IGNORED

The emphasis on 'younger' players

Lrrr

7 hours ago, simon uk said:

Rare for me, but happy to give lj credit for this, though i suppose it helps when youve got a once in a generation talent like kelly coming through!

Hardly once in a generation. We just sold our last left back for good cash that came through the academy, I’m also told ( I’ve not seen him play myself) our next left back from the academy is even better than LK so it looks like LJ is overseeing a very successful period

@hodge

Glad you posted this as I spotted it too but never for round to it.

Quite an achievement really to be where we are with such a young team.  I am critical of the style of play right now, but if we can keep the nucleus of the team together they will improve.

The danger always is that unless you achieve promotion some other club will nick your better players.   The only thing that can negate that impact is to have consistent style of play throughout the club at all levels so developing players slot in when players inevitably move on. 

That is certainly what the club seem to be doing, though I feel we have sacrificed style and entertainment for solidity and grinding out results.  Probably more a result of some players coming in not having the impact we hoped especially up front. 

This last year Rovers have trumpeted their U23 team as their future players (probably right when they hit the Conference again) and under-performing Derek Adams at Plymouth is seen as secure because he is focused upon bringing young players through.

There is a general realisation amongst league (as opposed to premiership) clubs that bringing youngsters through is affordable whereas paying top wages for experienced players isn't and is also a gamble, e.g. Gary O'Neill and his injuries.  This also means LJ looks safe if he keeps clear of the relegation zone.

I can see those figures in the OP going up and up.

3 hours ago, RedSkin said:

@hodge

Glad you posted this as I spotted it too but never for round to it.

Quite an achievement really to be where we are with such a young team.  I am critical of the style of play right now, but if we can keep the nucleus of the team together they will improve.

The danger always is that unless you achieve promotion some other club will nick your better players.   The only thing that can negate that impact is to have consistent style of play throughout the club at all levels so developing players slot in when players inevitably move on. 

That is certainly what the club seem to be doing, though I feel we have sacrificed style and entertainment for solidity and grinding out results.  Probably more a result of some players coming in not having the impact we hoped especially up front. 

It depends on whether the strategy is to have a core of home grown players in the side or whether it is to develop players to sell for big money. It looks to me that it is the latter.

In fairness, doing what Alan Dicks did would be  nigh on impossible now because the rewards of moving to a bigger club are so much greater. There is no way we could keep Merrick and Ritchie out of Arsenal's clutches these days for instance.

39 minutes ago, chinapig said:

It depends on whether the strategy is to have a core of home grown players in the side or whether it is to develop players to sell for big money. It looks to me that it is the latter.

In fairness, doing what Alan Dicks did would be  nigh on impossible now because the rewards of moving to a bigger club are so much greater. There is no way we could keep Merrick and Ritchie out of Arsenal's clutches these days for instance.

I don't know. They must be past their peak by now.

Archived