IGNORED

Bath Rugby playing at Ashton Gate?

Eddie Hitler

12 minutes ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

checking comments on Bath Rugby Supporters facebook group, Swindon would seem to be a reasonably popular alternative....not that there's many reasonable alternatives

got a train to Swindon last year which coincided with the aftermath of a Bath game.  Loads of Barf fans got off in Chippenham and then loads more at Swindon.  Their fanbase is mostly east of Bath so it would make sense.  

2 minutes ago, The Bard said:

got a train to Swindon last year which coincided with the aftermath of a Bath game.  Loads of Barf fans got off in Chippenham and then loads more at Swindon.  Their fanbase is mostly east of Bath so it would make sense.  

Not to mention the wagon load that come in from Trowbridge, Westbury and Warminster

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

I remember seeing something a few months ago that stated that the English Rugby Premiership would not allow any of their member clubs to ground share with more than one other club. It didn't specify two rugby clubs or one rugby and one football. If my memory is correct and this is fact, then it would be impossible for Bath RFC to be allowed to use Ashton Gate on a regular basis.

Guess we need to find somewhere else to play then :ph34r:

6 hours ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

back some years ago, there was some discussion about Bath Rugby using the County Ground, Swindon on a temporary basis. Dont discount that particular option.....I cant see Swindon turning down the extra revenue

The county ground is owned by the council so no revenue would go to the club. Supporters trust have been trying to buy it for a few years now I believe.

10 hours ago, JBFC II said:

No chance we could fit bath in as well as having both city and Bris playing here. 

Much more chance of it being at rovers, which is more of a home from home for Bath anyway... 

Ashton Gate is more than capable of hosting two games a weekend. Remember rugby has far less home games than football does. 

We would be bonkers to turn down this extra revenue stream imo if the opportunity arises.

Their training ground etc is Farleigh House just up the road from Farleigh Hungerford.  An amazing set up to be honest.  Playing away (:laugh:) it would either be up at the Memorial Ground which is just about big enough for Bath's regular 10-11,000 or possibly Swindon.  I don't think Ashton Gate would work given that already two professional sides play there ... 

On a different note, why is it that the West Country is cr*p when it comes to football but up there with the best when it comes to rugby??  Exeter, Bath, Bristol and Gloucester ... basically Div 4 football but Premiership rugby ... 

AG as a stadium is more than capable to hold 3 games over a weekend, but 100% will not happen, 1 because the grounds staff already put in ridiculously long hours a week let alone when us and Bristol are home on the same weekend, and 2 the fixture changes would be horrendous, we already have fans moaning about moving 1 or 2 games this season due to clashes and ruining their Sunday roasts.

7 hours ago, BCFC11 said:

AG as a stadium is more than capable to hold 3 games over a weekend, but 100% will not happen, 1 because the grounds staff already put in ridiculously long hours a week let alone when us and Bristol are home on the same weekend, and 2 the fixture changes would be horrendous, we already have fans moaning about moving 1 or 2 games this season due to clashes and ruining their Sunday roasts.

I think the Primacy of Tenure rules still apply in the English Premiership so surely this is dead in the water.

On 05/12/2018 at 21:18, The Bard said:

This is true, it's the same on the trains every time we play on the same day. The sense of self entitlement of that lot is incredible. Straight into first class or complaining loudly if they can't sit down, unacceptable they should have to stand for ten minutes going back to Chippenham or Swindon. Guessing they've probably got the 4x4 parked at the station as well. 

Imagine if they had to travel on Virgin or Cross Country up North like football fans and spend two hours crushed into a corridor by a toilet, their heads would completely fall off.

On 06/12/2018 at 02:48, Up The City! said:

Ashton Gate is more than capable of hosting two games a weekend. Remember rugby has far less home games than football does. 

We would be bonkers to turn down this extra revenue stream imo if the opportunity arises.

It's not a case of being able to fit in another club, be it rugby or football.

Both EFL and Football Premier League, if we ever get there, and Rugby Premiership have rules about sharing of grounds that state that their club must have "primacy of tenure". This is the ability to play matches to suit their fixture list and also to be able to fit in with television schedules.

Thus, adding another club into the mix from start of August to end of May would or could cause real scheduling problems.

As there are financial benefits for both City and Bristol Rugby such as the sharing of pitch and stadium maintenance and both clubs are owned by the same person, the scheduling of matches will be managed amicably between them, I assume.

But it will inevitably lead to the possibility that the agreed timing of both club's matches, may not be convenient to some supporters. It's not a case of Bristol Rugby taking priority over City and vice versa. 

The EFL suddenly finding that, even with all the computer technology available even on a mobile phone, they find it impossible to adhere to a one hundred year unwritten rule. " That Bristol City and Bristol Rovers shall not be scheduled to play home matches in the same day", is causing unwanted additional problems.

As a retired person, the changes of days, hardly affect me, but I realize that late changes to match days and kick off times will seriously affect many others. Unless SL builds another stadium, or buys the Mem for the Rugby club, everyone will have to grin and bear it. 

Archived