IGNORED

Perhaps Our Biggest Weakness

Negan

I was going to post this after our televised Norwich game but never got around to it and I’ve just this moment rembered. Not living in Bristol and it being a late kick off I couldn’t go so watched it on sky. Early on in the game one of the commentators said something which I’m sure all of us know, it was along the lines of “Bristol City will enjoy this type of game more as Norwich want to play for 3 points, they have struggled over the past few seasons when teams come to Ashton Gate and sit back”. Now we all know this to be true, a lot of teams come to our ground, sit in deep and counter us, that’s not unusual of course, it’s a common away team tactic, so why is it we struggle so much to beat those sort of teams? 

It’s ok when a team like Norwich come to our place and want to play football, we can then play to our strengths more, but then we’re playing a team coming for the win, which in turn proves just as difficult as one who sits back and counters.

It’s been great to see our defence this season has been a lot harder to get through, joint 2nd best in the division? So surely we can be more risky going forward when playing a team that is coming for a point? 

This isn’t a massive problem imo, but one that’s stopping us really pushing on. The teams that finish top 6 and earn promotions are the ones who eventually break down those who are happy to defend for 90 minutes. I’d like to think within the next 12 months Johnson can get that last little bit of quality we need in order to be one of those teams. 

Is this a problem that money can fix? Or is it all in the coaching? 

O'Dowda and Eliasson at home v bottom half sides who will sit deep is still something I'd quite like to see. Think that may help, but it has to be the right sort of wing play- not so much of the traditional out to the byline.

OR- We could adopt a more conservative game at home, like Birmingham under Monk, and look to counter sides on their mistakes. Various ones might take the bait.

Good point and 1 we have covered in many different topics in different ways... The big thing for me that has changed from the 1st half of last season is that we started with fast press and caught lots of teams out which is great if your injury free and have depth which both we didn't and it showed. Leeds also started with this approach and even they are having a blip with injuries etc and may find themselves short with all their money spent. This season we've adapted well with new players adapting to a completely new set up which has taken time to gel but we are getting there bit by bit. The one thing that has frustrated me is when we've had teams like Millwall, Preston, Rotherham etc we set up like for like which keeps it tight when I think LJ needs to be more attack minded. We've showed we can complete with the likes of Norwich, Blackburn, Sheff Utd and Forest we just need to be brave and play to our strengths. Bottom line is LJ is still learning and maybe NY will see a different City at home and has a plan for the run in with a fresh squad and hopefully 1 or 2 new additions.... Hopefully Eisa and co get a good run tommorow as confidence is key in any game.... I'm going 4nil again COYR

Archived