IGNORED

Warnock announces Cardiff will probably be his last job in football.

LondonBristolian

Hope so. The games better off without people like him. Anti football. Encourages his players to do everything we all hate as fans. 

Before anyone says it. No I wouldn’t want him here. He might have an impressive cv come the end of his career but I won’t be sorry to see the back of him. 

2 hours ago, CliftonCliff said:

He'll go to the first relegation-threatened club that waves a fat wodge of cash under his nose to get him to dig them out of the mire.

The day he does leave the game - if that ever happens - I'll treat myself to a glass of very good Champagne. Can't stand the bugger.

Problem there is once the bottle’s opened. . .

3 hours ago, Dredd said:

Hope so. The games better off without people like him. Anti football. Encourages his players to do everything we all hate as fans. 

The game is better off without hugely successful characters with an entertaining media persona? I don’t agree....I hate the textbook, cliche-filled, dull utterances from the vast majority of managers whenever a microphone is in front of them...Neil Warnock marched into a press conference after a game vs City with a copy of the Bristol Post under his arm and started quoting LJ opinions from articles therein.....highly enjoyable, unusual and good fun. The game is stale enough...hope he stays around. 

And you know he ‘encourages his players to do everything we all hate as fans’? How do you know this? 

3 hours ago, Dredd said:

Hope so. The games better off without people like him. Anti football. Encourages his players to do everything we all hate as fans. 

Before anyone says it. No I wouldn’t want him here. He might have an impressive cv come the end of his career but I won’t be sorry to see the back of him. 

There is more than one way to skin a cat and before you know it you will be crying out for people like Warnock in our sterile game

4 hours ago, chinapig said:

Scroll down to Quote of the day here:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/nov/08/the-fiver-jose-mourinho-manchester-united

?

I read the article earlier and also smiled at the quote.

I also found this snippet interesting: I had forgotten just how many unsavoury incidents he has been involved in.

Of course, that José is not for everyone. Despite boasting a lengthy rap-sheet that includes gouging Tito Vilanova’s eye, prompting the pile-on that forced respected referee Anders Frisk to retire and helping Eva Carneiro out of her job at Chelsea, among other highlights, José’s comparatively mild and harmless taunting of the Juve crowd seems to have got assorted commentators clutching their pearls and reaching for the smelling-salts. 

21 hours ago, Dredd said:

Honest question. I do not like his style of play but would you take just one season of Warnock if it got us promoted to the prem? I would and I'd cheer him along the way. We could always ditch him afterwards.

Wouldn't want him necessarily, but he is excellent for a quote- plus his record speaks for itself.

His football hasn't always been the worst either- seem to recall his Sheffield United and QPR sides being reasonable, Palace first time around be brought in youth. He seems to have doubled down on his lng ball game though, long way from any of those 3 clubs/jobs and yeah he wouldn't be suitable for us and the plan IMO- unless he reverted to a less pragmatic and more youth focused game plan like in those examples. Given how many clubs he has managed though, they were surely outliers- the exception to the rule. Oh yeah, and he also did something very few have- got a tune out of the mercurial underachiever Adel Taarabt.

19 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

The game is better off without hugely successful characters with an entertaining media persona? I don’t agree....I hate the textbook, cliche-filled, dull utterances from the vast majority of managers whenever a microphone is in front of them...Neil Warnock marched into a press conference after a game vs City with a copy of the Bristol Post under his arm and started quoting LJ opinions from articles therein.....highly enjoyable, unusual and good fun. The game is stale enough...hope he stays around. 

And you know he ‘encourages his players to do everything we all hate as fans’? How do you know this? 

Top post spot on

You know what he WOULD be good at.

He maybe too old now to be a manager, to be a manager maybe getting some younger players through like at Palace in 07-09, or Sheffield United or promotion with good football and alright in PL like QPR, but Director of Football? Think with his experience, knowledge he would be a great Director of Football- so long as he didn't have input on the playing side, why not DOF? Younger manager could benefit a lot I reckon.

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

You know what he WOULD be good at.

He maybe too old now to be a manager, to be a manager maybe getting some younger players through like at Palace in 07-09, or Sheffield United or promotion with good football and alright in PL like QPR, but Director of Football? Think with his experience, knowledge he would be a great Director of Football- so long as he didn't have input on the playing side, why not DOF? Younger manager could benefit a lot I reckon.

I think a big part of the reason his teams are so successful is that the players would run through brick walls for him, its why Warnock sides tend to be more mentally tough. They're one hundred percent committed to him and I wonder if that'd be achievable as a DoF?

Warnock thrives on being hated by the fans of every team he isn’t managing at the time - including us. 

His football is dire - but effective. It is absolutely perfect for this division - from saving lost causes from relegation (Rotherham) to getting crap teams promoted (Cardiff). 

I enjoy listening to his rants on tv - particularly when his team loses. 

I love the guy - and I love it when we beat him. He’s a panto villain in my book - but the panto wouldn’t be the same without him. He is the Skeletor of football.

He did say at some point he would like to manage us - apparently. 

4 hours ago, marmite said:

Honest question. I do not like his style of play but would you take just one season of Warnock if it got us promoted to the prem? I would and I'd cheer him along the way. We could always ditch him afterwards.

Personally I’d rather not. The Prem isn’t the be all and end all for me. 

But, I support Bristol City, that’s regardless of who the manager is, and a season in the Prem sets the club up for a long long time. 

Tough one. For the club, yes. Given the option of anyone else. Absolutely. 

22 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I love that footballs all about opinions and I’m sure many many agree with you. He’s a divisive character. 

Personally, I can’t stand the moaning, the cheating (see the battle of Bramall Lane), the time wasting, the feigning injury, and that seems to follow him around. No coincidence in my opinion. 

I do agree with you in that there’s that smug sense of satisfaction that comes with getting one over on him, but give me a Klopp character over a Warnock any day 

58 minutes ago, Dredd said:

I love that footballs all about opinions and I’m sure many many agree with you. He’s a divisive character. 

Personally, I can’t stand the moaning, the cheating (see the battle of Bramall Lane), the time wasting, the feigning injury, and that seems to follow him around. No coincidence in my opinion. 

I do agree with you in that there’s that smug sense of satisfaction that comes with getting one over on him, but give me a Klopp character over a Warnock any day 

Fair enough Dredd, I appreciate your reasonable reply. Mr Warnock is a personality who certainly divides opinion in ways not often seen....I think he’s a fine manager - his record speaks for itself at our level - but it certainly seems to only be fans of the clubs he manages who like him and rate him in great numbers - and that’s probably because he invariably wins promotion for them! He averages one promotion every four seasons over a management career that spans more than three decades - that is simply a great record....

Archived