IGNORED

Why we aren't scoring...

spudski

2 hours ago, Jack Bailey said:

O’Dowda is far more experienced and accomplished. He can play in a variety of positions including pure winger - yes running past players and whipping balls in. Johnson just won’t play him as he is refusing to sign a new deal. It’s the worst kept secret in the club. 

You haven’t seen Callum hugging the touch line recently as he hasn’t been playing you melt

You melt?! Wahey we’re on the set of The Football Factory.....!

3 hours ago, spudski said:

Odowda plays nothing like Eliasson.

Odowda plays more central and narrower.

When was the last time you saw Odowda hugging the touch line and overlapping with the full back and whipping in crosses?

He doesn't.

A line up and how we play are totally different.

On paper it can be 442...but that can be played either narrow or wide...all depends.

Agree......

.....but because LJ usually plays him on the right....

.....and he naturally comes in on his left foot.

9 hours ago, spudski said:

Look at my posts over a period of months...now look at our present football.

Our recent way of playing doesn't even remotely look like a month ago.

Football changes weekly...opinions change accordingly.

You can't quote many comments from the past as they are irrelevant presently.

Unfortunately you stick to one thought and stick to it...even if situations change.

Your constant quoting is rather tiring when your own thoughts are way out of date.

Spudski - dementia ?

9 hours ago, billywedlock said:

So with the current back 4 , and a midfield of Brownhill, Pack, Smith and O'Dowda, and any of Pato, Weimann, Fama and Taylor we would play more like last season. So the injury of Smith is the  only reason (maybe Taylor too) that is stopping that ! I am impressed at the random excuse generator that keeps rolling, with no respect to the facts . So where do the wide men LJ insists on signing fit that ? Or Fama ? So the crosses into the box, that are stated to be a poor way to collect goals was the players initiative ? They were going against the managers guidelines . Again... They are so naughty. The players methinks will be rather expecting more reliability from their muddled head coach. 

All bases were being covered but its gradual totally different change till the January window which will be telling from speaking from people inside the club but we wont know till its in black and white,.

17 hours ago, spudski said:

Odowda plays nothing like Eliasson.

Odowda plays more central and narrower.

When was the last time you saw Odowda hugging the touch line and overlapping with the full back and whipping in crosses?

He doesn't.

A line up and how we play are totally different.

On paper it can be 442...but that can be played either narrow or wide...all depends.

I didn't say that O'Dowda hugs the touchline, but he does get a fair amount of crosses into the box.

The main question, though, is as in my previous post: If Smith's style of play is so important to the way that Johnson wants to play, why hasn't he signed a similar player as backup?

20 minutes ago, NickJ said:

I didn't say that O'Dowda hugs the touchline, but he does get a fair amount of crosses into the box.

The main question, though, is as in my previous post: If Smith's style of play is so important to the way that Johnson wants to play, why hasn't he signed a similar player as backup?

Because we can't buy until January at the earliest.

Plus...I imagine he thought he had plenty of scope with the midfielders we have.

It's probably the one position and Packs that we need to cover in January... especially now with Walsh injured.

1 hour ago, Shtanley said:

LJ was asked about our poor home scoring record in his press conference. He brought up the fact that we are 5th in the league for shots on target. Even more interestingly we are 3rd best in shots on target faced! 

Who by?  Barton or McGregor?

That’s the kind of smart-arse attitude that annoys us outsiders.

It does perhaps and it's not ideal for press conference, but it does perhaps justify a theory that we haven't always got what we deserve- should probably have 2-3 more points IMO- that's after factoring in games which we've rode our luck too.

If you have solid underlying numbers like that it's at least something to build on, work with- whether he's the man to solve that puzzle is another issue!

Wide crosses...ineffective or not...I want to see him stick to it, if he believes that is the way forward.  Let’s see how he coaches those “double runs” (this week’s phrase to check if we hear it again) and whether we get someone across the near post, and players in the box.

In it’s simplest form, you could always have (within reason) Diedhiou attacking the near post, and the opposite winger attacking the far post.  If you play two up top, then they can work off each other.

But I want to see a trend of us using this regularly and gradually improving it.

You could argue the results (goals) at Ipswich and Eliasson’s volume of crosses v Millwall give rise to optimism.

I don’t particularly mind his he plays, but if we are truly gonna be a crossing team, let’s see that identity and stick to it.

2 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

McGregor. 

Wasn't smart arse at all. Thought it was one of his "best" press conferences in a long time.

Ta.  Will listen later.  I pretty much always like his pre-match lengthy interviews, it’s the post-match ones I usually disagree with.

11 hours ago, spudski said:

Because we can't buy until January at the earliest.

Plus...I imagine he thought he had plenty of scope with the midfielders we have.

It's probably the one position and Packs that we need to cover in January... especially now with Walsh injured.

Sorry but I thought we were supposed to have cover for every position.

After 3 years and 47 signings, if not, why not, for such an important position?

Spudski might I suggest using an existing but accurate figure there is an equally simple, but additional, reason we aren't scoring goals.

This season we have an xG (expected goals) for of 1.4 goals per game, but we have actually scored lower than that, at 1.2 goals per game. So our shots aren't resulting in as many goals as you would expect for a player in the Championship.

Last season we had an xG for of 1.3 goals per game, but we exceeded it and scored 1.5 goals per game, largely I would say because of Bobby, but Fammy also had an impressive minutes/goals ratio which was even better than Reid's across the season.

This year we have lost our best goalscorer and Deidhou isn't working out, we've ended up using Taylor (not a particularly natural goalscorer), Weimann (same) and Paterson (same) in attacking positions where we don't have someone who can mix it up, play as a 10 but also chip in with a clinical finish.

The stats do add up that we have produced more crosses, and there is a correlation to scoring more goals from fewer crosses. Of our three games with the lowest numbers of crosses, in two of those (QPR and Ipswich) we have scored three times. For our three games with the most crosses (West Brom, Stoke, Millwall) we have only scored three goals altogether. But that on its own is too simplistic, and as I've described above our lack of a clinical edge is more of a burden. And it bears out - at West Brom we should have matched them and then some.

6 hours ago, NickJ said:

Sorry but I thought we were supposed to have cover for every position.

After 3 years and 47 signings, if not, why not, for such an important position?

Because football changes every day...and you have a budget and have to do the best you can with it.

We aren't at a point where every position has the same quality cover in every position. Most Clubs don't.

With Walsh injured...if Pack gets injured...would you slay LJ for not having enough cover as well?

22 minutes ago, spudski said:

Because football changes every day...and you have a budget and have to do the best you can with it.

We aren't at a point where every position has the same quality cover in every position. Most Clubs don't.

With Walsh injured...if Pack gets injured...would you slay LJ for not having enough cover as well?

Other teams can have one injury like Smiths and not to have  totally change how they play.

On ‎04‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 08:59, spudski said:

LJ has recruited...(or shall I say MA) to cover many bases it seems. To have 'Clubs' for every eventuality.

On ‎04‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 17:34, spudski said:

Wide players were brought in to the squad...like I said...to cover all bases. LJ has said this when players brought in.

31 minutes ago, spudski said:

I would politely suggest the best is not being done with the budget if a single players injury has laid waste to how Mr Johnson planned to play this season with all at his disposal.

It is with all respects nonsense.

2 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

I would politely suggest the best is not being done with the budget if a single players injury has laid waste to how Mr Johnson planned to play this season with all at his disposal.

It is with all respects nonsense.

Since Smiths injury, we've tried various ways of playing with different players, in different positions and different roles.

During that time...others have been injured and others have lost form.

Imo...LJ has been trying to find a way of playing with players he feels he can trust on that day to do a job...and who he thinks will be the most effective.

His 'Form' players are Kelly and Eliasson...you can see he's using them. Bringing in Pisano and Adaluken with Weimann wider...also shows he's going offensive from wide.

Imo...it's also to put less pressure on an overworked and out of form Pack. Especially with Smith and now Walsh injured.

34 minutes ago, spudski said:

Since Smiths injury, we've tried various ways of playing with different players, in different positions and different roles.

Imo...LJ has been trying to find a way of playing with players he feels he can trust on that day to do a job...and who he thinks will be the most effective.

His 'Form' players are Kelly and Eliasson...you can see he's using them. Bringing in Pisano and Adaluken with Weimann wider...also shows he's going offensive from wide.

Imo...it's also to put less pressure on an overworked and out of form Pack. Especially with Smith and now Walsh injured.

Surely a good- ideal even- way to remove some pressure from Pack is to play him in a 3 with Morrell and Brownhill (would be Smith or Walsh, but injuries) or to have Hegeler screening between defence and midfield so Pack can have to cover a base or 2 less.

Having 2 in central midfield as on paper we tend to (I consider it something of a 4-2-3-1), to use the width puts more pressure on Pack. Now if it's a plan to cede possession and counter like say Millwall of last season but with better players, or to an extent Birmingham of this season then maybe it would look different with Pack in a '2' but it looks muddled and shoehorned- an awkward fit, if that's his current idea. If it's a high-energy counterattacking 4-4-2 in that mould, I'd go with Taylor and Weimann and no Paterson. Unsure where Diedhiou would fit into that setup tbh, bench strength aside.

@Robin1988 I agree with a certain amount of what you say and without doubt we're less clinical this season, but at the same time LJ doesn't help matters- Paterson behind Diedhiou doesn't mesh, doesn't work out- for either of them. Would argue Diedhiou and Weimann given their different attributes also flawed but especially the first.

2 minutes ago, spudski said:

Last season you provided numerous explanations for Bristol City changing the way it played football including fatigue and injury.

This season and barely into December Since Smiths injury, we've tried various ways of playing with different players, in different positions and different roles.

Constant change, disorganisation, poor planning … Season to season.

7 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

:clap:

Constant change, disorganisation, poor planning … Season to season. ....muddled and confused ideas.....muddled recruitment.....

Constant change, disorganisation, poor planning … Season to season. ....muddled and confused ideas.....muddled recruitment.....

Constant change

Constant change

Constant change

I don’t believe he has a clear plan / ethos Cowshed

Increasingly the evidence in what he’s  said , and done, that he latches onto the part of the side he perceives as working and focuses on that rather than following a clear and set ethos

12 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Last season you provided numerous explanations for Bristol City changing the way it played football including fatigue and injury.

This season and barely into December Since Smiths injury, we've tried various ways of playing with different players, in different positions and different roles.

Mate...you talk like it's just a case of picking players that are all available, all fit, none carrying injuries, none suspended, none out of form and all 100% at the top of their game.

The conditions change weekly.

Take into consideration confidence...stemming losing streaks... stopped the rot etc.

Finding a way just to settle, then kick on.

It happens with every team.

Of course they will make mistakes...nothing is perfect...and even I don't think what he's doing is going to be effective long term...however...I can see why he's doing it.

25 minutes ago, spudski said:

Mate...you talk like it's just a case of picking players that are all available, all fit, none carrying injuries, none suspended, none out of form and all 100% at the top of their game.

The conditions change weekly.

Take into consideration confidence...stemming losing streaks... stopped the rot etc.

Finding a way just to settle, then kick on.

It happens with every team.

Of course they will make mistakes...nothing is perfect...and even I don't think what he's doing is going to be effective long term...however...I can see why he's doing it.

No conditions can change weekly but the methodology a club and Manager/Coach have to meet what are predictable challenges does not have to.

Settled is steady, methodical, planned, organised, rehearsed, trained in over pre season and on through periodized approach leading to progress … A pictorial metaphor to visualise Mr Johnsons Bristol City … Flip flops.

2 hours ago, spudski said:

I agree Spud.

To be fair to Marlon, his performance against Millwall represents a big step on the way to recovering his previous form. One of his best games for months.

It was a disappointing game, but there were a few individual points to take comfort from.

Archived