IGNORED

Sold our 3 best players, be realistic

iamsober

On 25/11/2018 at 16:44, JonDolman said:

We were losing most games with those 3 players 2nd half of last season. Kelly has actually played better than Bryan did in that time, Kalas and Webster an improvement on Flint and Baker. We have a better goalie now too in Maenpaa. There are no excuses for our bad form. Yesterday was a bit better than recently, but still only had one shot on target. We were playing against a team with loads of injuries, with a child in goal that we did not even test.

Totally agree with the above, but things will get worse with more goalkeeping options, defenders need to trust the man between the sticks and will we start our best keeper or our better personality?

Past targets we recently missed out on - LJ is pretty well known, his dips too, so whatever the problem in his dressing room is will also be well known! Would you travel down the M5 knowing that, or would you look to go to a London or midland team?

22 minutes ago, Super said:

I remember plenty on here saying we weren't missing them!

I think the more worrying thing is the Swansea performance, parts of Blackburn (flattering scoreline), large parts of West Brom showed we didn't really miss them (granted a whole season is slightly different). But we are not even playing or trying to play how we were back then - and nowhere near it either.

On 24/11/2018 at 21:19, AppyDAZE said:

His biggest limitation was his personality.

Think you may be mixing Cotts up with SO'D. :whistle2:

Cotts. personality manifested itself very positively where it mattered, in an overtly contented squad - very much playing as one for the manager -  with the best team spirit we've seen at AG in decades.

First and foremost the relationship between the manager and owner should be a professional one -  but having chosen 'the best man for the job' then if the playing side of the club is successful that relationship can surely only thrive.

The owner should surely want to employ a motivational 'winner' who invigorates the whole club, and then back him as far as humanly possible - there's absolutely no need for them to be great friends.

On 24/11/2018 at 21:47, Redtucks said:

He inherited Bobby Reid as a midfielder worth very little.

However, it was his idea to convert him to a striker which is how we got 10 million for him.

No, it wasn't LJ's idea.

He said himself the idea of trying Bobby up front was flagged up to him after studies by the backroom analysts and statisticians.

So he acted on their idea and information, and certainly some credit to him for that, but it was not his idea.

14 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Cotts. personality manifested itself very positively where it mattered, in an overtly contented squad - very much playing as one for the manager -  with the best team spirit we've seen at AG in decades.

First and foremost the relationship between the manager and owner should be a professional one -  but having chosen 'the best man for the job' that relationship can surely only thrive if the playing side of the club is successful.

The owner should surely want to employ a motivational 'winner' who invigorates the whole club, and then back him as far as humanly possible - there's absolutely no need for them to be great friends.

Unless that owner is Uncle Steve . 

2 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

First and foremost the relationship between the manager and owner should be a professional one -  but having chosen 'the best man for the job' then if the playing side of the club is successful that relationship can surely only thrive.

Think you misread my meaning. I wasn't knocking SC in any way. I only meant his personality wasn't, for what ever reason, appealing to SL.

3 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Think you misread my meaning. I wasn't knocking SC in any way. I only meant his personality wasn't, for what ever reason, appealing to SL.

I get your drift AD.

Then it's Millen, Tinman , LJ etc. with Jamie McAlister, Cole Skuse, Louis Carey and eventually Joe Bryan in line to follow.

All very pally pally chum chum.

Thing is we've seen it all before now, numerous times, and it's stultifying.

SL needs to shake his bloody ideas up imo., or patient and loyal as we've been, he'll lose the older generations of City fans.

7 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

No, it wasn't LJ's idea.

He said himself the idea of trying Bobby up front was flagged up to him after studies by the backroom analysts and statisticians.

So he acted on their idea and information, and certainly some credit to him for that, but it was not his idea.

OK, it was his decision then.

He had discussed with the analysts all the qualities and requirements that he required in the striker he wanted.

They came to the conclusion that Bobby Reid fulfilled most of them so it was decided to try him as a striker pre-season.

These were the accounts given by both Lee Johnson and Rhys Carr (Head of Fitness and Conditioning) and Sam Stanton (Head of Performance Analysis) at their respective talks to the Senior Reds last season.

11 hours ago, Redtucks said:

He had discussed with the analysts all the qualities and requirements that he required in the striker he wanted.

They came to the conclusion that Bobby Reid fulfilled most of them so it was decided to try him as a striker pre-season.

These were the accounts given by both Lee Johnson and Rhys Carr (Head of Fitness and Conditioning) and Sam Stanton (Head of Performance Analysis) at their respective talks to the Senior Reds last season.

Of course, he's the coach, he picks the team, and it was his decision not to ignore the advice given to him by the analysts.

I've said he should take some credit for that but to say he's in credit with Reid to the tune of 10m. is not only contrary to what LJ himself has said - that the idea was not his - but also doing a great disservice to the analysts whose independent work led to BR's unlikely positional switch.

19 hours ago, Redtucks said:

And also the fact we had nobody else to play there in the pre season where he was tried out...

Archived