IGNORED

Sexism in football

daored

53 minutes ago, xerox6060 said:

I agree, true I'm often thinking I wish she was in some sexy dress or skirt I admit ...but I do also think she's good at what she does so she keeps me watching for both reasons 

I dont mind a female pundit , a female commentator is like nails down a chalk board .... 

10 minutes ago, bengalcub said:

I dont mind a female pundit , a female commentator is like nails down a chalk board .... 

It might be because I'm deaf but the female tone is easier to pick its quiet funny because I had only been married three months before my ears committed suicide.   

52 minutes ago, The Batman said:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/australian-womens-national-team-lose-70-to-team-of-15yearold-boys-a3257266.html%3famp

I watched a bit of the women's 6 nations earlier. One thing that came to mind was "would my old team's under 16's beat this England side? " and I honestly think they would. 

Same goes for women's football. I went years without playing football and I entered a tournament where I was on the same side as a woman who plays in the woman's top division and has been called up to the England women's side. She was OK, but I was quicker, stronger, better in the ball, better tackler and I hadn't played football for nearly a decade. Yes I'd played rugby but it's totally different. She should have run rings around our opposition but it wasn't to be. Bit of an eye opener really to see the sheer difference. 

I think that's why some see it as such an issue because the level between men's and women's sport is ludicrous. 

Do you think you'd be a better pundit because you're a better player? This the debate in a nutshell. There are good pundits and rubbish ones. Genitalia doesn't matter in the slightest because it's about capacity to analyse in an engaging way, using your brain.

with respect

The use of 'token woman' in this thread...

Strange fact for you all, but women make up approximately 50% of the population of the UK. They're doing all sorts of crazy stuff nowadays; some are politicians (although not as much as men), some CEOs (although not as much as men), and some even (whilst probably accounting for a tiny percentage across the various TV, radio and other mediums) are football pundits. 

Gone are the days of football being a sport for men on the terraces. It's consumed globally now by both sexes, so it makes sense to me for their to at least be bit-part representation in punditry of this fact

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

I see it this way - former footballers now pundits will have played for numerous different managers and will have been privy to all the positional and tactical discussions throughout their careers and carry that knowledge with them into pundentry.

Female pundits, regardless of their knowledge and understanding of the game simply don’t have that depth of experience.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

They’ll never progress to the level of the men’s pro game.

I suppose then all football writers, journalists and analysts should all just pack it in as well then, as they won’t be reaching the same level of the men’s pro game either? 

4 hours ago, daored said:

Just watched BT Sport, Premier League Tonight and a really interesting debate.

As part of their panel they had Rachel Brown-Finnis as a pundit. They had a discussion about female pundits / commentators.

It was mentioned the amount of abuse on social media female pundits such as Alex Scott receives.

Personally I prefer to have a pundit who gives insight into the game, make or female. As I type this I’m listening to Chris Sutton on 5Live surely any pundit is better male or female 

I assume this programme wasn’t being broadcast live, when they should have been making the dinner..?!

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

They’ll never progress to the level of the men’s pro game.

It's not even the same sport, imo. 

They do the same things, but against other women. 

I like that they can play and be “included” but it’s entirely different to men’s football. 

Hence the difference in crowds, sponsorship and coverage. 

I’m all for the women’s game, in its own form, but to try and relate the 2, is like arranging a fight between Anthony Joshua & Jane Couch. It’s ridiculous! 

12 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

I suppose then all football writers, journalists and analysts should all just pack it in as well then, as they won’t be reaching the same level of the men’s pro game either? 

Former players as pundits.......not the same as journalists, writers or analysts.

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

I don’t get the impression that Murphy is condescending. In fact I don’t get  that from any former players who are now a pundits.

To me Murphy describes what’s been happening very clearly and in simple terms that most fans can follow.

The one pundit who does irritate me is the one who  co commentates on the Sky Championship games. Can’t remember his name but he talks a load of shite.

***coughs***

2 hours ago, steveybadger said:

Do you think you'd be a better pundit because you're a better player? This the debate in a nutshell. There are good pundits and rubbish ones. Genitalia doesn't matter in the slightest because it's about capacity to analyse in an engaging way, using your brain.

with respect

Ex Juventus player, now a pundit on Serie A.

7 hours ago, steveybadger said:

with respect

Absolutely. You could have the ability of Messi but if you're crap at public speaking or infront of cameras, you won't get a stint as a regular on a TV show. 

With the analytical bit though, with the examples I used in my link and video. Just how good was Alex Scott and where would she have got to if she played in the mens game? 

9 hours ago, underhanded said:

The use of 'token woman' in this thread...

Strange fact for you all, but women make up approximately 50% of the population of the UK. They're doing all sorts of crazy stuff nowadays; some are politicians (although not as much as men), some CEOs (although not as much as men), and some even (whilst probably accounting for a tiny percentage across the various TV, radio and other mediums) are football pundits. 

Gone are the days of football being a sport for men on the terraces. It's consumed globally now by both sexes, so it makes sense to me for their to at least be bit-part representation in punditry of this fact

Exactly, and as long as they're home in good time to make the tea, I can't see what all the fuss is about

I think the issue in a nutshell isn't about what a pundit sees or explains. It is whether they have credibility in the eyes of the paying public. That is why despite being marmite to viewers the likes of Souness still gets regular work simply because he has "been there". The other week Alex Scott was a pundit on BBC (I think) FA cup and said something along the lines that  there was no better feeling than lifting the trophy.

How the **** would she know ? She has no experience whatsoever of the type of matches she is speaking on, and cannot possibly know what it is like to play in matches of the intensity and media attention she is speaking about. If no relevant experience is required, why hasn't an articulate, intelligent former League 2 footballer broken into the top table of punditry years ago ? Its obviously because he would have no credibility in the eyes of the majority of viewers, otherwise it would surely have happened.

Personally, I always liked to listen to the journo's on the James Richardson Euro football programme. Refreshing, insightful and knew their leagues inside out but they wouldn't have  have been invited anywhere near a panel of footballers on a regular basis.

Therefore, I believe that Alex Scott is a token female pundit. She offers nothing more than the usual pundits and of course has nowhere near the status of any of them. The fact that she comes across better than the likes of Paul Ince simply confirms what most have always thought about him, so he is hardly the benchmark for her to be tested against.

She is here to stay of course.

5 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

My favourite pundit at the moment is Liam Rosenior . Should be on the big games 

Definitely. He has played in the Premier League, but will he break into the Neville Carragher Redknapp club ? Doubtful because he doesn't have their status as players even though he would wipe the floor with Jamie.

Sport is weird in that we insist the pundits be experts in the game. How many political commenters/journalists have ever been politicians? How many movie reviewers have acted or directed? 

When people like Phil Neville can get a job talking on TV, I see no reason why somebody like Alex Scott can’t.

12 hours ago, The Batman said:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/australian-womens-national-team-lose-70-to-team-of-15yearold-boys-a3257266.html%3famp

I watched a bit of the women's 6 nations earlier. One thing that came to mind was "would my old team's under 16's beat this England side? " and I honestly think they would. 

Same goes for women's football. I went years without playing football and I entered a tournament where I was on the same side as a woman who plays in the woman's top division and has been called up to the England women's side. She was OK, but I was quicker, stronger, better in the ball, better tackler and I hadn't played football for nearly a decade. Yes I'd played rugby but it's totally different. She should have run rings around our opposition but it wasn't to be. Bit of an eye opener really to see the sheer difference. 

I think that's why some see it as such an issue because the level between men's and women's sport is ludicrous. 

Wait until transgender men start playing like they have in other female sports. 

15 hours ago, Robbored said:

Personally I still have difficulty in accepting female football pundits - essentially because they’ve not played the game at a decent level.

Sorry Robbored but I'll never understand this logic because it's the same thing I hear from people who expect their opinion to hold weight despite never having played the game at a decent level themselves. 

I can understand someone who says "she makes a good point" because you really don't have to have played the game to have a good point of view, just look at:

Arrigo Sacchi - Changed the way the game was played and won numerous cups and he played at an awful level of semi-proffesional football. 

Carlos Alberto Parreira - Won the World Cup as a manager, never played a game of professional football.

Andre Villas-Boas - Turned Tottenham from a laughing stock into a consistent top 4 team in the Premier League. 

These are big names that stand out but Paul Clement, Roy Hodgson, Gerard Houllier, Avram Grant etc, all never played or played at a very low level and all went on to become managers.

This idea that you have to have played the game to understand it is nonsense. If you're involved in the world of football the chances are you're going to meet a lot of players, managers, coaches etc and the idea that women don't ask questions, learn from these people is daft. 

I've met some female fitness coaches who work for various football clubs and the knowledge they have about the game is mind blowing and they've never played a game in their life. 

2 hours ago, Loon plage said:

Personally, I always liked to listen to the journo's on the James Richardson Euro football programme. Refreshing, insightful and knew their leagues inside out but they wouldn't have  have been invited anywhere near a panel of footballers on a regular basis.

James Richardson has always been ace. Growing up watching football italia on channel 4. Great stuff. 

1 hour ago, phantom said:

I saw over the weekend that Michelle Owen has been getting lots of personal abuse too - some people really need to get a life

She was looking good on Sky Sports News yesterday! (I won't post a picture just check her Instagram!)

16 hours ago, Robbored said:

I see it this way - former footballers now pundits will have played for numerous different managers and will have been privy to all the positional and tactical discussions throughout their careers and carry that knowledge with them into pundentry.

Female pundits, regardless of their knowledge and understanding of the game simply don’t have that depth of experience.

I think it's an interesting point you make. For all their enthusiasm and knowledge, would a male, that had never played above conference level football, or ever managed at the higher end of the game, ever be invited on to the Champions League programme?  

1 minute ago, Sir Colby-Tit said:

Funnily enough, in my family, it's my girlfriend and step mum that express most annoyance at female commentators and pundits. Although, to be fair, every time Clare Balding appears on the telly my dad froths at the mouth and starts twitching.

As do horses and stable girls

Archived