IGNORED

Methodical

Silvio Dante

There are multiple ways to win a football match - attritional, luckily, all out attack.

What that was today was something I can’t remember seeing city doing much over the years. A systematic, methodical dismantling of a play off rival. It never looked in doubt, it never felt we were going to lose. A lot of that comes from the Kalas/Webster axis, but essentially, everyone turned up and did their job.

A performance and momentum of this nature, and a bench of that strength - this feels like there is something big happening here....

4 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

There are multiple ways to win a football match - attritional, luckily, all out attack.

What that was today was something I can’t remember seeing city doing much over the years. A systematic, methodical dismantling of a play off rival. It never looked in doubt, it never felt we were going to lose. A lot of that comes from the Kalas/Webster axis, but essentially, everyone turned up and did their job.

A performance and momentum of this nature, and a bench of that strength - this feels like there is something big happening here....

Famara had a stinker . COD wasn’t great , goal aside.

Still fantastic performance and still potential to improve.

wow.

8 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

If you don’t concede you don’t lose like George Graham always said,we look so solid so lj has to take credit for that

22 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

wow.

Fam didn’t have a stinker. Not quite as good as he has been and COD you could describe the same. 

Good performance and glad our home form has picked up(and the entertainment!). 

29 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

wow.

I thought. COD as outstanding , caused them all sorts of problems , particularly when he went centrally

I thought with a couple of possible exceptions the individual performances of most were as good as I’ve seen all season

The OP nailed it for me.

I really enjoyed the game, never felt we’d lose it and I though City were excellent particularly in the second 45. The Swans fans made a massive contribution to the atmosphere again in the second 45.

Good performance and a well earned 3 points.

9 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I thought. COD as outstanding , caused them all sorts of problems , particularly when he went centrally

I thought with a couple of possible exceptions the individual performances of most were as good as I’ve seen all season

His defensive work was exceptional today as was Weimann

13 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Top performance. Dominated most of the match. We are so solid without the ball now. Not only because of our defence, but O'Dowda and Weimann are fantastic in tracking back. They both get through so much work. Paterson's pressing too, which I don't think gets appreciated much from fans. What a side we have. And we have so much depth too. Really impressed. I thought we played some entertaining stuff today too.

Was sat near the touch line today with my nephew, in line with the 18 yard box. Really caught my attention how synchronised we were when defending. Both lines really working hard to keep shape and move as units. Very impressive and can see why we’ve been doing so well defensively. 

Bravo LJ ? 

3 minutes ago, RedSA said:

Was sat near the touch line today with my nephew, in line with the 18 yard box. Really caught my attention how synchronised we were when defending. Both lines really working hard to keep shape and move as units. Very impressive and can see why we’ve been doing so well defensively. 

Bravo LJ ? 

We defend very compact and very narrow, we allow space wide but are confident to deal with what comes in , and we do look solid

Very impressive

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

We defend very compact and very narrow, we allow space wide but are confident to deal with what comes in , and we do look solid

Very impressive

Weimann and O'Dowda working back so much helps as well. Much as Sproule and McIndoe used to for GJ, though Andi and Callum are rather better players.

The current group of players certainly seem to understand and trust the system and can execute it well.

5 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Very impressive

I did think initially that we were allowing too much space for their wingbacks. But as the game went on you could see that we intended that to a certain extent and were comfortable dealing with whatever the wingbacks created.

2 minutes ago, Red Army 87 said:

I did think initially that we were allowing too much space for their wingbacks. But as the game went on you could see that we intended that to a certain extent and were comfortable dealing with whatever the wingbacks created.

It’s given me the jitters in games but is clearly the defensive plan, and Tbf we deal with what comes in the box very well

Theres certainly some good defensive shape work been going on 

16 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Very impressive

Yeah I could see how Da Saliva was actively choosing to drop off their winger to keep it compact. 

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

wow.

I don’t think anyone was less than a 6/10 today.  I’m not as set on COD as some, but I thought he was really good in their half today.

33 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Top performance. Dominated most of the match. We are so solid without the ball now. Not only because of our defence, but O'Dowda and Weimann are fantastic in tracking back. They both get through so much work. Paterson's pressing too, which I don't think gets appreciated much from fans. What a side we have. And we have so much depth too. Really impressed. I thought we played some entertaining stuff today too.

COD caught a couple of times on his blindside today, but he was a threat most of the game, got his goal (cool finish) and should’ve scored another.

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I don’t think anyone was less than a 6/10 today.  I’m not as set on COD as some, but I thought he was really good in their half today.

COD caught a couple of times on his blindside today, but he was a threat most of the game, got his goal (cool finish) and should’ve scored another.

Like him centrally .....in behind FD or the pinnacle

He can go either way ,....big advantage IMHO  and finish

A really good 90 minute performance with a couple of scares first half from Swansea.

I’m a big Fammy fan but he was poor today - especially first half. Taylor came on was effective but he’s still trying to take it round their lad again I think...

Weimann and COD very good. Defence superb although Bailey exposes first half.

Pack I thought dominated the middle.

Really good day - just hope we haven’t gone too early...

8 minutes ago, Ian M said:

I think Fam's efforts were greater appreciated by those in the ground than those who only had the feed to go by. He put a shift in today and deserved his ovation when he went off.

I thought Pato should’ve got a bigger round of applause when he came off.  Thought he had a really effective game today and found some lovely space.  Good Cross for goal too.

5 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

I think it says something when, as a team, we were superb (as good as I can remember over 90 mins) and yet Brownhill wasn't at his best and Fam and Wright were at best OK.

If a team can cope with average performances and still control the game - it really says something about them as a unit.

Wright stuck to his task against a tricky Celina in 1st half, but he rarely got past him.  Second half, he was as solid as you can get.

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

Last time we were this good was when we got promoted, there is a confidence and steely character about this squad and I would fancy us against anyone in this league at the moment. I know Blackburn got dicked 5-2 today and are decent at home but fancy us to extend our run next Saturday

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I thought Pato should’ve got a bigger round of applause when he came off.  Thought he had a really effective game today and found some lovely space.  Good Cross for goal too.

Wright stuck to his task against a tricky Celina in 1st half, but he rarely got past him.  Second half, he was as solid as you can get.

I may be wrong but I thought John was really exposing him first half - agree he was good in second?

I thought that was our best home performance of season

Thought they did what we have been guilty of in past and overplayed around the final third

I thought we were much better , showing patience but being really incisive at times

Once we went one up we cut them to ribbons on a fair few occasions

Soecial note for me for Jay De Silva - outstanding

Oh.....and for Weimann, as usual ran his heart out , worked his socks off and got a very well deserved goal

Methodical is a good word. I always thought LJ was too gung ho. Not enough structure and we were too often wide open through over committing, with teams able to run straight through our midfield.

The 4-1-4-1 set up took a while to settle but it gives us both structure and flexibility, with a variety of players able to slot in as required.

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I thought that was our best home performance of season

Thought they did what we have been guilty of in past and overplayed around the final third

I thought we were much better , showing patience but being really incisive at times

Once we went one up we cut them to ribbons on a fair few occasions

Soecial note for me for Jay De Silva - outstanding

Oh.....and for Weimann, as usual ran his heart out , worked his socks off and got a very well deserved goal

I don’t think they had anywhere to go Bob.  McBurnie was dropping deeper and deeper to avoid being outclassed by Kalas (Klas!!!), so they had no-one to run off the shoulders.  Dyer and Celina came narrower so condensed the space too.  The only real time they got in, MOTM Weimann made a great tackle.

Archived