IGNORED

Nikki Maenpaa

SStandUp

20 minutes ago, Chivs said:

I can't remember the opposition but I thought Maenpaa was at fault when he conceded a goal direct from a corner.  He claimed he was pushed over but that just shouldn't happen in the six yard box.

Anyway, being picky as I believe he is a about 3500% better than Fielding.

Yes - good recall 

Blackburn

Well , he clearly has ridden that one

Solid :thumbsup:

4 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

On the match day thread I named him as my MOTM .

Today he bossed it . Calm, assured, saved well when called upon . 

As has been said he arrived in a silent fanfare as the majority were focused on the Superstar Keeper from the states but for me he ranks as the best signing of the summer .

Well done Nikki .

Amazing how sometimes a player just fits at a club, Nikki is that player for us, there has been no fanfare because well we haven't needed one. 

17 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

On the match day thread I named him as my MOTM .

Today he bossed it . Calm, assured, saved well when called upon . 

As has been said he arrived in a silent fanfare as the majority were focused on the Superstar Keeper from the states but for me he ranks as the best signing of the summer .

Well done Nikki .

Would've been mine too were it not for Diedhiou's superb display.

He's big and agile, not bad with his feet either!

I like the way in recent games he has made the brave decision to come out of his box where there looks danger of being a breakaway opponent coming in one-on-one. Those sort of calls can go horribly wrong, but he's been spot on each time.

6 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I like the way in recent games he has made the brave decision to come out of his box where there looks danger of being a breakaway opponent coming in one-on-one. Those sort of calls can go horribly wrong, but he's been spot on each time.

It was pretty much neck and neck to be honest and if Fammy had  notched or assisted  perhaps he would have shaded it but Nikki kept us in the match with some very good saves and assured keeping .

7 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I think an opposition striker with Niki bearing down on him is quite a frightening sight.

Think it’s the first time since maybe Mercer I’ve not had worried about a regular keeper having a mad rush of blood and doing something nuts. Basso (though part of his charm) Fielding James Gerkin all prone to moments of unpredictability. Saying that I’m probably doing Heaton a disservice there

I've always felt Fielding's overly criticised and any other keeper we've had over the last few years has tended to be overrated as a result of not being him (think O'Donnell, Steele) but I like Maenpaa. Definitely his shirt to lose now when Frankie comes back.

Most impressively for me, his handling is excellent. A couple of crucial late saves v Norwich and at Birmingham that weren't especially acrobatic, but fiercely struck shots with multiple players following up for any rebounds, and he just swallowed them up. Good trait to have.

Archived