IGNORED

Who is in goal when Niki is fit ?

TonyTonyTony

17 hours ago, hertsexile said:

It’s a difficult one this both very good. However as the LJ management team keeps telling us it is a squad thing back up in every position. Finally we have two goalkeepers who could walk in to any championship team as number one 

So you are saying we have the best 2 keepers in the league? Am I reading that right?

16 hours ago, Bryans Left Peg said:

Agree with this.

Interestingly Niki’s passing success rate this season v Fielding last season is only 0.5% better (55.3% v 54.8%) so not too much in it!

Both those figures are very low. Frank Fieldings % last season were also higher. Maenpaa has been higher this.

Its often subjective. Its often about intent. A keeper could have great distribution but be used as a form of pivot launching balls to the flanks high and losing possession frequently,  and the Keepers who can position themselves on the edge/outside of the box and act to pass the ball constantly ten, twenty metres simply to feet have very high passing accuracies - Fulham last season.

But for BCFC who provides the most flexibility for the team? Fielding or Maenpaa.

Maenpaa. 

11 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Both those figures are very low. Frank Fieldings % last season were also higher. Maenpaa has been higher this.

Its often subjective. Its often about intent. A keeper could have great distribution but be used as a form of pivot launching balls to the flanks high and losing possession frequently,  and the Keepers who can position themselves on the edge/outside of the box and act to pass the ball constantly ten, twenty metres simply to feet have very high passing accuracies - Fulham last season.

But for BCFC who provides the most flexibility for the team? Fielding or Maenpaa.

Maenpaa. 

What are your thoughts about command of the box ? Frank worries me as he relies on defenders to "claim" crosses and generally stays on his line, whereas Niki is more of what you would expect in the British game.

32 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

What are your thoughts about command of the box ? Frank worries me as he relies on defenders to "claim" crosses and generally stays on his line, whereas Niki is more of what you would expect in the British game.

Maenpaaa is significantly better at commanding the box, however his two centre backs are more than decent. Which players attributes fit the teams needs? It conceivable that being better at shot stopping or better at crosses is outweighed by what they do with the ball at their feet. 

Last season my preference was to see a footballing CB in the back four and a Keeper with improved distribution. This season it looks like an improvement and possible progression. It could be that neither are the longer term future for Bristol City's game. Webster distributing the ball round the back with Pack distributing the ball in another pivot role provides glimpses of what that game could be. Add a Keeper who is genuinely good with his feet? The thoughts regarding crosses can be less significant. That added technical ability provides tactical flexibility, including further possible defensive flexibility. 

7 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Maenpaaa is significantly better at commanding the box, however his two centre backs are more than decent. Which players attributes fit the teams needs? It conceivable that being better at shot stopping or better at crosses is outweighed by what they do with the ball at their feet. 

Last season my preference was to see a footballing CB in the back four and a Keeper with improved distribution. This season it looks like an improvement and possible progression. It could be that neither are the longer term future for Bristol City's game. Webster distributing the ball round the back with Pack distributing the ball in another pivot role provides glimpses of what that game could be. Add a Keeper who is genuinely good with his feet? The thoughts regarding crosses can be less significant. That added technical ability provides tactical flexibility, including further possible defensive flexibility. 

Agree with that. Would also add Kalas though less flashy and adventurous when in possession (the best of which in a technical sense I'm not fully sure we've seen yet) is another good option for playing through the thirds.

Hopefully over time we'll continue to increasingly go for shorter distribution which we are moving towards but Maenpaa (in time, could be someone better and younger), Kalas, Webster, Pack? Some great passing lanes there.

21 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Agree with that. Would also add Kalas though less flashy and adventurous when in possession (the best of which in a technical sense I'm not fully sure we've seen yet) is another good option for playing through the thirds.

Hopefully over time we'll continue to increasingly go for shorter distribution which we are moving towards but Maenpaa (in time, could be someone better and younger), Kalas, Webster, Pack? Some great passing lanes there.

Its again what do want to see. Maenpaaa creates passing options which are not present with Frank Fielding in goal. I don't use the word not lightly but it is a NOT. Maenpaaa has a different range of skills. There is possibility to progress this much further by deciding that the team need in its Keeper-  It has to pass the ball well.  

Hopefully over time we'll continue to increasingly go for shorter distribution which we are moving towards … I would like to FB's pushed higher, City now have more players who could have hit Bryan last season quicker and more frequently … Dasilva can go aggressively higher. That sort of possibility is lessened with Frank Fielding in goal. 

3 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Basic passing skills and the speed its done puts Maenpaa in front there.

7 hours ago, Cowshed said:

Maenpaa. 

Not suggesting you’re wrong but where are you getting your data from? I’m intrigued.

51 minutes ago, Bryans Left Peg said:

Not suggesting you’re wrong but where are you getting your data from? I’m intrigued.

Statsbomb and squawka. What I feel about Keeper stats is that it is harder to be objective. The accuracies can wildly vary week to week in a manner outfield players don't.  

17 hours ago, Bryans Left Peg said:

I used Squawka for my own stats, not sure why we had different results.

Squawka currently appears to be having technical difficulties.

Keeper stats are uneven. You will see slightly varying results sites to site, but it will depend on what period we look at. Maenpaa earlier in the season was 10% more accurate v Fielding now its .5%. Keepers distribution stats really alter wildly. Outfield players forwards apart have more consistent metrics. 

Stats for Keepers are hard to keep in context including saves. They need that context … Bravo has had accuracy stats of 100% which appears unbelievable but the context is all his passes were less than thirty metres!

Archived