IGNORED

Jim Brennan in management

finbarr_in_z

41 minutes ago, archie andrews said:

Ermm....he played left back most of the time.....

Indeed and I seem to remember that it was Benny that recognised his talent and put him in the first team. Later on he was sold to Forest for £1.5M IIRC. It was when he was getting rave reviews for us that he first came to the attention of Canada - our reward being him being unavailable for a crunch relegation game at Crewe at their insistence. 

Jim played for us at LB for a while and did pretty well.  He also scored a goal or two from that position and could certainly hit a ball hard.  Forest saw his talent and offered us £1 million and we bit their hand off.

A few years later, I spoke to a Forest fan and he said Brennan was rubbish and a complete waste of money, but my understanding was that the formation Forest played simply didn't suit him.

I guess he would have been better off staying with us.

1 hour ago, Calculus said:

Indeed and I seem to remember that it was Benny that recognised his talent and put him in the first team. Later on he was sold to Forest for £1.5M IIRC. It was when he was getting rave reviews for us that he first came to the attention of Canada - our reward being him being unavailable for a crunch relegation game at Crewe at their insistence. 

Wasn't Benny in Crossroads?

9 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Jim played for us at LB for a while and did pretty well.  He also scored a goal or two from that position and could certainly hit a ball hard.  Forest saw his talent and offered us £1 million and we bit their hand off.

A few years later, I spoke to a Forest fan and he said Brennan was rubbish and a complete waste of money, but my understanding was that the formation Forest played simply didn't suit him.

I guess he would have been better off staying with us.

Sorry to be pedantic. It was £1.5 million.

See paragraph 7: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://amp.theguardian.com/football/2001/jul/31/newsstory.sport2&ved=2ahUKEwjq3bbdh5vgAhXORhUIHe9eCQoQFjADegQIBBAB&usg=AOvVaw2wZb_7APbov-Zn1OkLivui&ampcf=1

1 hour ago, Curr Avon said:

Either way, it was too much and we would have been daft not to take it.

10 hours ago, alexukhc said:

One of our best youth players before the academy started properly, but how would we ever of got a player from Canada back then? Is it my imagination that we tried him at left back too

Be strange to not play a left back at left back.

Archived