IGNORED

Free Kick Takers

TheresaGreen

I seem to remember he completed a hat-trick at Barnsley with a great FK the season before last.

He can also curve them in dangerously from the left-hand side (for the type of goal Howard scored against us at Luton). In fact, I've wondered before why he hadn't taken more with Aaron taking them from the right; both of them so much more threatening at the dead ball than Wilko, Belly or (whisper it!) Tins ... as with so much else to do with our attacking ploys lasts season, no doubt the coaches were sleeping through the training sessions. Good to see a bit of objectivity in the pecking order.

I havnt seen a free kick scored like that form a player in a city shirt for ages (apart from caskeys) but that free kick was top quality. Roberts free kick taker next season??

Cracker wasn't it! Real composure and guile, is there no end to this man's talents? :P

Let me see now.... in the last few games, a solo run and super calm finish against Hartlepool, a cheeky little dink finish and a net buster against Clevedon and a superb free-kick against Yeovil. All that's missing is a header, oh, hang on a mo, he had one ruled out at Clevedon.

Good Heavens, the bloke appears to have the lot! Yep, give Robbo the free-kicks, that was Mickey Bell at his best.

Mind you, he'll need to be on the pitch first. :dunno:

City's scoring record direct from free-kicks has been diabolical over the last 3 to 4 seasons.Hopefully one of the new players,Gillespie,Orr or Heffernan can take a decent one.City certainly need one.Over a season a good free-kick taker could get 5 or 6 goals.

Dunno if Roberts is the answer.All he seems to do is blast the ball.

• Admin
City's scoring record direct from free-kicks has been diabolical over the last 3 to 4 seasons.Hopefully one of the new players,Gillespie,Orr or Heffernan can take a decent one.City certainly need one.Over a season a good free-kick taker could get 5 or 6 goals.

Dunno if Roberts is the answer.All he seems to do is blast the ball.

Well, no-one I've spoken to can recall Roberts actually taking a free-kick in between his Barnsley one and his Yeovil one so it's conceivable to say that he's scored from his last 2 free kicks (both of which were curlers not "blasts" by the way).

Well, no-one I've spoken to can recall Roberts actually taking a free-kick in between his Barnsley one and his Yeovil one so it's conceivable to say that he's scored from his last 2 free kicks (both of which were curlers not "blasts" by the way).

If I recall rightly Roberts free-kick at B'sley was a cross that got deflected in by a defender.He was still awarded the goal although technically it was an og.

Cracker wasn't it! Real composure and guile, is there no end to this man's talents? :P

Let me see now.... in the last few games, a solo run and super calm finish against Hartlepool, a cheeky little dink finish and a net buster against Clevedon and a superb free-kick against Yeovil. All that's missing is a header, oh, hang on a mo, he had one ruled out at Clevedon.

Good Heavens, the bloke appears to have the lot! Yep, give Robbo the free-kicks, that was Mickey Bell at his best.

Mind you, he'll need to be on the pitch first. :dunno:

Couldn't agree more mate, he's bang in form and looking confident

and sharp. Didn't stop a few people around me at Yeovil giving him

constant abuse though, what does this guy have to do?!!! ;)

• Admin
If I recall rightly Roberts free-kick at B'sley was a cross that got deflected in by a defender.He was still awarded the goal although technically it was an og.

It was actually a cross/shot as it was heading for the far corner had no-one touched it at all....

You also say "technically" it was own goal, this "technically" would be proved by going by the rules. I was under the belief that the rules state it is only an own goal if the deflection sends a ball that WASN'T on target into the goal. So technically it was Roberts' goal, and in reality too :dunno:

Guest DANBOY_BCFC
I still think Mickey Bell can take a good free kick but i would like to see someone else have a go, maybe Roberts.

Mickey in my opinion is the best free kick taker at the club, if he's in the line up for the season and I think he should be, I fancy him to score a free kick or 2!

I dont think Roberts will be our free kick taker purely because I dont think he

will be in the starting line up. It was a good free kick at Yeovil as was the one at Barnsley but we have other players who have good technique and I would include Luke Wilkshire in that category.

I havnt seen a free kick scored like that form a player in a city shirt for ages (apart from caskeys) but that free kick was top quality. Roberts free kick taker next season??

Tin mans against peterbough season before last!! pure class

Couldn't agree more mate, he's bang in form and looking confident

and sharp. Didn't stop a few people around me at Yeovil giving him

constant abuse though, what does this guy have to do?!!! :dunno:

True, but i also noted a rousing Robbo song from the chant-starters behind me straight after the goal, so that's a step in the right direction anyway.

A good overall goal-scoring record, notching in crunch games and regularly scoring in local Derbies obviously isn't enough for some City fans. Evidently this loud minority simply don't like the bloke.

That's their problem. Roberts hasn't got one with the vast majority.

Up to people like you and me to be more vocal at matches to make sure that Roberts is well aware the majority are on his side.

Surely the same people slating Roberts are the same people who hoisted him aloft after the Hartlepool game.

I know a lot of the older-generation seem to think he's too much of an individual(well people I've spoken to!)and not a team player. It's fine to debate a player's strengths and merits but needless, vocal abuse during matches shouldn't be prevalent.

I really rate the guy. He just needs to be utilised in the right way; when he's on top of his game he's one of the liveliest strikers in the Division and has pace to compete with almost any defender. I really hope the vocal anti-Roberts minority don't end up forcing him out of the club.

If played this season regularly then I'm sure he'll deliver, just a shame he was thrust out to the right-wing last season and with the 'irreplacable' Peacock, it left only one starting berth up front for all the other strikers to compete. Let's support the Boyo!! Fed up with there always being a fall-guy for abuse at the Gate. As long as a player appears to be giving 100% then he gets my support. With him and Murray back in tandem again and the other strikers we have at the club let's hope for another goal-feast this season in the right end!!

What more can he do to be accepted?! Scoring against Cardiff twice took some bottle!!

Archived