IGNORED

Palmer Rested for next Saturday?

Port Said Red

1 minute ago, Port Said Red said:

Just wondering to myself whether Palmer will be starting against Blackburn, he knows their team and their tactics well and he could be very useful in the build up this week. 

Certainly hope he isn't rested, hopefully motivated enough to tear them a new 1.

1 minute ago, LondonBristolian said:

Yeah - I must admit I raised my eyebrows when I saw he wasn’t starting but LJ was utterly vindicated by the performance.

LJ did a very good post match on Talksport

Praised Swansea, talked about his half time talk and belief in how we were playing

Interestingly said that we lacked some spark in final third first half ‘and maybe I should have started Kasey Palmer’

( not sure whether that’s his reflective thoughts or were his thoughts at half time)

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Praised Swansea, talked about his half time talk and belief in how we were playing

Interestingly said that we lacked some spark in final third first half ‘and maybe I should have started Kasey Palmer’

( not sure whether that’s his reflective thoughts or were his thoughts at half time)

Valid point. First half we definitely had quite a few moments where we got into good positions then played a bad pass or cross and squandered the opportunity. Not sure what I would do against Blackburn. I can see a strong case for starting Palmer especially but also Eliasson but any of Of Weimann, O’Dowda or Paterson would be unlucky not to start.

1 minute ago, Scrumpty said:

Great to have such quality on the bench, putting pressure on present incumbents. Dack and Graham both came off injured yesterday, so they may not have many options up front.

Agreed, I thought Eliasson looked particularly impressive coming off the bench. His confidence is growing by the game.

• Admin
9 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Agreed, I thought Eliasson looked particularly impressive coming off the bench. His confidence is growing by the game.

He almost looked stronger and definitely more up for his defensive duties, often sprinting to get back into shape.

The team for game 46 this season will be so much stronger than the team was for game 1, that's what is so exciting for me at the moment.

18 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I said on another thread that whilst Pato had a decent performance I think we would’ve dominated the whole match and possibly scored 1 or 2 more with Kasey out there. He just cuts teams open effortlessly. 

27 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I think the reason Pato got the nod yesterday, was LJ thought he would understand our shape better without the ball, as Palmer still getting used to it.  Against a team like Swansea, you have to be prepared to have periods without the ball.  

FWIW, I would’ve started Palmer, but Pato has been been playing better in the league, so sat there thinking Pato needs a good game...and imho, he did.

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think the reason Pato got the nod yesterday, was LJ thought he would understand our shape better without the ball, as Palmer still getting used to it.  Against a team like Swansea, you have to be prepared to have periods without the ball.  

FWIW, I would’ve started Palmer, but Pato has been been playing better in the league, so sat there thinking Pato needs a good game...and imho, he did.

Think this , is an excellent answer 

14 minutes ago, RedSA said:

I said on another thread that whilst Pato had a decent performance I think we would’ve dominated the whole match and possibly scored 1 or 2 more with Kasey out there. He just cuts teams open effortlessly. 

To this RedSA

Palmer is more forward thinking ,always on the half turn

Pato for all his physical limitations has improved on at least getting in shape and is probably a ‘safer’ bet atm 

• Admin

This is as good a place as any to put this, I see Graham & Dack went off injured yesterday. Wonder if they'll be fit for Saturday?

After Forest lost a whole defence and Swansea had to rest 2 key players who had deadline day moves fall through, are we starting to see some of the luck we didn't get last season?

3 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

To this RedSA

Pato for all his physical limitations has improved on at least getting in shape and is probably a ‘safer’ bet atm 

Yeah, I get that. I would’ve gone with Palmer but it’s easy to say that when it’s not your job on the line ?

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I wasn't surprised Pato started over Palmer, as LJ referred to Palmer not being up to speed on our game 'in transition', which, I think, is one of the reasons we are a much tighter unit now.

3 hours ago, Ian M said:

This is as good a place as any to put this, I see Graham & Dack went off injured yesterday. Wonder if they'll be fit for Saturday?

After Forest lost a whole defence and Swansea had to rest 2 key players who had deadline day moves fall through, are we starting to see some of the luck we didn't get last season?

I don't believe there is any luck in football.

All I know about luck, is that when I was growing up, Liverpool got all the luck, during later years, ManUre got all the luck, and more recently, Man Blue get all the luck.

And yes, we do seem to be getting luckier...

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

4 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

To this RedSA

53 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

I wasn't surprised Pato started over Palmer, as LJ referred to Palmer not being up to speed on our game 'in transition', which, I think, is one of the reasons we are a much tighter unit now.

LJ has said Palmer won't be starting any time soon , I don't think it's just the' in transition' thing . Pato has become steadier , but less attacking, I think that suits how we play at the moment. We went through a similar spell with Kelly and DaSilva, Kelly seemed to play when the opposition was more of a threat. I do think , even when Palmer is up to speed , Paterson will start most away games , Palmer coming on as an impact sub. 
KP is far more direct, and intent on getting in the box than Pato , so is likely to leave more gaps. We are a steadier more studied team now, that isn't a criticism , we don't seem susceptible to the simple ball over the top or quick break and that is not just down to Webster and Kalas . 
I saw the phrase 'horses for courses' earlier, and I think that sums it up. If we need , or can afford to be more attacking it will be Palmer. When we need to be a bit more careful , Pato.

6 hours ago, hoxton casual said:

Why was he rested yesterday? Right decision imv but thought he would start. Pato and Weimann certainly upped their game with him waiting on the bench!

Weimann didn’t ‘up’ his game - he’s put in ‘100% commitment’ performances all season ...... long before Palmer arrived..... yesterday was his usual high energy, high standards game...top player...

Archived