IGNORED

Jamie Mc says we’ve learnt from last year....

BCFC1512

4 hours ago, JBFC II said:

Who's to say the club haven't tried to get someone in, or didn't attempt to get mitrovic last January? 

People are so quick to have a go without fully knowing the whole picture 

Erm.. our own manager made it very clear.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/lee-johnson-explains-bristol-city-1474739

4 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

What we have learnt is we performed badly in the window last year so this January  let's not bother. Even when the manager says he wants a striker.

Yeah, Johnson said he wants a striker and then decided to "not bother" and instead sit around twiddling his thumbs.

******* hell, with that kind of thinking are you even capable of using cutlery?

11 hours ago, Aaron-Bcfc said:

That he was too expensive.

According to one of City's coaches Bristol City did at least enquire about Mitrovic. Fulham were in a position to offer the player considerably more than BCFC can.

8 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

That he was too expensive.

According to one of City's coaches Bristol City did at least enquire about Mitrovic. Fulham were in a position to offer the player considerably more than BCFC can.

than BCFC would*

That fine for not playing Ryan Kent would’ve covered his wages for a month...

Didn’t have to be Mitrovic anyhow. Could’ve moved early in the window for someone like Grabban who’d have been on half as much and at that point in the season we were an extremely attractive proposition.

Would loaning someone Grabban for 4/5 months really have been too expensive?

Let’s take his reported wages of £35k a week and say he’s here for the full 5 months. That’s £760k in wages. Let’s also pretend a loan fee for £500k for the sake of it. Total outlay £1.26m, or less than the amount we paid for Eisa’s transfer fee alone - who hasn’t had a kick this season.

Personally find the clubs logic completely flawed.

8 minutes ago, Aaron-Bcfc said:

than BCFC would*

That fine for not playing Ryan Kent would’ve covered his wages for a month...

Didn’t have to be Mitrovic anyhow. 

In the case of this specific player. There was a fee and wages involved. It was all viewed as too much. 

Would could can … There have to be points were it is can't. The club (Mr Lansdown) has ceilings, strategy, budgets or they make it up as they go along.

13 hours ago, maxjak said:

But it would have been so easy to take Chelski's money and sell Semenyo.........the fact that we haven't, seems to indicate to me that things are changing. I think it's a posiitve move.  We shall see. Trying to buy success hasn't appeared to work for Villa?

Nor, indeed, for Birmingham.

They were offered the possibility yesterday of selling Che Adams to Burnley for £12M, and loaning him back for the rest of the season, but the EFL transfer embargo imposed upon them due to their previous financial 'indiscretions' prevented them from doing so.

Just imagine that: we sell Semenyo, but are unable to invest the money in a new player.

14 hours ago, kivsy said:

So if we got to the prem , we won’t sign anyone , we’ll go with what we’ve got . 

Does landsdown want prem football ? He wouldn’t want to buy established names give them a couple year contract , and certainly begrudge paying decent wages.   

I think he’s happy with a championship team , playing money ball , using terms like sustainable and hiding behind ffp. 

As my wise old man once said to me, 'if you hadn't kept buying all those players in the transfer window, you could have been as rich as Steve Lansdown son'

Probably nicked it from some old Chinese proverb

15 hours ago, Andy082005 said:

It's a vicious circle though isn't it

Sell our best players in the summer 

Rebuild

Get near the play-offs

Bottle the transfer window

Come mid-table 

Repeat.....

Exactly my thinking like last season keep players then sell them end of the season then rebuild again etc etc

57 minutes ago, stokes7 said:

Exactly my thinking like last season keep players then sell them end of the season then rebuild again etc etc

Depends on our financial position this season I'd say.

If we broke even- and it's a big if- then that helps a lot. Means there is less pressure to sell.

In theory had Reid had 2 years left on his deal maybe we could have kept him- was a bit of a perfect storm with big losses + assets with value having a year left=total necessity to sell. With the proviso that would mean a big sale in Jan or Summer 2019 and probably some other trading.

23 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Depends on our financial position this season I'd say.

If we broke even- and it's a big if- then that helps a lot. Means there is less pressure to sell.

In theory had Reid had 2 years left on his deal maybe we could have kept him- was a bit of a perfect storm with big losses + assets with value having a year left=total necessity to sell. With the proviso that would mean a big sale in Jan or Summer 2019 and probably some other trading.

....and with Flint and Bryan’s departures clearing the “loss”, Reid’s money was reinvested on Mäenpää, Hunt, Webster, Adelakun, Weimann, Eisa, Watkins and loans of Dasilva, Kalas and Palmer.  Ten players!!!

19 hours ago, JBFC II said:

Who's to say the club haven't tried to get someone in, or didn't attempt to get mitrovic last January? 

People are so quick to have a go without fully knowing the whole picture 

You can try and win the league but there is a massive difference between trying and succeeding. This league doesn't care if you're a trier, it cares about results. We could have tried to sign 100 different attacking midfielders but had we failed on all of them we wouldn't have anything to show for it. As it is we've signed Palmer and he's had an instant impact. 

The fans don't care about the whole picture, they care about results and it's a results based business. 

Now don't jump on me straight away, I'm not saying we're lacking ambition, I fully believe the ambition is there, I think what we're lacking is that final piece of the puzzle when we're so close to finishing it. Last year was like having the jigsaw so close to finished and then some idiot coming along and jamming a piece in the wrong place and running the puzzle entirely, this season it feels more like we've almost finished, but we're missing a piece.

A lot of pressure is going to be on Semenyo, Eisa, Taylor and Weimann as we've not signed a striker. I don't think there is a single fan who would say they would be happy with Taylor or Weimann as our sole striker if Fammy got injured, I also think it's safe to say that both Eisa and Semenyo are a roll of the dice. If that roll comes out a six LJ will be hailed a genius, if it comes out a 1 he'll be crucified, if it comes out a 3 we'll obviously hear "we needed that striker in January". 

5 minutes ago, Spike said:

You can try and win the league but there is a massive difference between trying and succeeding. This league doesn't care if you're a trier, it cares about results. We could have tried to sign 100 different attacking midfielders but had we failed on all of them we wouldn't have anything to show for it. As it is we've signed Palmer and he's had an instant impact. 

The fans don't care about the whole picture, they care about results and it's a results based business. 

Now don't jump on me straight away, I'm not saying we're lacking ambition, I fully believe the ambition is there, I think what we're lacking is that final piece of the puzzle when we're so close to finishing it. Last year was like having the jigsaw so close to finished and then some idiot coming along and jamming a piece in the wrong place and running the puzzle entirely, this season it feels more like we've almost finished, but we're missing a piece.

Last year I don’t think we had the box with the picture on it!

A lot of pressure is going to be on Semenyo, Eisa, Taylor and Weimann as we've not signed a striker. I don't think there is a single fan who would say they would be happy with Taylor or Weimann as our sole striker if Fammy got injured,

Some are content though.  I do think that Fam was crucial initially to the change to 4141/4411 and more direct style.  However over the past 4-6 games I’ve seen us start to play a bit shorter and with Palmer I think we can impose ourselves on games without Fam - if we need to.

I also think it's safe to say that both Eisa and Semenyo are a roll of the dice. If that roll comes out a six LJ will be hailed a genius, if it comes out a 1 he'll be crucified, if it comes out a 3 we'll obviously hear "we needed that striker in January". 

10 minutes ago, Spike said:

A lot of pressure is going to be on Semenyo, Eisa, Taylor and Weimann as we've not signed a striker. I don't think there is a single fan who would say they would be happy with Taylor or Weimann as our sole striker if Fammy got injured, I also think it's safe to say that both Eisa and Semenyo are a roll of the dice. If that roll comes out a six LJ will be hailed a genius, if it comes out a 1 he'll be crucified, if it comes out a 3 we'll obviously hear "we needed that striker in January". 

I too am disappointed we did not bring in a Forward as I feel this is the one thing we seem to be missing (good competition for Fammy would I believe helped him as well). but as has been said if the players were no right no point brining them in, look at last year debacle bringing in a player that never looked interested and had a clause that he had to play so many games to the determent of the team and other players... and the less said about Diony the better? we had the team to push on last year and failed miserably because of the loans and or lack or signings in January... 

Hopefully Eisa and Semenyo get some game this will help them learn and to prove what we all hope they can do... I just hope this is again come the end of the season we don't look back and say what if we had got another striker !!!! my only worry is as with last January all the teams around us have strengthened there squads by brining players in (I know we have got KP in who I think is a cracking player) and we have done very little business again...

heres hoping we have a great second half of the season and it don't come back to bite us in the ass again...

Archived