IGNORED

We lack character and personality

ChippenhamRed

For the record today was a tipping point for me and I can no longer support a manager who can orchestrate such an abject display against below-average opposition. I have defended LJ in the past on grounds of year-on-year league position improvement while working with a moderate budget, but that no longer feels like sufficient grounds to keep him when we put up such an inexcusably poor show like we did today. You can't claim progress if you're capable of that level of incompetence.

However, I thought I'd mention something else that struck me today; we have become such a bland team, devoid of any characters or personalities, any real "fans favourites", or anyone to get you off your seat. It's the first time you can really say this for a good few years. Even the dark days of SOD had JET. The 2014/15 promotion side had bags of character and no lack of personalities; Wilbraham, JET again, Flint of course. In our first season back in the Championship we had Kodjia, then Tomlin, then Tammy a year later, and then Reid last season. Flint was still there too. All standout players with the potential to excite.

Yet what do we have now? For the first time in a long time, there doesn't appear to be any sort of talismanic figure, the team lacks character and it lacks personalities. We're boring.

Time for a change.

3 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

For the record today was a tipping point for me and I can no longer support a manager who can orchestrate such an abject display against below-average opposition. I have defended LJ in the past on grounds of year-on-year league position improvement while working with a moderate budget, but that no longer feels like sufficient grounds to keep him when we put up such an inexcusably poor show like we did today. You can't claim progress if you're capable of that level of incompetence.

However, I thought I'd mention something else that struck me today; we have become such a bland team, devoid of any characters or personalities, any real "fans favourites", or anyone to get you off your seat. It's the first time you can really say this for a good few years. Even the dark days of SOD had JET. The 2014/15 promotion side had bags of character and no lack of personalities; Wilbraham, JET again, Flint of course. In our first season back in the Championship we had Kodjia, then Tomlin, then Tammy a year later, and then Reid last season. Flint was still there too. All standout players with the potential to excite.

Yet what do we have now? For the first time in a long time, there doesn't appear to be any sort of talismanic figure, the team lacks character and it lacks personalities. We're boring.

Time for a change.

They say a team mirrors it's manager. Slow uninspiring, can't tackle, can't head, boring. 

2 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I really don't think that is a below average opponent. They have had injury problems, but now they will push up the table with that side. I don't think the personalities are a problem, its the fact the manager doesn't know how to get the best out of them.

Its certainly not the main problem, but it just struck me today that we have a very bland team right now. It's just another angle I wanted to comment on.

12 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Its certainly not the main problem, but it just struck me today that we have a very bland team right now. It's just another angle I wanted to comment on.

No spark, no inspiration. Kilkenny levels of pointing between Pack & Brownhill not a good sign either.

The only player with any oomph was Taylor, who wouldn't make any other championship team, and in the last 10-15 minutes a fired up Brownhill. Prior to that even the S82 singing section had gone very quiet, which says it all.

8 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Time for a change.

I think your bang on there we have a team which mirrors our manager bland and boring just as he was as a player 

2 hours ago, Robin Wood said:

I think your bang on there we have a team which mirrors our manager bland and boring just as he was as a player 

Weak. Couldnt tackle. Didnt tackle. Passed sideways/backwards. Rarely scored. Rarely set up a goal. 

This team is exactly the mirror image. 

Although i’ll give LJ a good first touch. Not a single player was able to even control a ball adequately yesterday. 

What do they do in training all week?!?!

I said the same at the beginning of the season, the team has no personalities, no stars, no player you'd have kids queuing up to get their game on the shirt.

No matter how shit we've been before there has been a talisman a player who you'd still pay to watch. 

This team is boring & vanilla and barely worth paying to watch. 

12 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Time for a change.

I've been saying it for months. Everything about our personality on the pitch resembles the managers personality when he was a player. Uninspiring, soft, average and bland 

This is not completely a Lee Johnson set up. And **** me....it's piss poor 

Yesterday's was a defeat that I really felt was the turning point in LJ's tenture, to lose in such a manner and on the back of two straight defeats is inexcusable. If he was to go now it would be the right time for him and the club, to think we had had 14 points after seven games and now just 22 from seventeen is a very poor return ,and just mirrors the last two seasons. 

Mad Mick anyone?  

1 hour ago, 1bristolcity said:

Yesterday's was a defeat that I really felt was the turning point in LJ's tenture, to lose in such a manner and on the back of two straight defeats is inexcusable. If he was to go now it would be the right time for him and the club, to think we had had 14 points after seven games and now just 22 from seventeen is a very poor return ,and just mirrors the last two seasons. 

Mad Mick anyone?  

In a freaking heartbeat . 

15 hours ago, JonDolman said:

I really don't think that is a below average opponent. They have had injury problems, but now they will push up the table with that side. I don't think the personalities are a problem, its the fact the manager doesn't know how to get the best out of them.

Thanks for your comment; it pre-empts a  question I'm posting.

We are told this year City's squad is stronger, but the results aren't as good as last year. So

1; did all others strengthen more than City did, or

2; are  City's tactics and instructions wrong or,

3; have the players decided they don't like the Manager and are putting in poor performances in the hope of getting him removed? (Has happened before).

Archived