IGNORED

Bristol South End

Olé

Random historical question: a) was Bristol South End's formation as our origin in 1894 a response to Preston North End and b) given that actual Southend weren't formed until 1906, is tomorrow English football's original and only North End South End showdown.

A post by @handsofclay in a previous thread is below. This sounds as though the name is just a reflection of the fact that the team played in the south of Bristol. 

“I am going to really confuse matters now by revealing that when I was chatting to our official club historian, David Woods, a few months ago, he informed me that he has been finding very good links between Bristol South End and a club called Bristol South which suggest that Bristol South End were a continuation of the Bristol South club who disbanded c.1894, I believe Bristol South might well have been in existence prior to 1883, so if these links can be proven with more evidence it could mean that Bristol City are the oldest club in Bristol.”

26 minutes ago, Olé said:

Random historical question: a) was Bristol South End's formation as our origin in 1894 a response to Preston North End and b) given that actual Southend weren't formed until 1906, is tomorrow English football's original and only North End South End showdown.

Yes you are correct. Bristol South End did somewhat ape PNE in 1894 as PNE were the famed 'Invincibles' of the 1888-89 season. Indeed, BSE arranged a prestigious friendly against PNE at St John's Lane in 1895. Unfortunately, a little lad died coming away from the match.

As Pongo has stated, there is also a possible link with the Bristol South club disbanded c.1894. But, it appears that the word 'End' might well have been tacked on to the possibly reformed club as a nod to PNE.One thing that does make me doubt a homage to PNE is that BSE didn't adopt their colours.

24 minutes ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

BSE is an unfortunate acronym!

Yes, it was with tremendous foresight that the directors of BSE changed their name to Bristol City in 1897 having received a cash incentive to do so from a group of Cockneys who were desperately lacking a slang word for boobs.

1 hour ago, Olé said:

Southend say no!

24 minutes ago, Threshing Red said:

I think it's the junior rugby club now, also think there is a pub just outside on the main road but I cant remember the name

Broad plain rugby. The Brunel (formerly the Engineers Arms or The House that Jack built - cracking pint of Watneys Red Barrel). Look for the side street - Bristol South End.

According to David Woods' book entitled The First 100 Years of Bristol City, the disbanding of Bristol South A.F.C was one factor that that led a group of 18 football enthusiasts holding a meeting to form Bristol South End. Bristol South had only just won the South Bristol & District League. The book doesn't provide a date for when Bristol South were formed, but it does state that a J.A. Stevens, one of the attendees at the meeting, admired Preston North End so suggested the Bristol South End name.

1 hour ago, Offside said:

According to David Woods' book entitled The First 100 Years of Bristol City, the disbanding of Bristol South A.F.C was one factor that that led a group of 18 football enthusiasts holding a meeting to form Bristol South End. Bristol South had only just won the South Bristol & District League. The book doesn't provide a date for when Bristol South were formed, but it does state that a J.A. Stevens, one of the attendees at the meeting, admired Preston North End so suggested the Bristol South End name.

Although the book doesn’t give a date I would hazard a guess at “1882”,?.

Archived