IGNORED

Phill Tottle

Mrdc

On 26/01/2019 at 12:51, BobBobSuperBob said:

I know where I was ,

at the top of a fence in the Away terrace behind the goal Ralph had floated one in , with a fair few others ( @GasDestroyer :whistle2:

the fence was struggling to cope IIRC !

Yep, we were both there @Bob Bob Super Bob .The Bath Reds had some lively away days back in those days? Best days watching the City for me. Bloody boring nowadays, but Swansea might be interesting? Will be there!

Used to listen to PT regularly if I was on a “curfew”. He was such a passionate commentator who just loved Bristol City. Met him once at a sports evening, nice guy.

On 26/01/2019 at 23:04, slartibartfast said:

After the 2-1 at Eastvile in the cup we went on a big time bender in Bristol. At about 12.30 am in Hotwells (I think) thought it would be a great idea to phone up Colin H............... and yes it was in the phone book (in the old phone box ).............Colin Howlett   Muller Rd.............had to be him !

After a couple of "ring-outs" I had a go

Mrs H.........."er hello?"

me...............Can I speak to Colin?

Mrs H............"Who's this?"

Me....................tell him it's Geoff

muffled shout

Colin..............."Hello ?"

Tout Ensemble..................One nil down, two one up, we knocked Rovers out the cup!

Colin.........."splutter, splutter, something, .....police....splutter "      :laugh:

That is brilliant, if true!

On 26/01/2019 at 21:44, Ronnie Sinclair said:

oh god I'd forgotten about Howlett, what an awful commentator - he nearly always said there was a massive away crowd in the terrace behind the goal for Rovers, yet when you saw the highlights on HTV News on the following Monday there were about two people there so was clearly BS (as it still is today)

Howlett had a son called Martin who ran with the Gas firm up a certain boozer near the old Eastville.

He was a gobby little git who fancied himself and hated Bristol City fans. He was involved in a well known ruck in town one night when a certain City lad was beaten unconscious. But as they say “elephants have good memories” Revenge did come down upon him one day. I aint putting the info on here but it was not good for him! Doubt his old man was impressed????

I know where I was ,

at the top of a fence in the Away terrace behind the goal Ralph had floated one in , with a fair few others ( @GasDestroyer :whistle2:

Terrible pitch, players struggling to stand up and he comes up with a fantastic chip.

I think that was the game a few mates turned up at half time, their coach broke down ( Beanie’s ? ), they all hopped on our train and we shared tickets. 

I know where I was ,

Was there in the stand, if I remember rightly it was pissing down, had gone to Twickenham on the Saturday to watch Bristol in the rugby, but going to York on a wet bank holiday in a van stopping at a Little Chef, seeing us win, can't beat it!

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

Terrible pitch, players struggling to stand up and he comes up with a fantastic chip.

I think that was the game a few mates turned up at half time, their coach broke down ( Beanie’s ? ), they all hopped on our train and we shared tickets. 

That’s right Mike

My memory had it as possibly as a misfit  cross!, but remember it floating in , and I’m doing him a disservice

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

That’s right Mike

My memory had it as possibly as a misfit  cross!, but remember it floating in , and I’m doing him a disservice

With my memory we could have scored from a goal kick ?

Always remembered it as the one bit of quality that day. Going to have to try and find the clip, I’m sure I’ve seen it somewhere.

Archived