IGNORED

Wolves v Shrewsbury match day thread

daored

14 minutes ago, phantom said:

Looking back that defeat was where the wheels started falling off for us last season, would be nice to go in the other direction after playing them next weekend

Yep, as soon as Frankie ran out the box and got sent off I had a feeling in the pit of my stomach, we were cruising at that point! Ah well!

2 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

We've got no game for six days after Wolves. So I'd put out the strongest team that is fit and ready to go. I'd not rest anyone against QPR in anticipation of the game but I'd play the strongest side available on the day. 

Agreed think you have a great record against Premiership sides and actually think it will be a very close contest as affairs are usually at Ashton’s agate.

Id like to think we’d look more interested against yourselves as you can tell we just drifted through both those ties against the Shrews.

Ideally of course you want a cup run and promotion but which would be priority for the fans? 

• Admin
18 minutes ago, JayWolfThe2nd said:

Agreed think you have a great record against Premiership sides and actually think it will be a very close contest as affairs are usually at Ashton’s agate.

Id like to think we’d look more interested against yourselves as you can tell we just drifted through both those ties against the Shrews.

Ideally of course you want a cup run and promotion but which would be priority for the fans? 

Promotion 100% from me

17 minutes ago, JayWolfThe2nd said:

Over the course of the season, the goal obviously has to be promotion but my personal view is we are outsiders to go up and, whilst it would be amazing if we did so, the reality is we might well miss out. The FA Cup has opened up this season due to a lot of the big clubs being knocked out, Chelsea - Man Utd being drawn against each other and a lot of the remaining premier league teams like yourselves and Watford being drawn away from home. It would be a massive shame for us or for you not to go for it in the fifth round given the winners have a decent chance of a winnable sixth-round draw and a chance of progression.

You'll obviously - and quite rightly - be favourites but  this is the best opportunity I can remember that we've had to get to an FA Cup semi-final - and the same goes for teams like QPR, Watford, Brentford etc too. It would be a massive shame to rest players, squander the opportunity and then, if we fall short of promotion, never know what would have happened if we had picked our best line-up.

3 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

We've got no game for six days after Wolves. So I'd put out the strongest team that is fit and ready to go. I'd not rest anyone against QPR in anticipation of the game but I'd play the strongest side available on the day. 

I still think we’ll see the odd change, e.g. Morrell, Eliasson, Kelly.

54 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I still think we’ll see the odd change, e.g. Morrell, Eliasson, Kelly.

I think so too but, given we've got games on the Saturday and the Tuesday, I don't necessarily see rotating the squad a little bit as a contradiction with picking the strongest line-up. Our midfielders, full-backs and wide players do a lot of running so if any of Da Silva, Brownhill, O'Dowda or Weimann are a little jaded by two games in a week, the players you mention might be stronger options than the same players for a third game in eight days. 

42 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I think so too but, given we've got games on the Saturday and the Tuesday, I don't necessarily see rotating the squad a little bit as a contradiction with picking the strongest line-up. Our midfielders, full-backs and wide players do a lot of running so if any of Da Silva, Brownhill, O'Dowda or Weimann are a little jaded by two games in a week, the players you mention might be stronger options than the same players for a third game in eight days. 

How is Weimann playing for you guys? Always liked him and think he honestly has always had talent (the goal he scored for us against Liverpool in the FA cup a few years back). BC have done business the smart way in my opinion unlike the Aston Villa’s of this world. One thing I’m intrigued by as have a friend whose a Fulham fan who said Bryan has struggled a little there. Personally think with Fulham problem is with the likes of Kamara there is also a bit of unrest in the camp, whereas both Bristol City and Wolves you feel have a closer knit squad.

Think both teams will go for it, despite having a better goals conceded column than Arsenal and Man Utd we’re still vulnerable to aerial power and a strong CF. Will be interesting how the game pans out as Wolves like to play on the counter attack so might give yourselves a fair amount of the ball

8 hours ago, JayWolfThe2nd said:

First team? Wolves were nowhere near full strength the first choice front 5 didn’t start (Neves, Dendoncker, Moutinho, Jota, Jimenez) and obviously our keeper was our back up.

Shows our back up players haven’t got the motivation though against lower league opposition.

Have no doubt we’ll play our first X1 against you though next weekend 

If they turn up at AG with the wrong attitude then Wolves will be rolled over. We are probably the most in form team in the country aside from Luton and I don’t think Nuno will be taking us lightly. Even so, we are a better team than last season and it could be decided by the odd goal

9 minutes ago, INCRED said:

If they turn up at AG with the wrong attitude then Wolves will be rolled over. We are probably the most in form team in the country aside from Luton and I don’t think Nuno will be taking us lightly. Even so, we are a better team than last season and it could be decided by the odd goal

No denying that at all. As we’ve seen with many teams (West Ham, Everton etc) can never underestimate the opposition. Whilst Wolves have undoubtedly a better first X1 that doesn’t guaranteee anything if there is no heart and passion. As you know (especially from last season) Nuno is extremely passionate something I welcome at Wolves (okay he has angered opposition fans including yours) but wouldn’t we all rather a manager who had passion in abundance than some of these lacklustre journeyman managers.

If I had to predict the game I could see it going to the penalty spot 

2 hours ago, JayWolfThe2nd said:

No denying that at all. As we’ve seen with many teams (West Ham, Everton etc) can never underestimate the opposition. Whilst Wolves have undoubtedly a better first X1 that doesn’t guaranteee anything if there is no heart and passion. As you know (especially from last season) Nuno is extremely passionate something I welcome at Wolves (okay he has angered opposition fans including yours) but wouldn’t we all rather a manager who had passion in abundance than some of these lacklustre journeyman managers.

If I had to predict the game I could see it going to the penalty spot 

Will you sell it out do you think? You should get about 3.5k so I would think so although 1pm Sunday and on TV?

1 hour ago, Red Right Hand said:

Will you sell it out do you think? You should get about 3.5k so I would think so although 1pm Sunday and on TV?

Even with the time we’ll sell out! I’ll stay down the evening before, go to Casamia for a bite to eat (although probably fully booked) actually one of the nicest restaurants in the U.K. real gem down your way! If you do beat us will be thoroughly deserved you certainly have the momentum at the moment - who are the standout players at the moment making the team tick 

21 hours ago, JayWolfThe2nd said:

Even with the time we’ll sell out! I’ll stay down the evening before, go to Casamia for a bite to eat (although probably fully booked) actually one of the nicest restaurants in the U.K. real gem down your way! If you do beat us will be thoroughly deserved you certainly have the momentum at the moment - who are the standout players at the moment making the team tick 

We don`t really have any TBH. It is a genuine team effort and no-one really stands out apart from our two CBs, Adam Webster and Tomas Kalas who are in most of our collective opinions one of the best, if not the best,  pairings in the division. Other than that we are a team that is much greater than the sum of its parts IMO.

Archived