IGNORED

Who is in goal when Niki is fit ?

TonyTonyTony

24 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

If he was a top class Keeper he would be playing at that level. Two thirds of a Keepers game is played with the feet and being adept at that aspect of the game wins games. Frank Fieldings footskills leave a lot to be desired. 

The save from close range vs Forest, a header. Yesterday when he got the fingers on the ball when we were 1-0 up. Thats top class. Lately our gk shoot the ball long up in the centerfield, mutch better. And sure Frankie can kick a ball long and straight. Last season we always kicked the boll towards the sidelines. Not good for the players or for our goalie.

15 minutes ago, Garland-sweden said:

He he. It will be Interesting when Mäenpää is fit. Mainthing we keep on taking points and can fight for a place in top six.

Stop showing off that you have the funny a-letters with the dots  :laugh:

Look at mine!  å ø æ 

Ha det bra, svenker

Interesting shout. It's a tough call this because I feel a lot of Frankie's distribution 'issues' last season came from our tactic of putting flint on the sidelines by halfway and frankie aiming for him. I thought he was much better generally yesterday and last few games. I admit to eye rolling a lot last season when he used to frequently put it into touch.

That said there were a couple of occasions where we seemed to invite pressure when he should just be clearing lines. It's a great problem that means nikki doesn't need to rush back. At the point Nikki is ready, Frank will have played more games. If we are still on this run then you have to stick with it - if not then recall NM

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Partly because of his positioning....he doesn’t need to make blinding saves.

Having said that, take a look at this post with video.

Frankie has improved recently and is now less likely to kick into touch regularly and yes, he is a great shot stopper.

BUT you only have to watch this video to understand that in Mainpaa we now have in the squad a world class GK. 

A brilliant recent signing by our management team including Webster, DAS, Kalas and Palmer - I know, three of them are on season loans from Chelsea but (If available) I would sign every one of them up for our squad. 

Sorry Frankie but IMO when NIKi is fit, you are an excellent Number 2. 

5 hours ago, Bouncearoundtheground said:

Frankie is a top class goalkeeper who has fought off any competition since we were promoted. He is the type of keeper that wins you games, Niki is a safe pair of hands but doesn’t have the blinding saves FF pulls off 

if only we had a goalie that distributes like Niki and saves shots like Frankie, but we probably wouldn't be able to afford him!

Nikki as he distributes the ball so much better and the transition when he claims a cross or makes a save and throws the ball in the path of a player bombing towards the opposition defence - that's gotta be a worry for any manager on how you deal with a team that can transition and break that fast - sadly for some reason Frankie just does not have that.

56 minutes ago, Fiale said:

Nikki as he distributes the ball so much better and the transition when he claims a cross or makes a save and throws the ball in the path of a player bombing towards the opposition defence - that's gotta be a worry for any manager on how you deal with a team that can transition and break that fast - sadly for some reason Frankie just does not have that.

What is Frank Fieldings out ball? By that what is it that he is particularly good at in regards to distribution. His javelin and side arm/over arm throws are not remarkably good and his skills with his feet of drive, chip, volleys etc are ordinary and frequently worse.  

If you are not adept at the above skills game speed has to suffer. Players in any position summon the appropriate skill in a millisecond when they are highly competent at the task. 

It really can be a case of what you want … Frank Fielding is pretty good at shot stopping. The question then is that enough in a possession (?) based team. 

13 hours ago, TonyTonyTony said:

For me - last year FF’s distribution was sometimes shocking and Niki seemed like an upgrade on this. However since returning FF’s passing / throwing has looked pretty good. He was impeccable yesterday. 

Nice problem to have as others have said !

Totally agree Tone.

It was like a different bloke out there. One or two blips, but some very decent kicks and throws out. He held onto it when it was sensible to do so, as well. One of my bugbears about FF was the number of times he released the ball quickly to defenders who were instantly under pressure. 

Overall, perhaps because of his longer reach, I think NM is the slightly better keeper technically. 

But it would be harsh to drop Frank after some very good displays.

I'd keep him in but on the understanding that he is forever fighting for his place in the team. 

Competition is good.

13 hours ago, Roger Red Hat said:

I think Niki doesn't pull off the blinding saves because he doesn't need to.

I was just about to post the same thing, he is rarely caught out of position and his additional size allows him to get to things easier that Frankie has to make flying leaps at. I also think his throwing more than his footwork makes his distribution better. He can throw as far as some keepers can kick it, but it's quicker because he doesn't have to switch it from hands to feet. 
I wonder if it is a transferable skill from his childhood, the javelin is a very popular sport in Finland.

15 hours ago, Bouncearoundtheground said:

Frankie is a top class goalkeeper who has fought off any competition since we were promoted. He is the type of keeper that wins you games, Niki is a safe pair of hands but doesn’t have the blinding saves FF pulls off 

We are the second best team in the division defensively and the defense have all played a part in that.

They are both pro’s so they know how this can go. If we are winning the bloke with the shirt holds it is my thought and if change becomes necessary change it!

WE are lucky as despite commentary on here to the contrary we have two very good goal keepers and several promising ones.

2 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I was just about to post the same thing, he is rarely caught out of position and his additional size allows him to get to things easier that Frankie has to make flying leaps at. I also think his throwing more than his footwork makes his distribution better. He can throw as far as some keepers can kick it, but it's quicker because he doesn't have to switch it from hands to feet. 
I wonder if it is a transferable skill from his childhood, the javelin is a very popular sport in Finland.

It is a transferable skill ... It's  called the javelin technique as it's fundamentals mirror that of throwing a javelin... A fact from keeper coaching to bore your friends with.

Archived