IGNORED

Bristol City v Huddersfield Town FA Cup Match Day

Septic Peg

Decent result from a decent, but not outstanding performance.

First half was very dull with little in it, Huddersfield pressing our defence high when we passed in around the back, but brought players back very quickly when we moved forward.

Second half more open and the result was a fair one IMO.

Hamer probably should have done better for the goal, but Brownhill put in a good shot.

9 unbeaten, 5 wins, 4 draws.

Onto the next one.

Bristol City manager Lee Johnson: "I'm very proud of the team. We put in a controlled performance and were composed. Huddersfield are a great side on the ball. We had the lions' share of possession - not a mean feat against a Premier League team.

"We had a bug - about seven or eight players were not well in the last 48 hours. Brownhill's goal got us in the hat. Adam Webster was great too today.

"Young Joe Morrell had his first start - he's an academy product.

"We are the underdog against the Premier League side. We have a young group on their way up. Last year we beat four en route to the League Cup semi.

"We look forward to the draw. We like playing at home in the FA Cup but ideally you want a big high-profile game at home."

Comments about a ‘bug’ might possibly explain why some did not get a start.

39 minutes ago, cityexile said:

Might be my memory, but have half a recollection of going to Sheff Wed to match some record or other, and losing very late on. Can not remember what it was however!

I remember that....it was in Feb 2004 under Danny Wilson....it would have been our 12th straight league win...I think we were getting excited about getting near the 14 straight league wins record....but we lost 1-0 so it didn’t matter. I stayed in Chesterfield that night....cracking night out!

2 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

Thought he went about things quietly, neat and tidy and didn't show out. Thought we would be lightweight but they did well, Josh starting to step up, it was only when Pritchard came on that Huddersfield got a foothold in the game.

He also spoke very well in the post match interview.

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I remember that....it was in Feb 2004 under Danny Wilson....it would have been our 12th straight league win...I think we were getting excited about getting near the 14 straight league wins record....but we lost 1-0 so it didn’t matter. I stayed in Chesterfield that night....cracking night out!

I went to that one, such a great build up to the match - ace pubs and ace beer on the way to the stadium. Biggest away attendance I’ve been to. Then it all went wrong with defeat - goal going in really late in the game. It all kicked after the match on the walk back to to my mates house who lived there. We had to hide in someone’s front garden as morons charged at each other down the street. Cracking night out in The a Leadmill after all that unpleasantness (which I’m pretty sure was started by some of our sub-humans). 

And yep, Danny Wilson was Manager, ending that season in Cardiff and defeat vs Brighton in the playoffs. 

6 minutes ago, LilRascal said:

I went to that one, such a great build up to the match - ace pubs and ace beer on the way to the stadium. Biggest away attendance I’ve been to. Then it all went wrong with defeat - goal going in really late in the game. It all kicked after the match on the walk back to to my mates house who lived there. We had to hide in someone’s front garden as morons charged at each other down the street. Cracking night out in The a Leadmill after all that unpleasantness (which I’m pretty sure was started by some of our sub-humans). 

And yep, Danny Wilson was Manager, ending that season in Cardiff and defeat vs Brighton in the playoffs. 

Yep, there was some serious disorder after that game.....I even saw a police horse, with cop on top, gallop through the door and into a betting shop where it was going off. Surreal!

You can imagine that the Huddersfield fans aren't too impressed with this evening's performance and result but this comment on their forum made me laugh:

Chins up lads, I've been dreaming about what it feels like to be the victim of a Premier League giant-killing for years. Our stay in the top flight wouldn't have been complete without it.

Really pleased the boys have delivered for me today.

1 hour ago, JamesBCFC said:

Huddersfield now lost 9 in a row.

Assuming he's still there for the next game, can we put to bed the "any manager other than LJ would have been sacked for losing 9 in a row"?

Not really a good comparison though, He got them promoted to the Premier League.

12 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Yep, there was some serious disorder after that game.....I even saw a police horse, with cop on top, gallop through the door and into a betting shop where it was going off. Surreal!

At which point the horse was hear to shout at the terrified cashier 

‘ Why the hell have you got me down as a 25-1 outsider ‘ 

Just now, Carey 6 said:

Not really a good comparison though, He got them promoted to the Premier League.

He's won 2 games all season (unless they won in the League Cup, genuinely don't know) and drawn 4.

It's now January.

If by January we had scored just 13 goals (plus any League Cup ones) and won twice then even I would be calling for LJ to go.

Archived