IGNORED

LJ wanted to sign Ollie Watkins 2 years ago

Lrrr

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Been admirer of him for a while.  Needs a few chances but like his predecessor Scott Hogan has bloody good movement.  He has a nasty streak too.

Not sure he suits our current style....he would’ve suited pre-Xmas last season’s set up though.

Would suit us better than Famara Dave, Or even as a partner

2 hours ago, Loosey Boy said:

Exeter wanted near on £3m from us - ended up going to Brentford for £1.8m!!

Not sure I know you Loosey Boy, but you are 100% spot on. 

Exeter quoted us £3m but ended up selling to Brentford for £1.8m. From what I understand from my contacts at Exeter, they are very loyal to clubs who show long-standing interest and they actually have the players best interests at heart, and it’s not all about who might offer the most money. They didn’t see us as a club that was for Ollie’s best interest. Brentford they had more confidence in to be able to realise his potential. 

11 minutes ago, Harry said:

Exeter quoted us £3m but ended up selling to Brentford for £1.8m. From what I understand from my contacts at Exeter, they are very loyal to clubs who show long-standing interest and they actually have the players best interests at heart, and it’s not all about who might offer the most money. They didn’t see us as a club that was for Ollie’s best interest. Brentford they had more confidence in to be able to realise his potential. 

I assume to turn down a higher fee Harry their sell on clause would I suggest be substantial

A strange one by the sounds of it ......Just remembered.   - Perryman managed Brentford at one point 

:whistle2:

19 minutes ago, Harry said:

If true, that's outrageous tbh and I'm glad we didn't sign Watkins out of principle. We shouldn't be held to ransom by tiny clubs like Exeter City. We've given them loan players in the past so not sure why they'd feel they can behave in this way. Hope we don't do them any more favours. 

28 minutes ago, Harry said:

A case of weighing up how much he'd play at Brentford vs with us perhaps? If they believed their sell on clause would earn more from Brentford and a history of selling players on for good fees.

17 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

If true, that's outrageous tbh and I'm glad we didn't sign Watkins out of principle. We shouldn't be held to ransom by tiny clubs like Exeter City. We've given them loan players in the past so not sure why they'd feel they can behave in this way. Hope we don't do them any more favours. 

Mate, I’d say it’s more of a sad indictment on ourselves for not fostering a positive relationship with a club down the road with a proven ability to nurture decent young players. 

We ought to ask ourselves why Exeter would prefer to trust Brentford with their best academy products than they would us. 

3 hours ago, hodge said:

For all the comments on here about how he was under our nose but didn't sign him etc, from the BP website:

"I wanted to sign Watkins and he was top of our list when we signed Niclas...

1 hour ago, glynriley said:

He'd probably be on loan at Cheltenham or Newport now. 

Spot on.....”...one for the future, still developing...” 

We’ve heard it time and again....then they disappear into oblivion....

2 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Spot on.....”...one for the future, still developing...” 

We’ve heard it time and again....then they disappear into oblivion....

Eliasson is in the squad, O'Dowda signed same summer, Brownhill as well. Its not like they don't play in the first team as well.

3 hours ago, hodge said:

For all the comments on here about how he was under our nose but didn't sign him etc, from the BP website:

"I wanted to sign Watkins and he was top of our list when we signed Niclas Eliasson actually - and I'm not speaking out of hand because I spoke to Niclas and he knows all about it.

"But at the time the price was hiked a little bit for us, which we didn't like, but he is a good player.

So if we're talking about being interested in him over Eliasson does that indicate the price for Watkins was higher than what we paid for Eliasson? Transfermarkt seems to be indicating that Brentford paid £1.8m for Watkins which is similar to what we paid for Eliasson.

Just re read the original quotes

not what LJ said about the recruitment and signing of Elliasson at the Fans Forum 2 yrs ago

It’s an interesting comparison.....Ollie Watkins vs Niclas Eliasson.  One I would consider a winger, the other I would consider a wide forward.  I know Niclas has been referred to as being able to play “in behind”, but the only time he’s played there was against Sheffield Utd, and that was in a 532.  Watkins, from limited views, appears to be a fluid player who plays along the forward line....which suits Brentford and their movement / interchangeable way of playing.

In fairness to LJ there’s probably a lot of truth in what he said, but a bit of licence with the facts.

3 hours ago, INCRED said:

I think we have taken a lot of chances on lower league players if you look at our buys but none have been able to shine just yet

Not sure I’d agree to be honest. We have certainly purchased a few players of age 20 and under but none have been a “taking a chance” effort, ie like £100k for Watkins before he was on everyone’s radar, or £50k for Bowen, or £250k for Ryan Woods, the list can go on. If anything, looking at the young players we’ve signed below, we’re probably over-paying, whilst arguably the most successful of these was on a free! 

Walsh - £1m - Everton. 

Eliasson - £1.8m - Norkopping

Moore - £1.6m - Lens

Engvall - £1.4m - Gothenburg

O’Dowda - £1m - Oxford

Brownhill - Free - Preston

Di Girolamo - Free - Sheff Utd

1 minute ago, Harry said:

Not sure I’d agree to be honest. We have certainly purchased a few players of age 20 and under but none have been a “taking a chance” effort, ie like £100k for Watkins before he was on everyone’s radar, or £50k for Bowen, or £250k for Ryan Woods, the list can go on. If anything, looking at the young players we’ve signed below, we’re probably over-paying, whilst arguably the most successful of these was on a free! 

Walsh - £1m - Everton. 

Eliasson - £1.8m - Norkopping

Moore - £1.6m - Lens

Engvall - £1.4m - Gothenburg

O’Dowda - £1m - Oxford

Brownhill - Free - Preston

Di Girolamo - Free - Sheff Utd

Think that’s what I've always thought, we pay over the odds for youngsters.

Any idea what we paid for Hinds and Bakinson.  I though £350k for Tyreeq, but heard as much as £850k? ? 

23 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Just re read the original quotes

not what LJ said about the recruitment and signing of Elliasson at the Fans Forum 2 yrs ago

As I’ve told you before mate, when it comes to ‘recruitment’ the untruths, spin, narrative (however you wanna put it) that comes out of the club is astounding. 

24 minutes ago, hodge said:

Eliasson is in the squad, O'Dowda signed same summer, Brownhill as well. Its not like they don't play in the first team as well.

But when we signed Brownhill, LJ said “He’s a sought after footballer, experienced beyond his years” - so it doesn’t sound like he thought he was still developing, one for the future....

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

All about long term investment.

Say they have a 20% sell on fee. If Brentford sell Watkins for £15m (not unreasonable), that’s £3 mil extra. Total £4.8m then.

If they sold him to us, when we loan him to Cheltenham, Newport and Torquay and then release him, they’d only of made the initial £3m.

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Been admirer of him for a while.  Needs a few chances but like his predecessor Scott Hogan has bloody good movement.  He has a nasty streak too.

Not sure he suits our current style....he would’ve suited pre-Xmas last season’s set up though.

I wonder how much Maupay would have cost compared to our punt on Diony last January? Almost any price would seem reasonable on that comparison!

8 hours ago, Red_Wizard said:

What was said Bob? Can you recall? 

In summary , and there’s a detailed thread on here somewhere , LJ and MA used NE as a demonstration / example about how they recruit , from Lee looking at analytical software looking for a Anthony Knockhart type and showed on the screen how NE hit some of the best stats in Europe and was the obvious one to look at in terms of affordability/getability in the top 8/10 in stats, went on how they watched him and MA swooned as he explained they got him because they got in and moved early with interest from Premier League 

He was very much sold as our  focused target , no mention of missing out on anyone else and the emphasis that we ‘got’ NE as we ‘got in early’

9 hours ago, Harry said:

As I’ve told you before mate, when it comes to ‘recruitment’ the untruths, spin, narrative (however you wanna put it) that comes out of the club is astounding. 

I don’t doubt it Harry 

And as in all walks of life , but of course , when that shows ,credibility takes a dive

Back to Watkins again  .... and I don’t doubt your knowledge .....that is very strange .... suggests some history somewhere 

I think it is easy in hindsight to say we should have had a punt on him at 100k, but then at the next level of interest when they were asking 3 million (to us anyway) I would have told them to do one as well. Are people seriously suggesting we should be happily paying 3 million quid for a League 2 player - when the same club are willing to sell him for 40% less to another club? 

2 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

In summary , and there’s a detailed thread on here somewhere , LJ and MA used NE as a demonstration / example about how they recruit , from Lee looking at analytical software looking for a Anthony Knockhart type and showed on the screen how NE hit some of the best stats in Europe and was the obvious one to look at in terms of affordability/getability in the top 8/10 in stats, went on how they watched him and MA swooned as he explained they got him because they got in and moved early with interest from Premier League 

He was very much sold as our  focused target , no mention of missing out on anyone else and the emphasis that we ‘got’ NE as we ‘got in early’

Just another example of the people with the most power at the club talking too much. There would probably be a lot less negativity around the club if people could just shut up. Would have been simple to go over how the come up with targets using Ne as an example yet had to try to BS everyone saying he had prem interest and our too target blah blah blah. Not the first or last time their mouths will catch them out

Out of interest , can anyone assist - how / in what context did LJ get dragged into talking about Olllie Watkins and any attempts to sign him ?

Post Match ?

Edit

Cancel that - just read it on Evil Post website 

Why .... just why ....would you get involved in that conversation ......and reveal so much (Assuming it’s true) ........why........wtf

We were interested , he’s a Brentford player now ....move on 

14 hours ago, Loosey Boy said:

Exeter wanted near on £3m from us - ended up going to Brentford for £1.8m!!

Then that comes down to how we negotiate , and again the club have come up short.

If you are right that Exeter wanted £3m from us but only got £1.8m  from Brentford why didn’t we bid £2m and get the player.

17 minutes ago, bs3 said:

Then that comes down to how we negotiate , and again the club have come up short.

If you are right that Exeter wanted £3m from us but only got £1.8m  from Brentford why didn’t we bid £2m and get the player.

Maybe it’s just me but I’m astounded we are discussing this in a post match press conference , to what aim ?

(Let’s hope for heavens sake that it’s at least true)

Why oh why would we get in a discussion about it 

Who are we trying to p off more ....Exeter .....Brentford.....?.....Elliasson.........and what’s the gain ......the idea.....

Who’s , desperately trying to defend .....what ....here.....?

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Maybe it’s just me but I’m astounded we are discussing this in a post match press conference , to what aim ?

(Let’s hope for heavens sake that it’s at least true)

Why oh why would we get in a discussion about it 

Who are we trying to p off more ....Exeter .....Brentford.....?........and what’s the gain ......the idea.....

Who’s , desperately trying to defend .....what ....here

I didn’t hear the post match press conference I was just was responding to the fact that our recruitment is failing yet again.

1 minute ago, bs3 said:

I didn’t hear the post match press conference I was just was responding to the fact that our recruitment is failing yet again.

Wasn’t making a point to you bs3 , and probably confused the matter by quoting your post,  (which I agree with ! )

My Post was more of an ‘open thought’ !!! 

The Post Match interview is on the Evil Post website , awful

52 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Why .... just why ....would you get involved in that conversation ......and reveal so much (Assuming it’s true) ........why........wtf

We were interested , he’s a Brentford player now ....move on 

Because we have people at the club in both LJ and MA who perpetually seem to be at pains to find things to take credit for. Here is a good player and I spotted him and tried to sign him. This is not LJ bashing by the way, I just think it's sad that they must feel so under pressure by their limitations in other areas, that they are constantly on the look out for trivial things to embellish the old CV. It was the same with that Times interview. Funny that successful managers don't always have to highlight things like this.

Archived