact shape etc

18 minutes ago, The Original OTIB said:

My reading is it would not be true either, but its also true that the team did not play a high press consistently.   

Strange comments from LJ admittedly.

4 hours ago, The Horse With No Name said:

If Bobby Reid was so important to our style of play last season, and of course,he was, why didn't they go out and buy somebody who could play that role adequately , so that the whole playing ethos of the club could continue.

Maybe he did THWNN but we just haven't seen them yet? Maybe Adelukan and / or Eisa can play that role? I've no idea in all honesty but I'm trying to work out what on earth LJ is getting at with those comments without 'bashing' him.

5 hours ago, The Original OTIB said:

last year we sat off the ball and counter attacked. Really?

On some occasions when the opposition was better than us yes, but not all the time. My point was that he brought in all the new players, and if they aren't capable of playing as we did last season then that must be his plan to change things, otherwise he is a ******* who doesn't have a clue about who the club is buying on his say so.

7 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

On some occasions when the opposition was better than us yes, but not all the time. My point was that he brought in all the new players, and if they aren't capable of playing as we did last season then that must be his plan to change things, otherwise he is a ******* who doesn't have a clue about who the club is buying on his say so.

?

9 hours ago, The Horse With No Name said:

If Bobby Reid was so important to our style of play last season, and of course,he was, why didn't they go out and buy somebody who could play that role adequately , so that the whole playing ethos of the club could continue.

Absolutely agree. Weinmann runs himself into the ground for us but he's not Bobby.

Archived