IGNORED

anyone going to do a match report?

hoxton casual

11 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Full report (and an honest one, unlike Lee's)

You missed nothing.

Thankfully, Brentford missed lots of guilt-edged chances and we were lucky to draw.

City 2 shots on target, and apparently the header for the goal was going wide until it hit someone.

End of report.

Nothing if not succinct AppyDaze!

Pato better than many of the people on here would have you believe.

Fam starved of chances (wanted to say famished)

NM looking really solidly between the sticks.

Kalas and Webster composed.

Brownhill busy and breaking up play but no attcking creativity.

O’Dowda a good game shame we are seeing the best of him before he leaves.

Dasilva needs to start he so rarely misplaces a pass even when under pressure.

like others said Brentford determined and City could not cope well with the closing or their possession.

Brentford were not very good and they battered us at times. Honestly going into more detail will only make me angry and I am a bit under the weather myself. Probably the 4-5th time I was sat there thinking why I bothered. I expect more of the same against Rotherham. If there was a survey asking me if I’d refer friends to a match at AG I would tick the unlikely option. If I wasn’t already paid up then I probably wouldn’t go. Huddersfield in the FA cup is on course to be the first home game I have missed in 4 years. Sad because I really like going down but feels like the life has been sucked out of the club

I'm not going to bore you all with a full match report, but just a few thoughts based on today's viewing.

We looked lethargic, lackadaisical, and generally it appeared to me that we viewed this as a game that we would win just by showing up. By contrast, Brentford turned up and hassled and harassed us into making predictable passes, wasteful decisions, and poor mistakes. They weren't by any stretch of the imagination a great side, but they did the basics well - something that I seem to remember LJ saying he wanted from us? 

Both teams attempted to knock the ball around in periods, though Brentford looked far better at it because we stood off them by 5-10 yards every time. They, on the other hand, gave us little more than 1-2 yards space whenever we had the ball in dangerous areas. Kelly and Pack stood out for me as being particularly wasteful, even in respect of Brentford's pressing. Kelly was rightly subbed for Da Silva, having had a mare of a game in all honesty. 

Dhiedhou blew hot and cold, and to me looked as though he really needed the support of a second striker playing off him. We seemed to have more attacking intent with Matty Taylor on, who drew a lot of fouls from their clumsy challenges, but it was too little too late from LJ again. Weimann seemed a total passenger out wide in a role that I am convinced does not suit his or even the team's strengths. 

Webster was an assured presence at the back, calm with the ball at his feet - but questions surely have to be asked at how Brentford always found a man in acres of space in our 18 yard area with a free shot on goal? Their finishing was dreadful today, and a better quality of team could easily have stuck 3 or 4 past us with the chances they had. We didn't learn any lessons from the 3 chances in the first half as we allowed another unmarked player to find space in the 18 yard area and slot home for their equaliser. 

There isn't too much I can say about the other players, since they all seemed to play in a stodgy and cumbersome fashion, failing to show any real grit or determination to haul themselves into the game. Frankly, despite my head telling me that neither team really showed a convincing claim for all 3 points, my heart makes me feel as though it was 2 points dropped today. 

9 hours ago, ziderheadarmy said:

@hodge the way it was wrote I thought the poster meant he was off in Jan (like next week) 

Which would make more sense - I expect O'Dowda to go in Jan as we clearly haven't agreed a deal and we don't just let players run their contract down anymore. His form in recent weeks is shop window stuff anyway, he's auditioning for someone.

Regarding a match report, I only do away games, which is a blessed relief at the moment, as I can't remember much worth writing about after home games (as Super says, I'd have to stay awake for a start). I did post thoughts in the "mid table" thread. 

Personally thought that Kelly had a terrible game. I'm all for supporting the younger players, but wouldnt have been surprised to see him swapped for Dasilva at half time. Quite a few mistakes defensively, and some of them were mistakes that you shouldn't be seeing at this level- Brentford had a few chances due to the mistakes, and thought that they targeted the left side deliberately as they saw Lloyd as the weakest link.

Don't get me wrong, he looked ok going forward,  and also at times was good defensively, but I think he needs a few games on the bench, and a bit of drilling from JM on how to get the defensive part of his game right.

He wasn't the worse player out there yesterday,  and to be fair the game was so boring his mistakes just stood out for me, especially as I was sat right in line with him in the first half.

NM looked confident in goal, and to be honest I would be surprised if Fielding plays again for the first team in the league, unless NM is out for any amount of time (as I think that his contract is up in the summer?)

If Brentford were able to finish yesterday, we could have been on the end of a 2-3 goal defeat. Also the goal that they did score was a terrible one to concede from our point of view. Simple throw in over the top, 20 seconds later in the back of the net. A good finish, but should never have been able to go through us that easily. We are not nasty enough, the midfield needs serious attention, as well as a striker who is likely to get at least 1 in 3, as we dont look like scoring at times.

I won't get started on LJ in or out, but something needs to change soon, as we are looking far from the team of last season.

12 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

Brentford were not very good and they battered us at times. Honestly going into more detail will only make me angry and I am a bit under the weather myself. Probably the 4-5th time I was sat there thinking why I bothered. I expect more of the same against Rotherham. If there was a survey asking me if I’d refer friends to a match at AG I would tick the unlikely option. If I wasn’t already paid up then I probably wouldn’t go. Huddersfield in the FA cup is on course to be the first home game I have missed in 4 years. Sad because I really like going down but feels like the life has been sucked out of the club

Me too.

I must have read the game differently, as it wasn’t all that bad. I thought we created some fantastic chances but spent most the game not quite clicking. Maybe I’ve just come to expect that from city now ?

i get worried when they stop trying stuff - pack played some fantastic passes yday and mis-hit a whole bunch too. But it’s when he doesn’t even try them, that’s when I start to be concerned. They all look like they’re playing with some confidence, but never really got the rhythm going. Maybe too much turkey on Xmas day.

Kelly had a complete off day. We’re lucky to have two great options there though.

I’d say:

Niki - 8 some good saves

pisano - 7 I think even he was surprised by his goal

kalas - 6

webster - 8

kelly - 4

brownhill - 6

pack - 6

weimann - 5 not enough impact for what he should be providing

odowda - 6 didn’t find the space 

pato - 6

diedhou - 6

dasilva - 6 but looked like an 8 when compared to Kelly today!

eliasson - 6

taylor - 6 great energy yet again

I heard all day,  multiple people say “we should be more like brentford”. They have looked fantastic whenever I’ve seen them, but they obviously have worse consistency issues than us given they are lower in the league. And When we are playing our best, we are fantastic too. So personally I wouldn’t wanna be more like them.

I think we have a good thing going on here and I’m optimistic that SL will fund the right additions to the squad in Jan. I know history doesn’t suggest that is likely, but it’s just my gut instinct. 

JoeAmam had better leave now as he must have some serious issues. If he has loved the last 4 years but doesnt like the current state of the club 'life sucked out' he really needs help

JCole saw the game much like everyone around me. 

A good Brentford side were playing like we try to away from home and certainly created the most and the better chances. Do i want to be in their position - NO! Do i look forward to Saturdays game then Stoke, YES, we have an exciting team with a good work and performance ethic.

I mentioned on a post last week i thought Kelly was our weakest link in the 'Back 5'. Saturday again proved me right but i'm not going to stick my neck out on that one again as a hundred people called me 'anti-Kelly' (which I'm not, i love the bloke's potential and attacking attributes) but he is just so inexperienced we sometimes need to sub him early - well done LJ for that.

14 hours ago, Taz said:

Personally thought that Kelly had a terrible game. I'm all for supporting the younger players, but wouldnt have been surprised to see him swapped for Dasilva at half time. Quite a few mistakes defensively, and some of them were mistakes that you shouldn't be seeing at this level- Brentford had a few chances due to the mistakes, and thought that they targeted the left side deliberately as they saw Lloyd as the weakest link.

Don't get me wrong, he looked ok going forward,  and also at times was good defensively, but I think he needs a few games on the bench, and a bit of drilling from JM on how to get the defensive part of his game right.

He wasn't the worse player out there yesterday,  and to be fair the game was so boring his mistakes just stood out for me, especially as I was sat right in line with him in the first half.

NM looked confident in goal, and to be honest I would be surprised if Fielding plays again for the first team in the league, unless NM is out for any amount of time (as I think that his contract is up in the summer?)

If Brentford were able to finish yesterday, we could have been on the end of a 2-3 goal defeat. Also the goal that they did score was a terrible one to concede from our point of view. Simple throw in over the top, 20 seconds later in the back of the net. A good finish, but should never have been able to go through us that easily. We are not nasty enough, the midfield needs serious attention, as well as a striker who is likely to get at least 1 in 3, as we dont look like scoring at times.

I won't get started on LJ in or out, but something needs to change soon, as we are looking far from the team of last season.

Kelly made probably three mistakes maybe four. However you are going to get a little bit of inconsistency with a boy full back. He didn’t have a terrible game it just wasn’t his best by a street and Desilva was brought on. 

Brentford were really not that good. They had chances but so did we. I agree we are not nasty enough. We need GG but we have needed him since 1980. We are soft have been for 40 years. 

Archived