IGNORED

If LJ was to leave (Merged many times)

189thoughts

Would Mick McCarthy be a good choice to take City forward  

365 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If only it was as easy as just appointing Mr X as manager, or having this mythical ambition, which seems to either involve chucking money around or appointing aforementioned Mr X on huge wages.

We are where we are, players are coming through our academy, those on loan are mostly doing well. Losing 3 key players meant this season was always likely to be tough. The foundations are there, whatever we do now, we should not tear them up chasing short term success. 

6 hours ago, Chappers said:

If only it was as easy as just appointing Mr X as manager, or having this mythical ambition, which seems to either involve chucking money around or appointing aforementioned Mr X on huge wages.

We are where we are, players are coming through our academy, those on loan are mostly doing well. Losing 3 key players meant this season was always likely to be tough. The foundations are there, whatever we do now, we should not tear them up chasing short term success. 

You don't put a Morris Minor engine in a Ferrari - Confucius.

9 hours ago, southvillekiddy said:

Thing is mate, we don't know what goes on behind the scenes and if his selections are allowed to disagree with him.

As Calculus said the other day some of us believe BCFC has become SL's vanity project. He will not take on anyone who might threaten his control, whereas some of us again believe this is exactly what is needed if, as he says, he wants Premiership football. Whatever you think of him Nigel Pearson, someone who has been there and done it, was available but wasn't short-listed the last time around. We were given the usual bollocks that LJ was the strongest candidate in an outstanding field of applicants??

Control, control, control.

But if it was your money wouldn't you expect to have control over how it was spent?

8 hours ago, ashton_fan said:

But if it was your money wouldn't you expect to have control over how it was spent?

When I compare the percentage of disposable income that a dedicated fan spends each week on supporting BCFC, especially when going Away, I am amazed that a billionaire can't spare 20 -30 million to get us in the Prem.

13 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

When I compare the percentage of disposable income that a dedicated fan spends each week on supporting BCFC, especially when going Away, I am amazed that a billionaire can't spare 20 -30 million to get us in the Prem.

If it was guaranteed then I'm sure Steve would; he backed Gary Johnson to the tune of £50m without getting there and admitted feeling a bit "silly" for doing so.

Tony Fernandez spent way more than that getting QPR promoted but he was pretty much just throwing money away; paying players far more than they were worth (Joey Barton, Adel Tarabat) and thinking that the solution to everything was more money.  Yes they got to the Premiership but the team wasn't anywhere near good enough to stay there and because it was mostly couldn't care less mercenaries who were getting paid whatever happened they were relegated again.

The aim is presumably to get up and stay up so that means having a good team come together over a few seasons rather than buying a one year wonder team; I can't recall the current level of losses offhand but I'm sure that a further £30m of losses, and hence required funding, will be accumulated in a small number of years.

5 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

If it was guaranteed then I'm sure Steve would; he backed Gary Johnson to the tune of £50m without getting there and admitted feeling a bit "silly" for doing so.

Tony Fernandez spent way more than that getting QPR promoted but he was pretty much just throwing money away; paying players far more than they were worth (Joey Barton, Adel Tarabat) and thinking that the solution to everything was more money.  Yes they got to the Premiership but the team wasn't anywhere near good enough to stay there and because it was mostly couldn't care less mercenaries who were getting paid whatever happened they were relegated again.

The aim is presumably to get up and stay up so that means having a good team come together over a few seasons rather than buying a one year wonder team; I can't recall the current level of losses offhand but I'm sure that a further £30m of losses, and hence required funding, will be accumulated in a small number of years.

Thing is mate Steve backed the wrong person - someone unqualified and without the contacts to do what he says he wants. 

2 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

Thing is mate Steve backed the wrong person - someone unqualified and without the contacts to do what he says he wants. 

Agreed; hence his feeling a bit silly.

When you appoint a taxi driver as chief scout purely because he is the manager's brother then you should be taking a big step back and saying "Hey, wait a minute!".

This is the weakness of one man control of the club without an independent and powerful Board of Directors; there are no proper checks and balances happening.  It's running with "feelz" which is not a route to success.

It feels similar, to me, to Asil Nadir at Polly Peck.  The guy basically did what he wanted because he felt he was right and it all ended up going horribly wrong.  I am certainly not accusing Steve of anything nefarious, he seems to me to be scrupulously honest, but he has surrounded himself with people who just say "Yes, Steve" whatever he does so small mistakes become big mistakes because nobody dares to point them out and nobody ever says "No, Steve".

I know if I was in SL's position with funding it all then I would be heartily annoyed if somebody stopped my doing what I wanted to do but that sometimes needs to happen.  Without it we are chasing a dream rather than running a business.

14 hours ago, ashton_fan said:

Exactly, that's why

Good reversing and back tracking! Scott Davidson and then John Laycock were our chairmen when Pulis was the manager - you posted that Pulis caused issues with SL and you also talked about Cotts and his issues with SL - but SL didn’t appoint Pulis and he wasn’t the chairman or the owner when Pulis was here....he wouldn’t have been directly exposed to any issues, had there been any, in the way he clashed with Cotts at the end...

15 hours ago, southvillekiddy said:

I wouldn`t give LJ another 20-30 PENCE...... ENOUGH IS ENOUGH....Time for a change Steve...bring in a manager

On 14/11/2018 at 00:13, SX227 said:

LJ's job is to keep BCFC in the champ until BS is sold. 

Nothing more, nothing less.

New owners = new ambition.

Lansdown will spend as much or as little to keep the club in the champ as needed.

All very well. Assuming the manager is capable of keeping you there ! 

This forum was massively for Sean Odismal and against Steve (blessings be upon him) Cotterill.

I’m very much in the LJ will take us nowhere camp, however I have no clue who might be the man for it. Allardyce wage demands would be huge, Mick McCarthy looks like a man that has had enough.

Moyes is a possibility as he has an affinity with the club and seems to have thrown out a come and get me invitation.

The now departed bloke at Fulham has a Recent track record .

Who knows!

Archived