IGNORED

Bygone Sweets & Snacks

KURTZ

Strangely enough,loads of the sweets that I rushed out for and couldn't wait to spend my pocket money on were absolutely diabolical.Still bought them every week anyway.As an aside,is there a sweet/chocolate that you don't know if you like or not?I still can't make up my mind if I like white chocolate(probably no) or caramac (probably yes)?

11 hours ago, Slacker said:

Strangely enough,loads of the sweets that I rushed out for and couldn't wait to spend my pocket money on were absolutely diabolical.Still bought them every week anyway.As an aside,is there a sweet/chocolate that you don't know if you like or not?I still can't make up my mind if I like white chocolate(probably no) or caramac (probably yes)?

White chocolate`s a funny one. I think it depends on your mood, if you`re feeling a bit `decadent` it`s OK but if you`re not having a great day it`s disappointing. I can`t eat too much of it though, it`s a bit sickly.

13 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

Aztec bars.

Spangles

Sherbet Dips although I think you can still get them

Flying Saucers

Sweet Cigarettes

Flying Saucers are still a thing - bought a tub from Costco for the office this week. Lasted about 4 hours tops before they’d cleaned the tub out! 

The tangfastics didn’t fair much better ?

3D0603BE-CF48-4BA3-97F5-FBB9F32CCA95.jpeg

You can still get candy sticks from the McColls on north street 

• Admin

There’s quite a niche market in retro sweets, several years ago I was in Banbury and had some time to kill, so was walking round looking for a cafe, I came across a shop selling loads of sweets and chocolate that I thought had long gone, they charge a bit of a premium price for it though!

1 hour ago, bobbyhutchscurlymullet said:

Quattro fizzy drink

Pacers spearmint chews

We had a thread a while back about fizzy drinks that are no more and when they used to be delivered by lorry. Cresta and Corona were two that I recall but there were many others. There were some cracking tales on it from people who used to deliver the stuff and who used to buy it/collect the empties for the deposit.

2 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

We had a thread a while back about fizzy drinks that are no more and when they used to be delivered by lorry. Cresta and Corona were two that I recall but there were many others. There were some cracking tales on it from people who used to deliver the stuff and who used to buy it/collect the empties for the deposit.

and alpine...….big A on the label

Drumsticks. Kept in a dispenser that stood outside the shop all the time, and long before 'Best Before' was brought in. Free extra with every fourth turn, and a weevil as a special extra. Those were the days, no wonder there was little obesity.

7 hours ago, KURTZ said:

They are around still, but in no way are they the same 

Lots of these 'new' versions about and nothing like the tooth-crumblers of old.

19 minutes ago, Erithacus said:

Drumsticks. Kept in a dispenser that stood outside the shop all the time, and long before 'Best Before' was brought in. Free extra with every fourth turn, and a weevil as a special extra. Those were the days, no wonder there was little obesity.

Lots of these 'new' versions about and nothing like the tooth-crumblers of old.

I`ve just had one of those! Mrs RRH just opened a tin of sweets and there were some in there along with a load of Parma Violets (ughhh) which she gave me cos she doesn`t like them.

14 hours ago, Redtucks said:

(Frozen) Jubbly

w5sdK9YuGINGERBEER_Jubbly_Orange_drink.jpg

You can still get them. Had some in the freezer over the summer. Bought from Tesco.

Mini dairy milk bars that came in a 2p machine thing.

Walkers crinkles - Cream cheese and chive.

Burton's Puffs.

Panda Pops.

Old skool Tizer which was so full of sugar and E numbers, you bounced off the ceiling like a pinball. The new recipe is absolute dogshit.

6a00d83451cbb069e201287772e665970c-800wi.jpg

Eng-677.jpg

31453198481_c850906555_b.jpg

11 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

Confessions of a Corona Lorry Crew ..would've made a good film back in the day,

..btw what's Robin Askwith up to nowadays?   

On 25/11/2018 at 10:18, Maesknoll Red said:

There’s quite a niche market in retro sweets, several years ago I was in Banbury and had some time to kill, so was walking round looking for a cafe, I came across a shop selling loads of sweets and chocolate that I thought had long gone, they charge a bit of a premium price for it though!

There's a market for retro crisps at the Mem .

Archived