IGNORED

Home Brew

Markman

On 25/12/2018 at 09:01, Markman said:

so = got loads of lemons and been sent a recipe for Limoncello that is dead easy but I need 95% alcohol as part of the mix - where on earth can you buy or get this? 

I need a litre of the stuff?

Any ideas cheers

We have about 20 tonnes of industrial methylated spirit at work! 94%.

On 25/12/2018 at 09:01, Markman said:

so = got loads of lemons and been sent a recipe for Limoncello that is dead easy but I need 95% alcohol as part of the mix - where on earth can you buy or get this? 

Any ideas cheers

are you sure about the 95% bit??? - you could use Everclear alcohol, (@95% i think http://www.theliquorbarn.com/everclear-grain-alcohol-190-proof-750ml/ )

but TBH regular Vodka is fine for Limoncello.

95% will melt your eyeballs!!

even regular grain alcohol will only get you to about 40%

13 hours ago, Antman said:

are you sure about the 95% bit??? - you could use Everclear alcohol, (@95% i think http://www.theliquorbarn.com/everclear-grain-alcohol-190-proof-750ml/ )

but TBH regular Vodka is fine for Limoncello.

95% will melt your eyeballs!!

even regular grain alcohol will only get you to about 40%

Cheers - a friend in Italy sent me the recipe - it does say in his Italian/English exactly this "1 liter alcohol (95% degrees)" (sic) - maybe I will get some strong vodka or check that link out you sent - cheers (hic)!

3 hours ago, Markman said:

Cheers - a friend in Italy sent me the recipe - it does say in his Italian/English exactly this "1 liter alcohol (95% degrees)" (sic) - maybe I will get some strong vodka or check that link out you sent - cheers (hic)!

100 proof is 50% abv, you should be fine with vodka.

On 25/12/2018 at 10:01, Markman said:

Any ideas cheers

Alcohol proof is defined as twice the percentage of alcohol by volume (ABV). Consequently, 90-proof vodka is 45% ABFso your standard bottle of vodka should suffice.

In a different life, I used to make homemade 'lemon gin', using only (lots of) lemons, various other fruits, a few potatoes and a few sticks of dried spaghetti - extremely potent, I can assure you.

Archived