IGNORED

Sold our 3 best players, be realistic

iamsober

1 minute ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Did we have to sell?  Or were players made better offers, thought their career would be better served by moving?  Whilst you could hold onto a player who wants to go, it’s hardly conducive to squad harmony and morale.

Maybe the players that upped sticks and left, felt there wasn’t the ambition or ability here to get them where they wanted to be.

Agreed. 2 of those players are playing in the Prem (even if not week in week out), and the other is playing at the top end of the championship.

As much as it pains me to say, they have bettered themselves by moving from Bristol City.

Until we invest heavily, and with proven players, others will go on from us to progress with others as well.

3 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Doesn't seem to be a very popular view among City fans, but I think you are right.

Look at the players he wanted to sign who could've been got for not much money and can see he had an eye for talent. Unfortunately he wasn't backed because he wasn't a lick ass and told it how it was unlike our current manager 

5 minutes ago, paul_fox said:

If Cotts was given the funds like Lee has had I'm sure he would've done better 

Agree 100%. It was never going to happen though, Cotts was not a yes man, and LJ is. 

SL trust LJ more than he has any other manager/coach we've had in recent times. Hence the wallet opening more.

I think most fans expected mid-table. But that is not the point for me.

I would happily lose a couple, win and draw a couple like most other teams do.

It is the constant of several weeks every year of shite football that grates me - losing games with nothing much to cheer in the process.

I just don’t see why people asking for realism about selling players etc just don’t get that simple point?

1 minute ago, AppyDAZE said:

The thing I will say is Cotts always did seem to have a bit of a chip-on-the-old-shoulder type of a personality that very definitely didn't appeal much to SL.

It was never really likely to last very long if the to people didn't get along as people.

Yeah sadly that's what seemed to have happened. Maybe he thought SL was interfering too much hence the chip , but the team he put together were great with an excellent spirit and more importantly he had trust and respect 

13 minutes ago, Lucan said:

Cotts was the epitome of a limited manager.

Limited by the owner, who did not approve of the deals he was involved in nor the way he wanted to do them. Nor was it acceptable that he was working outside of the club philosophy.

But my god it would have cost a fraction of the money he has wasted on backing Johnson, to have backed Cotts in bringing some real quality players to the club.

17 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Did we have to sell?  Or were players made better offers, thought their career would be better served by moving?  Whilst you could hold onto a player who wants to go, it’s hardly conducive to squad harmony and morale.

Maybe the players that upped sticks and left, felt there wasn’t the ambition or ability here to get them where they wanted to be.

Nail on the head, and hands up those who think SL`s next manager will be much different from this one; Someone once said we are the "nearly club" they were right; I don't want nearly I want to smash this league and then the next one and want LIFE brought back to this club.

Gonna take a while "the plan" sucks.

1 hour ago, 29AR said:

He’s spent a lot, our 3 best players he’s inherited. You cannot and should not ignore that. 

He inherited Bobby Reid as a midfielder worth very little.

However, it was his idea to convert him to a striker which is how we got 10 million for him.

• Admin
49 minutes ago, Redtucks said:

However, it was his idea to convert him to a striker which is how we got 10 million for him.

He must have seen something in training to do that, which could be a bit of luck, or a great bit of man Management and coaching, if he can repeat the feat, even if not at such a level, that will prove it wasn’t a fluke.

2 hours ago, 29AR said:

He’s spent a lot, our 3 best players he’s inherited. You cannot and should not ignore that. 

Excellent point. Spent a lot on utter shit.

Also....

Flint he didn’t even want....Bryan didn’t ever perform consistently under LJ & for as good as Reid was last season, that’s the only good season he’s had in his career. Credit LJ for seeing something in Bobby mind, although we didn’t have any strikers at the time.

Bottom line is there can be no excuses anymore for LJ.

1 hour ago, Frenchay Red said:

Limited by the owner, who did not approve of the deals he was involved in nor the way he wanted to do them. Nor was it acceptable that he was working outside of the club philosophy.

But my god it would have cost a fraction of the money he has wasted on backing Johnson, to have backed Cotts in bringing some real quality players to the club.

Yes just imagine if we'd got Harry Maguire and either one or both of Andre Gray or Marcus Gayle that summer to slot in to Cott's team.

1 hour ago, Redtucks said:

Idea, or a pre-season stint of form which planted the seed? Striker or advanced midfielder given a free role but for chasing from the front? 

It worked, he’s in credit for Reid. But how much was luck or coaching no-one knows. He’s been here long enough; how many other players, Reid aside, has he grown/ developed/ re-deployed or found their niche...? Has Brownhill kicked on to his undoubted potential, was he right to keep JB a left back when all could see he was a LM, is he a genius today bringing on a CF and taking off our two wingers in the process? 

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

totally agree with your sentiments 

Thought the L1 Championship Squad merely needed some quality to upgrade it , ( not dismantling) and they would certainly have done that 

Yep, should certainly have been possible to "do a Sheffield United" with that squad or even repeat what we did in 2007-2008.

1 minute ago, fgrsimon said:

Yep, should certainly have been possible to "do a Sheffield United" with that squad or even repeat what we did in 2007-2008.

Interesting that the Radio Leeds reporter was saying how stunning Luke Aylings stats were at Leeds

Said they’ve won %50 of games he’s played in and %20 of ones he hasn’t !

I can’t understand the love in with Cotts?  Yeh we got promotion from league 1, but we paid the money to do that, the players of that team IMO would not have been anymore successful than the current crop.

Cotts came into the championship with an all firing squad full of confidence and did nothing, I’m not an LJ lover but he’s done better than Cotts did, who has never proven himself a Championship standard manager.  Winning League 1, is a given for our club IMO

43 minutes ago, Frenchay Red said:

(Dwight) Gayle was never going to happen, but Gray and Maguire were virtually done deals, until the "renegotiations".

Wasn't Harry around 2m? What a bargain that would've been and 6-8 for Gray wouldn't have been bad either considering how much we've wasted lately. Can understand why Cotts would've had a chip on his shoulder 

2 hours ago, Mtimmy11 said:

He hasn’t been brilliant and we’re not better off from top to bottom.give me cottrills championship winning squad which he has brilliantly disassembled any day

The one that had us in the relegation zone, despite the addition of Kodjia..? Yeah, genius..! 

2 hours ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Absolutely why I think last season fell apart. The best players we had, could see what utter dross we'd brought in to help our push for the top flight, and stopped playing. If they weren't sure about leaving before, last January helped to clear the fog. I've felt less disappointed at the end of relegation seasons.

Where are the targeted replacements? Are they what we need, or are we just signing players because they tick a number of boxes? It's rather like having a manager that talks about how they tick all the boxes and have all the top coaching badges. No good I'm afraid if the performances on the pitch are shit, week after week.  

I haven't read all the replies but for me personally it is the way we are playing that is the worry. The start of the season we seemed to at least to be trying to play a bit of quick passing one touch football and I seen bits and pieces of what we had at the start of last season. We had the little run of wins, and Swansea away we looked organised and very good and was one of the best away performances I have seen in years. We go and have a right go at West Brom and could have been 3 up with some brilliant attacking play but we got done by our naivety and schoolboy defending - but overall most fans were pretty happy after that defeat.

Since then it has been woeful (bar a second half against Stoke) and not entertaining at all and I really can't see where our points our going to come from. I really could have walked out against Preston at HT it was that bad, Reading was nearly as bad as well.

I have generally gave Johnson the benefit due to our cup run and the football we played back then, but surely that football should still be how we try to play now and he should have built on that. But it seems we have no idea at the moment and the players don't know what to do either. Unsure how one week we can look half decent and then the next few weeks look like a pub team. It is so inconsistent I just think we need a change now.

36 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

I can’t understand the love in with Cotts?  Yeh we got promotion from league 1, but we paid the money to do that, the players of that team IMO would not have been anymore successful than the current crop.

Cotts came into the championship with an all firing squad full of confidence and did nothing, I’m not an LJ lover but he’s done better than Cotts did, who has never proven himself a Championship standard manager.  Winning League 1, is a given for our club IMO

Really? Winning any division took us 60 years. The team Cotterill assembled had a game plan and could score. We cannot say that of the current shambles. 

47 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

Behave....!!!

58 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

That's a statement!

which is bollocks

Check our history, I would have no confidence in this shambles making mid table in league one.

Winning league one as a given, ffs.

Archived