IGNORED

Hudson-Odoi

RoystonFoote'snephew

32 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I’ve worked in organisations that support people in mass debt. It happens for loads of reasons. Three examples:

1) a professional on a decent but unspectacular salary with a family whose wife, then in full time work, was diagnosed with a severe mental illness and admitted to hospital for a month, and has not been well enough to work for over a decade. Now trying to raise a family on one salary, meet rent and bills etc in a society where rents are calculated on the basis both will be working.

2) A former British army soldier from a Commonwealth country who experienced appalling delays of over a year getting his right to remain sorted when he left the army. The result was he could not work during that time and built up a year’s worth of bills and rent as debt.

3) A very well paid senior manager who, just after buying a new house, was made unexpectedly made redundant and could not find anything on anywhere near the same salary. His mortgage was based on his previous salary along with his wife’s salary and, after his marriage broke up through the stress, he got into mounting debt problems.

These are three examples but the fact is all of us - save perhaps a small minority with wealthy parents who can bail them out of any eventuality - are only a bit of bad luck and a few miscalculations away from real financial peril. Savings get eaten through quicker than you think and anyone can find themselves with mass debt. You would do well to remember that so you don’t blame yourself should it ever happen to you.

It won't happen to me because I've been in full time work since I was 16. Now 34. Worked my ass party hard but saved hard when young. Married with two kids and bought own house when 19. 

I don't drive posh cars or wear expensive clothes or shop at Waitrose. 

Life choices. It's simple. 

11 minutes ago, Spoons said:

It won't happen to me because I've been in full time work since I was 16. Now 34. Worked my ass party hard but saved hard when young. Married with two kids and bought own house when 19. 

Well done. It is admirable what you have achieved and I sincerely hope that you continue to prosper. However no one knows what is just around the corner in their lives which can make things go very badly wrong and cause unexpected hardship and dept. 

Stroke , car accident causing severe disability, relying on social security as unable to work. Unexpected relationship breakdown turning life on its head. Mental illness, depression causing deep emotional problems which most of us are fortunate to know nothing about. That is just three examples of what might happen to any of us at just about any time. 

It’s not all about life choices. 

24 minutes ago, Spoons said:

You would be amazed how many people we worked with would have said exactly what you have said there. There is absolutely nothing in what you have said that means it will not happen to you. I hope it does not but, a small run of bad luck, and it very easily could.

11 minutes ago, aa_bcfc said:

Well done. It is admirable what you have achieved and I sincerely hope that you continue to prosper. However no one knows what is just around the corner in their lives which can make things go very badly wrong and cause unexpected hardship and dept. 

Stroke , car accident causing severe disability, relying on social security as unable to work. Unexpected relationship breakdown turning life on its head. Mental illness, depression causing deep emotional problems which most of us are fortunate to know nothing about. That is just three examples of what might happen to any of us at just about any time. 

It’s not all about life choices. 

Totally agree with this post, I made life choices to build my own home & pay it off, which I did. Managed to save a good amount THEN the unforseen that you mention happened, unable to work through injury I haven't had a wage for 20+yrs & now a pensioner just getting by. I'm glad I made those decisions but life can change so quickly.

17 hours ago, Kashmir said:

Don’t be disdgusted before you know why he’s rejecting it. By all accounts he wants to leave to find first team football which he won’t find at Chelsea. I’d say that’s a breath of fresh air in football, especially from a lad so young.

I don’t blame him, he’s seen his peers stagnate in the U23s or be loaned out numerous times. 

I think it does them well to go abroad, Sancho has flourished at Dortmund and got an England call up, no reason why Odoi can’t do the same

It will be good for England if these youngsters go and play for top European clubs rather than warming the bench and getting the odd game in the cup or Prem

1 hour ago, JBFC II said:

So you think it's right that Chelsea are offering an 18 year old £85000 a year to play for them? 

Whether football is an entertainment industry or not is irrelevant, it's still way to much money for an 18 year old, or for anyone for that matter

I don’t think it’s right, unless it goes into some sort of a Trust Fund where they can’t touch it for a few years and only can have a modest allowance in the meantime. Enough to buy or rent a house maybe as having this teaches you responsibility and budgeting, hopefully.

But to be offered £85,000 that must be the going rate, eg some other clubs must offer similar sums. Chelsea as people have said are competing in this business, they have to pay if they want these youngsters or other clubs will grab them. It’s only like what the big supermarkets used to do when they were landbanking. 

17 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Reports suggest that 18 year old Hudson-Odoi is set to reject an offer from Chelsea of £85,000 per week. 

The football world grows madder by the day. I don’t know about you but at 18 I earned £1,500 per year. At no point in my working life did I earn in a year half of what he’s been offered per week. 

I honestly don’t know if I’m more disgusted by his rejection of such a weekly wage or by Chelsea even offering such an amount to an 18 year old. 

Maybe at 18 you weren't on the verge of joining Bayern Munich.

1 hour ago, JBFC II said:

So you think it's right that Chelsea are offering an 18 year old £85000 a year to play for them? 

Whether football is an entertainment industry or not is irrelevant, it's still way to much money for an 18 year old, or for anyone for that matter

Sounds like communism where everybody gets paid the same and not what they are worth relative to their industry!

1 minute ago, hail gus cesaer said:

Sounds like communism where everybody gets paid the same and not what they are worth relative to their industry!

Not paying 18 year olds obscene amounts of money when thousands sleep rough?

Yeah, sounds like a left wing nutjob scheme to me.

1 minute ago, ZiderEyed said:

Not paying 18 year olds obscene amounts of money when thousands sleep rough?

Yeah, sounds like a left wing nutjob scheme to me.

It’s not Chelsea’s problem that people are homeless in fact I would bet ( not being a Chelsea supporter) that they and most clubs do charity work! I’ll say it again it’s not obscene to be payed what your worth wether your 18 or 75!

3 hours ago, Spoons said:

Making yourself look like an insecure **** on an Internet forum. Priceless. 

3 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

I’ve worked in organisations that support people in mass debt. It happens for loads of reasons. Three examples:

1) a professional on a decent but unspectacular salary with a family whose wife, then in full time work, was diagnosed with a severe mental illness and admitted to hospital for a month, and has not been well enough to work for over a decade. Now trying to raise a family on one salary, meet rent and bills etc in a society where rents are calculated on the basis both will be working.

2) A former British army soldier from a Commonwealth country who experienced appalling delays of over a year getting his right to remain sorted when he left the army. The result was he could not work during that time and built up a year’s worth of bills and rent as debt.

3) A very well paid senior manager who, just after buying a new house, was made unexpectedly made redundant and could not find anything on anywhere near the same salary. His mortgage was based on his previous salary along with his wife’s salary and, after his marriage broke up through the stress, he got into mounting debt problems.

These are three examples but the fact is all of us - save perhaps a small minority with wealthy parents who can bail them out of any eventuality - are only a bit of bad luck and a few miscalculations away from real financial peril. Savings get eaten through quicker than you think and anyone can find themselves with mass debt. You would do well to remember that so you don’t blame yourself should it ever happen to you.

My career was spent in financial services  and for a good part of that I was dealing with customers/clients with financial problems.

You are absolutely right in saying that many people get into financial problems for reasons beyond their control. However, for all the cases such as you outline , there were as many, if not more, where people got themselves into difficulty because they lived beyond their means, wanted everything today and wanted to live a lifestyle of friends who had better incomes and/or managed their money better.

Interestingly, the people who got into problems through factors beyond their control -redundancy, health, etc - were often the ones that tried their hardest to resolve their problems. The wasters, who got into problems by living beyond their means, were often the worst for blaming everyone else for their difficulties and also wanting someone esle to find a quick and easy  solution.

In the early 2000s boom, this group were the ones constantly re-mortgaging to clear loan and credit card debt racked up through overspending, but would rarely listen to my advice that they needed to change their financial lifestyle if they were to avoid getting into the same difficulties again in the future.

It's too easy to put everyone into the same bracket when addressing the reasons why people get into debt beyond their means.

1 minute ago, downendcity said:

My career was spent in financial services  and for a good part of that I was dealing with customers/clients with financial problems.

You are absolutely right in saying that many people get into financial problems for reasons beyond their control. However, for all the cases such as you outline , there were as many, if not more, where people got themselves into difficulty because they lived beyond their means, wanted everything today and wanted to live a lifestyle of friends who had better incomes and/or managed their money better.

Interestingly, the people who got into problems through factors beyond their control -redundancy, health, etc - were often the ones that tried their hardest to resolve their problems. The wasters, who got into problems by living beyond their means, were often the worst for blaming everyone else for their difficulties and also wanting someone esle to find a quick and easy  solution.

In the early 2000s boom, this group were the ones constantly re-mortgaging to clear loan and credit card debt racked up through overspending, but would rarely listen to my advice that they needed to change their financial lifestyle if they were to avoid getting into the same difficulties again in the future.

It's too easy to put everyone into the same bracket when addressing the reasons why people get into debt beyond their means.

I would not argue with you on any of that. My issue was specifically with certain posters saying that ALL people with financial problems got to that point due to feckless overspending. Of course, there are many people do and, as you say, they can sometimes be the people who find it hardest to take responsibility for their predicament but it nonetheless angers me when posters make sweeping generalisations, ignoring there might well be people reading this thread who have got into financial problems through reasons beyond their control, already feel like failures because they are struggling to support their families, and have some chump on an internet message board who knows nothing of their circumstances telling them that it must be their fault. 

4 hours ago, JBFC II said:

I understand your sentiment and, to a certain extent, agree with it.

I would just like to correct you on one minor point, though.

The salary quoted is, in fact, £85000 a week.

Yes, that is correct. 

More than £4 Million a year. At 18 years old.  

3 hours ago, Spoons said:

My experience with people who've ended up in serious financial trouble is that they've often started out with this sort of view and been taken by surprise at how quickly a life changing event can ruin things.  Some things can happen to anybody.

Sure there are some who spend irresponsibly, but that is far from the only route into trouble. 

23 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I understand your sentiment and, to a certain extent, agree with it.

I would just like to correct you on one minor point, though.

The salary quoted is, in fact, £85000 a week.

Yes, that is correct. 

More than £4 Million a year. At 18 years old.  

That highlights my point even more, what 18 year old is worth £4 million pounds a year?

20 hours ago, JBFC II said:

Gross, thousands all over the country who are homeless or living in massive debt and 18 year olds are being offered 85000 pounds a week and turning it down... 

Disgusting money

If you buy a shirt, go to watch a game, pay for sky sports football or put money into football in any way shape or form then it's odd to take this stance. Football is a big money game because the demand for it is there and people pay for it. 

If Hudson-Odoi is turning down this money for the sake of progressing his career I think it's admirable. Too many footballers focus on a nice pay packet over genuinely trying to progress their career.

10 minutes ago, Spike said:

If you buy a shirt, go to watch a game, pay for sky sports football or put money into football in any way shape or form then it's odd to take this stance. Football is a big money game because the demand for it is there and people pay for it. 

If Hudson-Odoi is turning down this money for the sake of progressing his career I think it's admirable. Too many footballers focus on a nice pay packet over genuinely trying to progress their career.

It isn't though really. 

I may well spend money watching football, but I can still see how ridiculous it is that an 18 year old can be offered £4 million pounds a year to do so. Whether I'm watching the game or not, the fact that millions in our country live in desperate needs and there are teenagers being offered that to kick a football around is, in my opinion, sickening 

20 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

It isn't though really. 

I may well spend money watching football, but I can still see how ridiculous it is that an 18 year old can be offered £4 million pounds a year to do so. Whether I'm watching the game or not, the fact that millions in our country live in desperate needs and there are teenagers being offered that to kick a football around is, in my opinion, sickening 

Chelsea would have sat done and worked out the figures his worth to the team and offered him what they think is fair the going rate for his ability and potential! 

Again the inequality and homelessness isn’t football or Chelsea’s fault!

41 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

It isn't though really. 

Capitalism does indeed suck in a lot of ways but where do you think the money people are willing to pay should go other than to the players?  I guess I'd like to see clubs spending it in the community on facilities and training and stuff more than they do.  I don't want it going to agents, billionaire owners or corporate shareholders though. 

8 minutes ago, Nibor said:

Capitalism does indeed suck in a lot of ways but where do you think the money people are willing to pay should go other than to the players?  I guess I'd like to see clubs spending it in the community on facilities and training and stuff more than they do.  I don't want it going to agents, billionaire owners or corporate shareholders though. 

I think people are missing the point somewhat - if he pays tax at 40% on his salary then he is effectively funding, say, 60 nurses or 20 doctors.

Liverpool supposedly expressing interest in Hudson-Odoi, the rumour being that it'll force Chelsea into selling him to Munich instead of a league rival, Liverpool's interest being Munich are their main rivals to signing Timo Werner.

Archived