IGNORED

Papering over the cracks

Fordy62

3 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

I am astounded how many of you think everything is ok because we’ve just scraped past Ipswich who were absolutely shit.

And @billywedlock sadly you’re right. I wonder who he’ll be playing for next season. 

Don’t think anyone is saying that to be fair.  But to expect a fantastic performance, away from home, between two sides in poor form and low on confidence is unrealistic. 

It was a big result no matter how it came about. Last night was the classic example of the result being way more important than the performance. We all saw the difference that confidence makes in 2017.

At this point in time we’re closer to the top six than the bottom three, so the hyperbole is clearly a bit OTT. 

3 minutes ago, Super said:

Fammy has to start. Best striker and our biggest goal threat, Set the team up around him.

Agree. Should of started at Leeds . 18 year old keeper in goal and we play with 2 wingers . That just didn’t make sense. But FD needs to really step up now and find some consistency. Saying that so do a few others. 

58 minutes ago, hoxton casual said:

It's the teams and formations he puts out that are bizarre. Adelakun and Pisano to start? Great he changed it eventually. In my experience when one of your classiest players starts to look a little lost, such as Webster, the team's confidence is shot.

Amazed by our fans. I didn't hear one boo or insult and we sang for 90 minutes. Amazing that we won, but I am worried for our future. Like most I desparately hope I am wrong. COYR.

I think pisano was chosen as after last night the 5 yellow card threshold was met so everyone goes back to 0 on the yellow card count. Hunt was on 4 and I think Johnson was trying to be a bit clever there. Clearly the fact he subbed hunt on he must have thought a potential 3 points could be gotten. If it wasn't for that reason I think it was a bit of an odd desicion 

It doesn’t matter whoever the manager is in that we have to paper over the cracks for now. We are mid table in a very competitive league which is totally unbalanced by the have’s (parachute payments) and the have nots.

We clearly have sailed closer to the wind than many realised for FFP and losses so the financial crack is not going to be repaired by our doing or SL.

This season that crack meant we had to replace 3 key players on a budget. On top of that we have not had 3 other key players, our captain Bailey Wright, our Talisman Korey Smith and our first choice keeper Frankie. Adelukan has only just started his season and Eisa has missed most. So basically the spine of the team missing along with a couple of new signings. 

As we have had to ‘ paper over’ we have bloodied the likes of Kelly, Morrell and O’Leary from the Academy. So maybe mid table is not so bad and as decorators go maybe LJ is papering over the cracks rather well all things considered.

It could be much better of course but until we can afford a top notch renovation job, team-wise maybe we just have to be realistic in our expectations. 

51 minutes ago, TRL said:

I think pisano was chosen as after last night the 5 yellow card threshold was met so everyone goes back to 0 on the yellow card count. Hunt was on 4 and I think Johnson was trying to be a bit clever there. Clearly the fact he subbed hunt on he must have thought a potential 3 points could be gotten. If it wasn't for that reason I think it was a bit of an odd decision 

Yet another odd decision from him!

Famara needs to start. A goal may help him get his mojo back.

There were lots of negative post about Adelakun on the matchday thread but I would give him a run in the team now. He is bound to be rusty but he may add more threat  going forward once he gets a bit more match fit. 

We have been sadly lacking on the attacking front so try something different. Also frustrating to see Eisa get virtually no time on the pitch.

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

Yet another odd decision from him!

Its these kind of "too clever by half" decisions that worry me. Just go out and try and win games with your best team. Don't be distracted by the opposition or some clever training ground strategy. He is undoubtedly a hard working and clever coach, with the modern obsession of detailed analysis, but when will he learn the hard lessons about keeping it simple at times?

1 hour ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Good question.

Perhaps unrealistic would have been a better term.

OK. Unrealistic.

Would you say the people that first scaled Everest, and the ones prior to them, had at some point "unrealistic" thoughts and expectations? That some others thought them to be a bit "bonkers"? Or, put it anotherway: can you achieve something momentous, and momentously difficult, without at some point thinking the "unrealistic" ? Is it not an essential part of it?

14 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

OK. Unrealistic.

Would you say the people that first scaled Everest, and the ones prior to them, had at some point "unrealistic" thoughts and expectations? That some others thought them to be a bit "bonkers"? Or, put it anotherway: can you achieve something momentous, and momentously difficult, without at some point thinking the "unrealistic" ? Is it not an essential part of it?

Blimey- this is getting a bit esoteric.

I guess  Orville Wright would have been unrealistic saying he could fly to the moon.

In respect of SL- yes I think he's unrealistic if he believes we can challenge for the play-offs given the sale of Flint & Reid ( their goals) and replace with albeit good players but with no real goal history. Nothing is impossible in our League and money alone doesn't dictate success although Villa are doing their best.I think in recent times, Cardiff and Huddersfield have achieved something momentous and against all the indications. 

As things stand and despite his best intentions, I still feel that for SL to think we have enough in our current locker to challenge at the top is unrealistic.

5 hours ago, TRL said:

I think pisano was chosen as after last night the 5 yellow card threshold was met so everyone goes back to 0 on the yellow card count. Hunt was on 4 and I think Johnson was trying to be a bit clever there. Clearly the fact he subbed hunt on he must have thought a potential 3 points could be gotten. If it wasn't for that reason I think it was a bit of an odd desicion 

That would make sense and I really hope that was the reason why. Having said that, I think Pisano was at fault for their 2 goals.

2 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

In respect of SL- yes I think he's unrealistic if he believes we can challenge for the play-offs given the sale of Flint & Reid ( their goals) and replace with albeit good players but with no real goal history. Nothing is impossible in our League and money alone doesn't dictate success although Villa are doing their best.I think in recent times, Cardiff and Huddersfield have achieved something momentous and against all the indications. 

As things stand and despite his best intentions, I still feel that for SL to think we have enough in our current locker to challenge at the top is unrealistic.

If he only thinks, and asks for, and draws the line at, and expects (of his staff), the "realistic," then, realistically, we are never going to be promoted from this division. The clubs with parachute payments are not going to wave us through one year, acknowledging that we are long overdue a go at the top.

Steve is asking Lee to go beyond and deliver what might reasonably be expected, given the wages we pay compared to the other 23 in this division, rather than just do a "realistic" job. In their various ways many on here are expecting/hoping for/agitating for/demanding the same from Lee, and are not so far removed from the owner's thinking on this as many of the sensible, grounded, realistic posters on here appear to imagine.

I suppose Steve's "top six" hope for this season reflects, or at least reflected, his belief in Lee.

Just now the result was the most important thing.

can't help but think that LJ needs to find and stick the right settled team to help players gain confidence. What the right team is - who knows?

19 hours ago, Spoons said:

This season (after selling 3 key players) was always going to be difficult where points are more important than performance. We will finish comfortably between 10-15th which is acceptable in a transition season.

We also need to release we are Bristol city not BRAZIL! 

It's just like watching Brazil  Luxembourg !

7 hours ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

It doesn’t matter whoever the manager is in that we have to paper over the cracks for now. We are mid table in a very competitive league which is totally unbalanced by the have’s (parachute payments) and the have nots.

We clearly have sailed closer to the wind than many realised for FFP and losses so the financial crack is not going to be repaired by our doing or SL.

This season that crack meant we had to replace 3 key players on a budget. On top of that we have not had 3 other key players, our captain Bailey Wright, our Talisman Korey Smith and our first choice keeper Frankie. Adelukan has only just started his season and Eisa has missed most. So basically the spine of the team missing along with a couple of new signings. 

As we have had to ‘ paper over’ we have bloodied the likes of Kelly, Morrell and O’Leary from the Academy. So maybe mid table is not so bad and as decorators go maybe LJ is papering over the cracks rather well all things considered.

It could be much better of course but until we can afford a top notch renovation job, team-wise maybe we just have to be realistic in our expectations. 

I get fed up with the sale of Bryan, Flint & Reid being trotted out as reason why we have seen so many poor performances this season. We had all 3 of them in second half of last season and really struggled!

As for missing Bailey Wright, err... no. Kalas and/or Webster are better CBs.

Give you missing Korey, if only to stop Pack being an automatic pick never mind how cack he plays.

Last night was a fluke result, with us getting lucky for all 3 goals... only hope is result gives some confidence! 

Johnson Still OUT!

On 29/11/2018 at 17:16, Davefevs said:

Please can you explain why Pisano was at fault for their second goal?

Yup I certainly can. He didn't attempt to close down. He was on his heels and then also decides to go side on when Sears shoots. There was at least an attempt to close down by another defender which wasn't great either but an attempt nonetheless.

50 minutes ago, supercidered said:

Yup I certainly can. He didn't attempt to close down. He was on his heels and then also decides to go side on when Sears shoots. There was at least an attempt to close down by another defender which wasn't great either but an attempt nonetheless.

Fair enough....we disagree ?

Archived