IGNORED

‘WE’RE WORKING HARD TO SEE GAMES OUT’

Lrrr

The title of the interview with Dean Holden on the club website, referring to the Brentford game we shouldn't have been looking to see the game out we should have been looking for a 2nd goal. 'It was a lack of concentration and focus for 15 seconds or so while the ball was out of play. Within a couple of seconds of the ball being back on the pitch, Neal Maupay has put the ball in the back of our net; it’s fine margins.' 

If the coaching team actually think that then it is very worrying. Two steps forwards and two steps back sometimes. If they cannot identify why we don’t win a game then what chance do we have? 

Surely a player needs to believe what he is being told. If I was a player and was told we need to see out a 1-0 for 60 minutes then I would be concerned

8 minutes ago, RedDave said:

If the coaching team actually think that then it is very worrying. Two steps forwards and two steps back sometimes. If they cannot identify why we don’t win a game then what chance do we have? 

Surely a player needs to believe what he is being told. If I was a player and was told we need to see out a 1-0 for 60 minutes then I would be concerned

Yes, I wonder whether coaches think about the impact of what they say on fans.

Dean has effectively publicly stated that it is indeed our plan to sit on a lead. 

It's a way of playing but it suggests that Lee got more out of meeting Mourinho than meeting Guardiola. Reactive is now preferred to proactive football it seems.

1 minute ago, chinapig said:

Dean has effectively publicly stated that it is indeed our plan to sit on a lead. 

It's a way of playing but it suggests that Lee got more out of meeting Mourinho than meeting Guardiola. Reactive is now preferred to proactive football it seems.

Maybe better for Holden to not talk. He is the worst of the three by a long way 

1 minute ago, chinapig said:

lets hope he goes the same way and that some fresh air arrives like at Man U.........same players but the game simplified as it should be and not drowned in a sea of laptop info.

30 minutes ago, hodge said:

The title of the interview with Dean Holden on the club website, referring to the Brentford game we shouldn't have been looking to see the game out we should have been looking for a 2nd goal. 'It was a lack of concentration and focus for 15 seconds or so while the ball was out of play. Within a couple of seconds of the ball being back on the pitch, Neal Maupay has put the ball in the back of our net; it’s fine margins.' 

You are never going to eliminate lapses in concentration, players are human.

It would matter less though if we were, say, 2-0 up at the time, as opposed to having elected to settle for 1-0 and hope nobody makes a mistake.

4 minutes ago, Bri Stool City said:

lets hope he goes the same way and that some fresh air arrives like at Man U.........same players but the game simplified as it should be and not drowned in a sea of laptop info.

I'm not sure Mourinho was ever much of a laptop manager. Indeed it is said he coached defending only and left his forwards to work things out for themselves.

The problem is he persists in believing that the route to success lies in letting the opposition have the ball, playing a 'low block' and waiting for them to make mistakes.

5 minutes ago, cityloyal473 said:

Shows a complete lack of ambition if that's what was said.  

They should be coming out with things like 'we need to work to kill teams off', 'start brightly', 'go for the jugular'. No ambition. Boring

Perfect chance with Rotherham/Bolton coming up at home, do your home work yes, but let them worry about us ffs ...nothings gonna change is it until the man changes things and his plan....hell will freeze over first

8 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

In stark contest to Dean Smith at Villa the other day who said something along the lines of “I don’t care if we’re one up or 4 up, we must always go the jugular!”  

I liked that a lot. 

Perhaps, though it's easier to say that with the galaxy of expensive forwards, and the somewhat ropey defence, he has at his disposal.

24 minutes ago, chinapig said:

You are never going to eliminate lapses in concentration, players are human.

It would matter less though if we were, say, 2-0 up at the time, as opposed to having elected to settle for 1-0 and hope nobody makes a mistake.

Not disagreeing with this, but a gentle reminder of the Wolves home game last season, where pushing forward for the second goal arguably cost us not just 2 points but all 3.

Just now, bcfcredandwhite said:

Not disagreeing with this, but a gentle reminder of the Wolves home game last season, where pushing forward for the second goal arguably cost us not just 2 points but all 3.

Of course it's a question of balance. I said in another thread that I used to regard LJ as too gung-ho, and your example is a good one, but now he has swung to the other extreme.

38 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

In stark contest to Dean Smith at Villa the other day who said something along the lines of “I don’t care if we’re one up or 4 up, we must always go the jugular!”  

I liked that a lot. 

All well and lovely but LJ did this in the past and we lost lots of points because of it.

He always attacked , never sat back on a lead and threw on forwards as substitutes.

Seems to have gone the other way now . 

He must find the balance .

54 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

Funny you should raise that

At the Forum somebody mentioned the Wolves game and asked LJ why he kept Flint up top when we went ahead

In fairness LJ answered honestly and said that having the momentum he wanted to get a second and conceded that in hindsight he maybe got ‘greedy’

Was that moment significant in LJs mindset ?

49 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

I see that game as a little different , it is risk and reward and LJ did throw the dice a little but 2 things snapped the game. LJ had thrown Flint up front and should have gone back to the starting line up as soon as we got the goal. We were dominating the game but they were very dangerous on the break. Caused us a few problems already but he didn't heed the warnings. Then Frankie , he could have let them score and we were so much on top I still think we would have won 11 Vs 10. Plus we were playing the runaway leaders. 10 Vs 10 was the only time in the game I didn't feel we would get something.
It is all a balance as others have said, but at the moment from an entertainment perspective, it's the worst thing that can happen , us scoring. We then try and hold on for however many minutes.

10 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Funny you should raise that

At the Forum somebody mentioned the Wolves game and asked LJ why he kept Flint up top when we went ahead

In fairness LJ answered honestly and said that having the momentum he wanted to get a second and conceded that in hindsight he maybe got ‘greedy’

Was that moment significant in LJs mindset ?

A big generalisation, but that could explain a lot of our football since that particular game.

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

I liked that a lot. 

Or Warnock in the dressing room on that Blades documentary...”You’ve got to die for the three points...”

Archived