IGNORED

3-Pronged Attack?

Davefevs

There has been a lot of debate about formations / style this season and LJ’s 442 versus whether 433 might be better suited.  I’m not sure either way, but the following from the excellent Experimental361 website shows this:

FC51C707-818E-4673-9996-159BE7BA9616.jpeg.b35cdb0d2407a8e86f5ab58f051c66a6.jpeg

Could our forward line consist of Weimann, Diedhiou and Watkins...as a three, probably centred around Diedhiou?  Those three are our most efficient finishers based on the chances we create.  LJ said this week we need to be more direct.  Though he did say it’s a dilemma when you’ve recruited ball-playing defenders.  You might argue ball-playing defenders might be more accurate with direct passes than your typical CB?

I’ve said that although Watkins is not easy on the eye, chances do seem to be created when he’s on the pitch.

If LJ was to adopt a 4-3-3 then id expect Taylor to one of the top three, not necessarily for his goal threat but for his movement and mobility. Diédhiou doesn’t  have the same mobility but a greater goal threat. Wiemann on the left of the three.

Pack and Brownhill will be automatic starters and Walsh could play in a three.

i doubt it’ll happen tho. LJ does like to use width and either CoD or Eliasson will start and they won’t fit into a three across the middle.

I thought Weimann was suspended having picked up his 5th booking, but apparently the rules have changed this season and cup games don’t count, so he will be suspended when he picks up his next yellow

. I can see us being more direct yes, got to play to Diedhiou’s strengths and use him better. I was disappointed Taylor didn’t impress when given his chance, maybe he is better from the bench than starting. Weimann needs to find the net again soon too. Watkins is still a bit of a mystery to me, looks an unskilled lump but for the time he gets he finds the net.

i predict Walsh will start, as he has been one that has impressed out of a bad couple of games.

7 minutes ago, Robbored said:

If LJ was to adopt a 4-3-3 then id expect Taylor to one of the top three, not necessarily for his goal threat but for his movement and mobility. Diédhiou doesn’t  have the same mobility but a greater goal threat. Wiemann on the left of the three.

I might called it an attacking three, rather than thinking three traditional forwards.  Taylor let himself down last week, unfortunately.  I’ve been a critic and he was winning me over, but last week re-surfaced a few of my old concerns!  I could see Watkins or Weimann playing either left or right of Diedhiou and being able to float when we have the ball.  It might be a bit 451 when we are out of possession.  I think Paterson could also play in this type of line-up too.

I also think we are a bit rigid in our thinking and think if someone like a Thomas Müller came to this country we would have to play him right wing or centre forward, because right sided drifting forward isn’t an “English position”!

Pack and Brownhill will be automatic starters and Walsh could play in a three.

Yep....method in my madness!

i doubt it’ll happen tho. LJ does like to use width and either CoD or Eliasson will start and they won’t fit into a three across the middle.

Have you seen the team-sheet?

6 minutes ago, RedM said:

I thought Weimann was suspended having picked up his 5th booking, but apparently the rules have changed this season and cup games don’t count, so he will be suspended when he picks up his next yellow

Oh...how do Cup yellow cards work nowadays then?

. I can see us being more direct yes, got to play to Diedhiou’s strengths and use him better. I was disappointed Taylor didn’t impress when given his chance, maybe he is better from the bench than starting. Weimann needs to find the net again soon too. Watkins is still a bit of a mystery to me, looks an unskilled lump but for the time he gets he finds the net.

Yes, he is a mystery, but I’ve played with plenty of ungainly players in the past, who could put the ball in the net, or produce moments of brilliance!

i predict Walsh will start, as he has been one that has impressed out of a bad couple of games.

You’ve seen the same team-sheet as RR!!!

From what I can gather re yellow cards, they are only totted up in Cup competitions if two or more, one doesn’t count.

I’m standing by ready to be corrected on this.

Edit: This says different again?

New rules have been brought in this season which mean changes across many areas including the yellow and red card system.

In the past, yellow cards picked up in the Premier League, football leagues, FA Cup or Carabao Cup would be added up together.

This meant that five yellow cards across all competitions would result in a player missing one match - in whichever competition they should have been playing in next.

However, the changes this season will see yellow cards only counting in the competition they are received.

Red cards will continue to count across all competitions

Interesting that our CMs are all by and large scoring at the expected rate.

So the issue behind their lack of goals is more down to the lack of them taking shots, or that the shots they usually are taking have a very low xG value.

Our only players not scoring at at least the expected rate are O'Dowda and Eliasson

57 minutes ago, RedM said:

Agree about Taylor he is a good sub to bring on but not consistent enough to be a regular starter.

30 minutes ago, RedM said:

From what I can gather re yellow cards, they are only totted up in Cup competitions if two or more, one doesn’t count.

I’m standing by ready to be corrected on this.

Edit: This says different again?

New rules have been brought in this season which mean changes across many areas including the yellow and red card system.

In the past, yellow cards picked up in the Premier League, football leagues, FA Cup or Carabao Cup would be added up together.

This meant that five yellow cards across all competitions would result in a player missing one match - in whichever competition they should have been playing in next.

However, the changes this season will see yellow cards only counting in the competition they are received.

Red cards will continue to count across all competitions

Re yellows, something I’ve been advocating for a long time.  Think it should apply to reds too.  You just know that someone is gonna get a red in the league game before a cup final and have to miss out, whereas had they got to 5, 10 yellows in the league, they’d be ok for the cup final.

I'm not actually sure a 4-3-3 is suitable for this squad, with better forward players it would work but our strikers lack pace and direct running at times.  4-4-2 suits us OK I think, perhaps doesn't get the best out of the players but despite inconsistent performances we've been fairly solid defensively with it.

Was thinking when Korey returns, albeit probably not till the end of the year, if a 4-2-3-1 would work?

Hunt Kalas Webster Kelly/Desilva

Pack      Korey

Eliasson  Walsh/Brownhill  O'Dowda

Weimann/Diedhiou

Would mean only playing one striker but considering how their currently performing it's not a bad trade off, we could still maintain a 3 pronged attack and have Walsh/Brownhill in a more advanced position which I think would make better use of their attacking play.

26 minutes ago, Bristol is red said:

I'm not actually sure a 4-3-3 is suitable for this squad, with better forward players it would work but our strikers lack pace and direct running at times.  4-4-2 suits us OK I think, perhaps doesn't get the best out of the players but despite inconsistent performances we've been fairly solid defensively with it.

Was thinking when Korey returns, albeit probably not till the end of the year, if a 4-2-3-1 would work?

Hunt Kalas Webster Kelly/Desilva

Pack      Korey

Eliasson  Walsh/Brownhill  O'Dowda

Weimann/Diedhiou

Would mean only playing one striker but considering how their currently performing it's not a bad trade off, we could still maintain a 3 pronged attack and have Walsh/Brownhill in a more advanced position which I think would make better use of their attacking play.

Opinions, but I think Weimann gives us pace and Watkins gives us direct running to compliment Diedhiou.

I agree that he hasn’t recruited for 433, and 442 suits the players....just doesn’t suit the way we want to tackle each opponent!!

17 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I agree that he hasn’t recruited for 433,

but they would fit a 4-5-1, which has been discussed. 
I think ODowda pre injury could easily fit the 4-3-3 , even Eliasson given licence could as he can go either way too. Don't think it will happen though, LJ pretty narrow minded with 4-4-2. The only time he surprised us was the Sheff U game , and I swear because the" hold the first half then try and nick it" tactic worked , it's the reason we seem to have started slowly in games.

Maenpaa

Hunt Kalas Webster Kelly

Walsh Pack

Brownhill

Weimann.             Diedhiou

Watkins

Would be how I would do it with all 3 on the pitch and changing formation. Diedhiou likes to cut inside from the left and can be a threat back post and also on cutbacks when Weimann gets in behind. Watkins and Weimann can interchange a bit. Kelly more defensive minded so would not need as much work from Fam. Also Brownhill/Pack can slot over and give Kelly some protection. It can almost move in and out of 433 and 442 as well. Defensively Brownhill can pull out right and Weimann left with Diedhiou and Watkins up top. Then morph into 433 on the attack. No guarantees it would work and would probably be too many square pegs in round holes but gets our two best passers on the pitch in Pack and Walsh and 3 best finishers in Fam, Weimann and Watkins. 

5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Re yellows, something I’ve been advocating for a long time.  Think it should apply to reds too.  You just know that someone is gonna get a red in the league game before a cup final and have to miss out, whereas had they got to 5, 10 yellows in the league, they’d be ok for the cup final.

And how many times have we had a player on four yellows and want him to get booked in the game before a cup game?

Archived