IGNORED

Steve Lansdown to speak on BBC Points west

Never to the dark side

7 minutes ago, Fiale said:

Is this about the new development at AG maybe ? Not sure what else the BBC would want him on for.

It’s (at least in part) about the Rugby.

BBC Breakfast played a snippet this morning where SL was favouring a “closed shop” in the rugby premiership, and every three years the top championship side could play the bottom prem side in a one off playoff and if they were financially/facilities set up, could be promoted.

Of course, the issue here is that the championship would fall so far behind chances of a side breaking through are markedly reduced.

In the context of football here, Steve and Bristol RFC are the equivalent of Phil Gartside and Bolton. Wonder what SL’s opinion would be if Vincent Tan and Dean Hoyle made a similar proposition in respect of the EPL currently?

Wrong - just wrong.

46 minutes ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

I don't get this constant obsession with 'growing' a sport. I love rugby but it is fiendishly complicated in terms of rules, and has never been and never will be a mass viewing sport as a result. In England rugby is also a regional sport (SW, London, Mids predominantly), probably restricting interest outside these areas.throw in League having a hold of the north too.

As for ringfencing, I'm instinctively against this and the only benefit would be in Europe with players rested more, and to a lesser degree with England. Every 'established' Prem team that has been relegated in recent times hasn't faded away post relegation, and a number have rebuilt and gone onto greater success. It's a self interested red herring IMO.

And I'm both a BCFC and Glawster fan.

4 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

BBC Breakfast played a snippet this morning where SL was favouring a “closed shop” in the rugby premiership, and every three years the top championship side could play the bottom prem side in a one off playoff and if they were financially/facilities set up, could be promoted.

Of course, the issue here is that the championship would fall so far behind chances of a side breaking through are markedly reduced.

In the context of football here, Steve and Bristol RFC are the equivalent of Phil Gartside and Bolton. Wonder what SL’s opinion would be if Vincent Tan and Dean Hoyle made a similar proposition in respect of the EPL currently?

Wrong - just wrong.

Agree.  Proposing a closed shop the season after getting promotion is not a good look Steve.

4 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Wrong - just wrong.

But, it's "Ealing Trailfinders" being shut out in rugby, or Bedford or Jersey, whereas Bolton were hoping to shut out football clubs with decades of tradition, and tens, hundreds, of thousands of supporters.

As long as Steve steers clear of any football meddling/gerrymandering, he can do what he likes amongst the rotten egg chasers, afaic. 

I like a bit of rugby. Not overly bothered about it however but I watch a bit.

On this though, ring-fencing- it doesn't sit well with me.

I can see the argument to an extent, but Leeds/Yorkshire you would think have definite top flight potential. Ealing are moving to a new ground, West London quite posh probably quite a liking for Rugby Union- quite a good side on the pitch too or were until they lost quite a few in the summer, in 5-10 years who is to say they couldn't be a yoyo club. Quite ambitious owners too- same goes for Cornish Pasties Pirates, Nottingham I read are vehemently opposed and I am sure there are one or two more- Bedford perhaps?

25 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Ironic if he gets his way..................just after the Bears are relegated !

Bristol would almost 100% be part of a ring fenced league, no matter what league they were in when it is (because it definitely will be in the mid to near future) brought in.

Ring fencing is wrong and will lead to totally meaningless matches for most of the season in the bottom half of the Premiership and also in the Rugby Championship as winning will be almost meaningless.

It is a sport and should allow anyone and any club to improve their status.

Imagine how dull many aspects of life, business and sport would be if all the leaders in each field were ring fenced!

10 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Ring fencing is wrong and will lead to totally meaningless matches for most of the season in the bottom half of the Premiership and also in the Rugby Championship as winning will be almost meaningless.

It is a sport and should allow anyone and any club to improve their status.

Imagine how dull many aspects of life, business and sport would be if all the leaders in each field were ring fenced!

Odd isn't how people who believe in the free market sometimes want to introduce anti-competitive practices when it suits them?

1 hour ago, JasonM88 said:

Bristol would almost 100% be part of a ring fenced league, no matter what league they were in when it is (because it definitely will be in the mid to near future) brought in.

Don't kid yourself on that one. Should we be in the Championship when it began, the twelve clubs in the Premiership would say " Thank goodness it's Bristol and not us!"

• Admin
14 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Don't kid yourself on that one. Should we be in the Championship when it began, the twelve clubs in the Premiership would say " Thank goodness it's Bristol and not us!"

Remember who the top table committee were last season who had all the voting rights etc. The 12 premier sides +1 in the championship. 

The RFU and other teams were only waiting for Bristol to get promoted before putting the wheels in motion 

5 hours ago, Shtanley said:

Worrying, he wants games played in china and the US? Wrong

I’m sure the American’s felt the same about NFL but people are seeing how successful it has been abroad.

It’s massive - sells Wembley out in no time.

I flew from Germany to the UK the day before a game and it was virtually full of Germans in NFL kits coming to London.

They want a piece of that pie.

Could not give a monkeys about rugby, the rules are stupid and when I had to play at school I flat refused to put my head close to another boys bum so the scrum was a no no!

So SL tells the world he wants to create an elite which includes bristol rugby in their promotion year and he wants Leeds to get a points deduction!  Is it just me or am I alone in thinking  Mark Ashton is being put right on the spot, where should is his loyalty be?  Not one of SL’s best days! Bloody embarrassing!

looking at the decoration inside the concourses I wonder where the priorities actually are and which game SL sees as the best long term investment, we do have a great stadium - thanks Steve-  which I presume will be further developed soon with the Atteo replaced, probably two tiered and more than double the current capacity. 

Archived