IGNORED

Bristol City v Huddersfield Town FA Cup Match Day

Septic Peg

A good team performance today, first half passing was exceptional and we seemed to control the game and deal with everything, despite the officials reinventing the offside rules, Morrel a blast of fresh air, hope to see a lot more of him!

Once again one midfield player ran about like crazy, drawing defenders but fell away under pressure wasting ALL of some very good attack possibilities he was involved with!  Please please please sign an attacking midfielder with strength and confidence.

josh Cruyff-brownhill.was brilliant to watch in s24. first time ive seen the move live.

thoroughly enjoyed the game,hunt left exposed at right back a bit first half til o dowda came over and helped out. wasn't hunts fault,he couldn't mark 2 at once.

should eliasson have been there more? other than that,defence was brilliant and maenpaa looks so composed.

unlike a few earlier posts,i thought fammy worked really hard winning most of the balls hit at him.  was a bit miffed at bailey-wright getting mom as I thought webster was better and brownhill superb.pato looked ok and sharp. 

its easy to see how a game like that can be misread listening to radio or watching a stream,overall I thought it was a good solid performance against a team that couldn't shoot straight,other than that,huddersfield weren't that bad. didn't want the win as much as city,that was plain to see but they were ok.

Alright performance, some lacklustre passing at times and I feel we missed packs presence in centre mid to tick things over. 

Still not totally convinced about Jay Da Silva defensively but we were solid overall, Webster was superb and should have been motm imo. 

Brownhill had a very good game, not just the goal but his work rate was top notch. Eliasson is much, much better on the left, as is O'dowda, hence why we shouldn't pick them both. 

I thought fam was good today as well, constantly manhandled and grappled by their 25 but he kept on going and put in a good shift. 

Here's hoping for a decent draw in the fourth round... 

31 minutes ago, pillred said:

Unless Gary is about 150 no, we had a run of 14 in 1905 so I have since been informed.

I think it was under John Ward. We won 15 back to back - equalling our own 1905 record, which we share with Manchester United, Preston and Charlton I believe. Possibly Sunderland too. 

Im sure someone will google it and correct me if I’m wrong!!!!

EDIT

googled it myself. Man City beat it last season with 17. 

8 hours ago, JBFC II said:

Alright performance, some lacklustre passing at times and I feel we missed packs presence in centre mid to tick things over. 

Still not totally convinced about Jay Da Silva defensively but we were solid overall, Webster was superb and should have been motm imo. 

Brownhill had a very good game, not just the goal but his work rate was top notch. Eliasson is much, much better on the left, as is O'dowda, hence why we shouldn't pick them both. 

I thought fam was good today as well, constantly manhandled and grappled by their 25 but he kept on going and put in a good shift. 

Here's hoping for a decent draw in the fourth round... 

Agree with most of that. The game looked like 5:30 on an afternoon sort of game, odd time and lost that little edge because of it.
I said elsewhere, LJ seems to play Kelly when he feels we need to be more solid and DaSilva when there could be opportunities to get forward, I wouldn't be surprised to see DaSilva in that LMF role Bryan played sometimes last year.
The one thing I'd pick up on is playing Eliasson and O’Dowda together. I'm not the only one who'd like to see ODowda in the 10/AMF role, I think he has more overall presence that Paterson. Play Watkins on the right, while I'm not his biggest fan it would add balance and cover for Hunt. If you're going to play 2 wide men, I'm not unhappy to see ODowda on the right. Looks happy to go either way when he's running at players, and he's more likely to get a goal when he cuts inside.

Not the most exciting game on a cold Jan evening. But we looked comfortable most of the game. Sure, they had a couple of half chances, but so did we. They hardly pressed us meaning we could just knock it around at the back  almost at our leisure. Seems to be our style these days. I don't like it much, as it gives the opposition time to regroup, but as results show, it's working. Uped the pace a bit second half and a quality turn and shot from JB produced an excellent winning goal. If we keep getting good results then perhaps LJ has found our identity for this season, not as pretty as last year, but certainly effective. 

18 hours ago, cityexile said:

Bristol City manager Lee Johnson: "I'm very proud of the team. We put in a controlled performance and were composed. Huddersfield are a great side on the ball. We had the lions' share of possession - not a mean feat against a Premier League team.

"We had a bug - about seven or eight players were not well in the last 48 hours. Brownhill's goal got us in the hat. Adam Webster was great too today.

"Young Joe Morrell had his first start - he's an academy product.

"We are the underdog against the Premier League side. We have a young group on their way up. Last year we beat four en route to the League Cup semi.

"We look forward to the draw. We like playing at home in the FA Cup but ideally you want a big high-profile game at home."

Comments about a ‘bug’ might possibly explain why some did not get a start.

I wonder what the team would have been if players weren't suffering from a bug. 

16 hours ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

I think it was under John Ward. We won 15 back to back - equalling our own 1905 record, which we share with Manchester United, Preston and Charlton I believe. Possibly Sunderland too. 

EDIT

Johnny Come Latelies

29 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

...... new kid in town.....

thanks Major - now i’ll Have Don Henley and the boys on the brain all night with that earworm!!!! ?

At least I`ve had Steve Earle and ` When Johnny come lately comes marching home with a fistful of medals and a GI loan` so marginally better!

19 hours ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

EDIT

Are you sure? I think our record is still 14 straight wins in the league (Sept to Dec 1905)....a joint league record until Man City beat it in 2017...

21 hours ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

EDIT

We didn’t win 15 in a row under John Ward.....

6 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

Fair enough - I was going from memory not google :)

I was going from memory too mate...not google....we all got ridiculously excited when we got near to the record under Danny Wilson....it all imploded after 11 straight wins, so if we’d got close or beat it under John Ward, as you claim, then south Bristol would have erupted....it didn’t happen...

On 05/01/2019 at 20:59, JamesBCFC said:

Huddersfield now lost 9 in a row.

Assuming he's still there for the next game, can we put to bed the "any manager other than LJ would have been sacked for losing 9 in a row"?

I think that was a bit of a daft generalisation to be fair although I do think LJ is far more protected than the vast majority of managers. As for Wagner, I think he has credit with their board because of what he has delivered. He still has a pretty shit squad to work with so they must surely stick with him when the inevitable happens and they are back in the Champ next season.

5 hours ago, Loon plage said:

I think that was a bit of a daft generalisation to be fair although I do think LJ is far more protected than the vast majority of managers. As for Wagner, I think he has credit with their board because of what he has delivered. He still has a pretty shit squad to work with so they must surely stick with him when the inevitable happens and they are back in the Champ next season.

That's the point I was making

Lansdown is more patient managers than most, but there was still a meeting about LJ possibly being sacked during his first bad run.

Personally I'm glad SL doesn't decide to give up on the manager as soon as things start to get tough, and he's actually been pretty consistent with when managers have been sacked, GJ being the exception to the rule.

Under Ward we won 3, then drew, then won 9. So it was 12 wins and a draw out of 13, but only 9 in a row. The draw was 0-0 away to Walsall, and the run ended on Boxing Day with a 1-0 defeat away to Fulham. That run took us from 17th to 1st, and we were still 1st with one game to go, but lost the title with a defeat away to Preston. In the final few months of the season we lost the spine of the team, Welch, Taylor, Edwards, Goater.

Archived