IGNORED

Could The Club Tap Into OTIB's Expertise?

downendcity

From the BBC Website.

Fans of French side Avant Garde Caennaise can't chant "You don't know what you're doing" at the manager, because they'd be singing it at themselves.

Julien Le Pen is boss of the team, in the sixth tier of French football, and the 33-year-old has plenty of company on the sidelines.

Decisions such as the team line-up, in-game tactics and substitutions are decided by more than 2,000 virtual managers - this is like the Football Manager simulation game in real life.

However a French Football Federation ruling in December could now threaten the whole concept...

2,000 virtual managers - so who makes decisions?

"Before, I used to choose the team with my two assistants, now I do it in collaboration with thousands of people so that's the big difference," Le Pen tells BBC Sport. "They make plenty of decisions that a normal coach would make."

The supporters are known as 'Umans' and control the team using the free United Managers' app - a start-up which began working with the club in 2017.

Before the game Umans can decide on the starting line-up, substitutes, the formation, set-pieces and communicate with staff and players.

They vote using coins that they receive by using the app, or they can purchase a premium subscription. The more a Uman plays the game, the more weight their vote is worth.

Umans watch the game streamed live on the app or even go in person, with access to Opta stats and GPS data, and can vote on the gameplan and approve or reject substitutions that Le Pen wishes to make.

"It's filmed in a way that would be worthy of professional football," says Le Pen. "Having stats is unusual at this level too."

When the majority of users have agreed on a decision, it is then relayed to Le Pen in the dugout, via his assistant, who wears a headset. 

Alternatively, Le Pen can recommend a decision, but the Umans have the power to accept or decline it.

"I'm still the manager, I'm the link between the Umans and the team but if there's a decision that needs to be made quickly because there isn't time to consult the Umans, I can do that," says Le Pen. 

"There aren't any fixed rules around that, we just use common sense on the day. The objective is that the team performs better so decisions need to be made as quickly as possible. 

"If there was a bug in the app, I'd retake control. That hasn't happened so far. The community has been great so far, they're behind us not against us. It's a collaboration and that's what's so nice about the concept."

Just imagine if that was the case here. We would have Frank, Niki and Max sharing the game 30 minutes each, be playing a 3 5 2/ 4 1 4 1, but with 2 up top and 1 in the hole. We would play with wingers and a 3 man midfield and attacking defensive full backs. I think the only thing we would agree on would be Webster and Kalas. :)

I'm going to put my hands up and say there are plenty of times where City managers have picked the line-up I wanted and we've been terrible, and countless examples of me being baffled and annoyed by a selection that went onto win.

I am certain that it is nobody's interest for my opinions to start to have any genuine influence. Far better for everyone that I post on here pretending I know what I'm talking about, confident that it will never be put to the test...

30 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I'm going to put my hands up and say there are plenty of times where City managers have picked the line-up I wanted and we've been terrible, and countless examples of me being baffled and annoyed by a selection that went onto win.

I am certain that it is nobody's interest for my opinions to start to have any genuine influence. Far better for everyone that I post on here pretending I know what I'm talking about, confident that it will never be put to the test...

Hear hear. For most of us, it’s best if we keep our analysis to ourselves, let alone influence the management with it!

5 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Remember Ebbsfleet?

What happened to MyFootballClub – the club where fans decided everything? https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/oct/26/what-happened-to-myfootballclub-ebbsfleet-united?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

Cheers.  I had forgotten about them so it's good to read the full story.

I would say neither success nor failure and for a while it was amazing.

2 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

Very true....we are enthusiasts (in the main...there are some on here working in the pro game).

Most of us focus on the 90 minutes only.  How many times do you hear someone say “£10k for 90 minutes work once maybe twice a week”.  Out of naivety we forget the 4,5,6 days a week training - which incompasees time spent away from the training pitch in the gym, reviewing tactics, studying opposition etc.  I often think those days are what earns you £10k per week, and match day is your bonus.  I do wonder how the players see it?  It’s nothing like a normal job.

2 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

So basically, we should let you vote and ignore you

1 minute ago, Eddie Hitler said:

No. In saying that:

You've let your club down.

You've let your family down.

But most of all:

You've let yourself down :nono:

I was feeling pretty positive, but you're post has left me deflated.

Archived