IGNORED

Cole Skuse love in ending?

22A

41 minutes ago, Negan said:

Always thought he was over rated and people like to think they are smart by saying "he does the stuff most people don't notice" b*ll*cks. He'll put in the odd tackle but CDM he is not. Spends most of the time passing backwards or sideways and doesn't create or score. It was mental how people thought he was better than Marv. Having said that I think they should keep him for league 1, decent experienced professional which they'll need as we know L1 can be difficult. 

Very similar to Marlon Pack then !!!!

6 minutes ago, Hampshire Red said:

A long otib thread based on the view of a single, sad ITFC fan. Amazing and wonder how many on hear were talking about 'wholesale clear out' of our squad 12months ago. 

To be fair, Ipswich are bottom of the table, as many wins from safety as they have picked up all season and look utterly doomed. It is simple logic to suggest they need a wholesale clear out and, even if they did not, relegated teams tend to get one anyway. 

What I do find a bit weird though is the implication in the OP that the fact that some fans feel Skuse’s time may be at an end after six years somehow proves Ipswich fans were wrong to think Skuse were a good signing in the first place. 

2 hours ago, Nibor said:

They hate everyone because years of underinvestment in the squad are coming home to roost now that they got Mick fired and haven't been able to find another manager able to get anywhere near as much out of a mediocre squad.  The fans have themselves to blame there.

Skuse is the sort of player they're going to need in league one next season.

Rather think even he may have had problems with Waghorn, Garner and McGoldrick all leaving in one summer! Especially Waghorn...his output was so important.

2 hours ago, pongo88 said:

Skuse is 32 so it’s no surprise that his career is tailing off a bit.Playing in a struggling side doesn’t help, but part of the problem must be the meagre transfer budget Mic McCarthy had to operate with for years. The chickens are coming home to roost

Ipswich have never been a team to splash the cash much in the transfer market. Back in the day they paid decent money at the time to Plymouth for Paul Marriner (who we were linked with), and later brought in two great Dutchmen, but they prided themselves on producing players through their youth set up, which they still do but not perhaps in the numbers necessary at present. I think they’ll definitely go down, but expect them to bounce straight back. 

18 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

What I do find a bit weird though is the implication in the OP that the fact that some fans feel Skuse’s time may be at an end after six years somehow proves Ipswich fans were wrong to think Skuse were a good signing in the first place. 

Every Ipswich manager has rated Skuse highly and is one of the first on the team sheet - why? Because these guys understand football and know what’s needed in any starting 11.

Sadly too many City fans couldn’t appreciate what Skuse’s role was when he was at City. 

The Tractor Boys are relegation bound and they know it and if we were in the same position our fans would be looking to scapegoat anyone - and that’s whats happening at Portman Rd.

6 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Every Ipswich manager has rated Skuse highly and is one of the first on the team sheet - why? Because these guys understand football and know what’s needed in any starting 11.

Sadly too many City fans couldn’t appreciate what Skuse’s role was when he was at City. 

The Tractor Boys are relegation bound and they know it and if we were in the same position our fans would be looking to scapegoat anyone - and that’s whats happening at Portman Rd.

I’ve said this before but I feel Skuse had started to stagnate a bit with us. I agree he was undervalued but him leaving when he did was the right move for all concerned.

Skuse, when things are going well is your Mr Consistent, consistently playing well - not good, but well - and there is something to be said for that. But when the sleeves and socks need to be pulled up he’s unable to up his game and goes at the same methodical, uninspirational approach.  

He’s a good player when the circumstances are right. He’s dependable; but he’s no fighter. 

Hi,

Ipswich fan here. Thank you for popping over to our place to enquire about why we sold Webster. The answer is we appointed a charlatan of a manger in Hurst, who wildly underestimated the strength of the Championship. He sold pretty much every player of any quality and replaced them with surprisingly expensive(!) L1 and L2 players. 

While with us, Webster was an on/off player due to injury but his class was unquestionable. Unfortunately, with McCarthy in charge we were never going to see the best of his ball-playing abilities. On the other hand, MM helped coach him on the defensive side of the game, which has surely helped him leaps and bounds. 

Skuse is highly appreciated by most Town fans. Though there are always some bright sparks who don't seem to understand the role of a DCM. No, he doesn't score goals or maraud up the pitch; that's not his job. But try explaining that to some! He's usually the first or second name on the team sheet and quite rightly so. He has played and will continue to play a very important role for us, on and off the pitch.

We have been doomed from well before Christmas. More or less every Town fan has now accepted this. Our current predicament is all down to a manager inexperienced at this level believing he could play a free-flowing style of football with L1/L2 players. He introduced far too many players all at once, and none of them appear capable of playing Championship football. 

Congratulations on your season so far, I hope it continues. Webster will grow into a hell of a player for you.

Cheers,

Despondent in Ipswich

I can't see the love in with Skuse. Definately a marmite player.

In his early years he would be dynamic and industrious and really put a shift in and warrant his place in the team.

Unfortunately over the years he's become very comfortable strolling around the park. I am not surprised that he's an integral part of the ITFC midfield as you'll always get a steady performance from him, there is no doubt he reads the game very well. But you need a lot more than that nowadays especially at Championship level.

Ironically, if by some miracle Ipswich stay up then I can't see a place for him next season but at League 1 level, I think with his intelligence, he will do a very good job.

I can see him coming back here in a coaching capacity at some point as LJ rates him.

Archived