IGNORED

Keeping it Simple, Blocks of 10

Port Said Red

I know someone has some fantastic graphs on another thread that show our progress and match it up to last season, but I keep going back to the legacy that Johnson sr left us and the blocks of 10 approach to the season.

As may remember he was looking for 17pts average from each block of ten to make the play offs. So far this season we have performed like this.

First 10 games 15pts , not bad, we looked on course for 17 but lost away to West Brom and Wigan and drew at home to Villa, in the last 3 games.

Second 10 was a bit of disaster, including our 4 defeats in a row which put this board in a tailspin and we only got 11pts from these games,

The end of that spell was the beginning of our unbeaten run though and led in this latest run.

So far we are 8 games into this block of 10 and have 18pts already, looked at in isolation we could afford to lose the next two games, nut if we could win them then we would make up for the second 10 block. 
I would like to think 4 points are within our capabilities, but who knows what momentum can do for us. 

On 19/01/2019 at 17:34, Port Said Red said:

I know someone has some fantastic graphs on another thread that show our progress and match it up to last season, but I keep going back to the legacy that Johnson sr left us and the blocks of 10 approach to the season.

As may remember he was looking for 17pts average from each block of ten to make the play offs. So far this season we have performed like this.

First 10 games 15pts , not bad, we looked on course for 17 but lost away to West Brom and Wigan and drew at home to Villa, in the last 3 games.

Second 10 was a bit of disaster, including our 4 defeats in a row which put this board in a tailspin and we only got 11pts from these games,

The end of that spell was the beginning of our unbeaten run though and led in this latest run.

So far we are 8 games into this block of 10 and have 18pts already, looked at in isolation we could afford to lose the next two games,but if we could win them then we would make up for the second 10 block. 
I would like to think 4 points are within our capabilities, but who knows what momentum can do for us. 

21 points from nine it is then, a very good block even if the wheels come off at Blackburn, which I don't think will happen. For those looking wistfully at the automatic spots, it's worth noting that a win next Saturday would still leave us 1 point behind the average required for the play offs. The level of performance required to make up a 10 point deficit is beyond anything we have achieved so far.

5 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

21 points from nine it is then, a very good block even if the wheels come off at Blackburn, which I don't think will happen. For those looking wistfully at the automatic spots, it's worth noting that a win next Saturday would still leave us 1 point behind the average required for the play offs. The level of performance required to make up a 10 point deficit is beyond anything we have achieved so far.

I wouldnt say 78 is the average needed for the play offs, more like 75 which is what we are bang on course for hence being in a play off spot.

I do agree the autos are extremely unlikely but its 7 points if we win the game in hand

Who knows what toll the pressure will have on those above us, we are the form team in this division and have momentum. West Brom & Leeds both lost at home yesterday to rivals, Blackburn got a bit of a hiding yesterday. Derby are stuttering also.

Anything can happen in the next 14/15 games but I am enjoying watching us play at the moment, there is an element of steel, strength and togetherness as well as belief this season 

Enjoy the ride and who knows 

35 minutes ago, INCRED said:

Who knows what toll the pressure will have on those above us, we are the form team in this division and have momentum. West Brom & Leeds both lost at home yesterday to rivals, Blackburn got a bit of a hiding yesterday. Derby are stuttering also.

Anything can happen in the next 14/15 games but I am enjoying watching us play at the moment, there is an element of steel, strength and togetherness as well as belief this season 

Enjoy the ride and who knows 

It’s an interesting point, and it could be applied to us if we consider that the play offs were the target. We are now in a position to be shot at not the chasing horse. The pressure is different and I think it will be handy to have a player like Kalas around who has been through this a couple of times before.

I know it’s a bit negative but I thought yesterday was a “must not lose” game.  With Derby drawing, we knew a win would take us into the top six, but I feared Swansea’s passing would frustrate us and we might chase a game and lose on the break....and it would be a case of “City bottle-job”.

I needn’t have worried.

I thought we looked massively focussed in the warm-up, everyone looked up for the game...there was no going through the motions warm up.

And at the end, a real sense of togetherness.

19 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I know it’s a bit negative but I thought yesterday was a “must not lose” game.  With Derby drawing, we knew a win would take us into the top six, but I feared Swansea’s passing would frustrate us and we might chase a game and lose on the break....and it would be a case of “City bottle-job”.

I needn’t have worried.

I thought we looked massively focussed in the warm-up, everyone looked up for the game...there was no going through the motions warm up.

And at the end, a real sense of togetherness.

Someone in my area said before kick off “this is the sort of game we lose, just when fans turn up in numbers”. It does seem a good point, but I have always thought that it is partly down to the Bristol public taking so long to be stirred up. But I totally agree with you and the poster who mentioned a “methodical approach”. We looked prepared, determined and nothing phased us. I don’t think I have seen such a professional job by a City team at this level. 

I do love the fact that when teams get to the edge of our box, the only signs of panic are in the crowd, and even those are starting to fade to the background.

3 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I do love the fact that when teams get to the edge of our box, the only signs of panic are in the crowd, and even those are starting to fade to the background.

I panic when the opposition get in our half.  By the same token i am convinced we are going to score when we go into the opposition half.  I ride a roller coaster of emotions and I love it.

On 19/01/2019 at 17:34, Port Said Red said:

So far we are 8 games into this block of 10 and have 18pts already, looked at in isolation we could afford to lose the next two games, nut if we could win them then we would make up for the second 10 block. 

4 points from the next two games would leave us 1 point lower than at the same point last season.

After 31 games we were 6th on 52 points. Let's hope the momentum can keep us up there this time.

19 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

4 points from the next two games would leave us 1 point lower than at the same point last season.

After 31 games we were 6th on 52 points. Let's hope the momentum can keep us up there this time.

Yes we have much greater momentum compared to last season, we only picked up 4 points in the whole of January (I was surprised it was that many) and got knocked out of both cups. A huge difference for sure.

7 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Not necessarily.

We have a game in hand over the top 2 and still need to play them both.

It could conceivably be a 4 point gap to either one of Norwich or Leeds, or both, which would be catchable at our current rate and even a little below it I think.

That said, I think autos are beyond us, and think we will finish about 8th-10th

41 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

Yep......but this season we don’t t have the distraction of an impressive cup run - unless we progress into the 6th rd of the FA cup...

54 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

I think we only won 3 of our last 13 games last season so we can definitely better that!

42 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Yep......but this season we don’t t have the distraction of an impressive cup run - unless we progress into the 6th rd of the FA cup...

I would call round 5 FA Cup, beating a PL side and beating a peer impressive even if we lose the next round. You would probably only congratulate Rovers for beating a division above and someone in their own division..

8 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

I wouldnt say 78 is the average needed for the play offs, more like 75 which is what we are bang on course for hence being in a play off spot.

I do agree the autos are extremely unlikely but its 7 points if we win the game in hand

....with all the other 5 teams to play.....................and beat 1-0.

48 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Wtf are you on about...............:facepalm:

When the troll gets trolled he cries under a bridge...

Start a Holloway thread; you’ll feel better. 

We finished block 

On 03/02/2019 at 10:52, Port Said Red said:

We ended up with 24 points from "block 3" and so far (perhaps surprisingly) we have 11 from 8 in "block 4". If we could consolidate this week with 2 home wins now, we would actually be back on track. After 38 games we are only 3.6 points off the fabled 1.7 per game target. 

Archived