IGNORED

Lloyd Kelly (Merged)

Spoons

20 minutes ago, Hocca said:

He shouldn’t start again this season. He’s become a liability and it’s stupid to leave a quality left back in Dasilva on the bench

Agreed especially if we want to stay in the top 6..... JD is absolutely class. I'd have LK back in there Sunday tho and rest JD for Norwich or bring him on if needed. 

Performance aside have to say I didn't think Lloyd's attitude came across well this evening either, lots of pointing and gesturing when things weren't going right, thought his recovery on their attacks was very poor as well. A lot of what people accused Joe Bryan of not appearing to sprint back and just jogged despite them being on the attack. Hopefully he shrugs it off and next time we see him he's back to his best, perhaps giving him a game against Wolves could be good against him as LJ has said its a bit of a freebie and we'll be able to go out and attack.

4 minutes ago, JasonM88 said:

He’s a young player, feel like that should be enough said but people seem incapable of understanding that young players simply can’t produce all the time. 

Big talent who will only get better. Should learn from tonight. 

Yeah agreed, but he was borderline disinterested tonight. No excuse for that I’m afraid.

We need to give the kid a break. He is still young and clearly still has mistakes in him. I also very much doubt he will end up as a LB when he matures. 

JDS is clearly first choice LB now. I am fairly low down in the Dolman and you can see his positional play is so much better and has excellent control of the ball. Also on a better wavelength with COD than Lloyd

2 minutes ago, JasonM88 said:

No, confidence is just shot. 

Yeah looks like it. 

But when 10 out of 11 are busting a gut it tends to stand out. 

Lloyd did not make 1 sprint, either going forward or in defence, in the entire first half.

1 hour ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Yeh no need to be too harsh on him. He started off poor and never recovered but he will be a class act for City. 

Exactly right, a boy still learning his but anyone with an ounce of footballing ability can see his potential.

Im not being patronising but in some respects it’s like bringing up your kids, he’s at the age where of course he’s self sufficient but there’s going to bumps along the way. 

If you believe in him though, ten you just got to keep supporting him and he’ll make you proud in the end.

I don't understand the reasoning for starting Kelly tonight as with Da Silva in such good form, there was no need to drop him (especially at home) and the Wolves game would have been the best game to start Kelly.

He's a CB playing LB, we need to be patient. He needs to watch and learn from these matches and top class CB's like Kalas and Webster.

It's difficult to be negative right now but should the worst happen and we don't get promotion (maybe even if we do) then I can actually see him being Webster's CB partner next season, not that that is necessarily a negative...

Highly rate Kelly, but tonight he just seemed frightened to make a mistake so looked slow and ponderous when looking for the forward pass or just wanted to knock it backwards and let someone else take responsibility.

I understand he will make mistakes and not ever game is going to be good, but what I cannot not accept from a defender is a half hearted jog back when your teammates are defending, he should be busting a gut to get back in position.

We musn’t forget that for some. Bizarre reason Johnson picked him ahead of de Silva despite his mom performance at Blackburn, fair play to LJ for getting his substitutions right tonight, taking the pedestrian Pack off and putting Brownhill in his position was a master stroke 

2 hours ago, Redsi2 said:

I would imagine his confidence is shot. Top marks to LJ for being ruthless and putting the team first, but being subbed at half time must be tough for the lad and to see his replacement have a storming second half. Does he need a behind doors friendly perhaps.

Bit over the top to say that imo. He’s just had a poor half of football, it happens. I’d be very confident in him were he to start the next game.

1 hour ago, joeyb said:

I don't understand the reasoning for starting Kelly tonight as with Da Silva in such good form, there was no need to drop him (especially at home) and the Wolves game would have been the best game to start Kelly.

He's a CB playing LB, we need to be patient. He needs to watch and learn from these matches and top class CB's like Kalas and Webster.

It's difficult to be negative right now but should the worst happen and we don't get promotion (maybe even if we do) then I can actually see him being Webster's CB partner next season, not that that is necessarily a negative...

I think it was simply because of the suspected aerial threat of QPR

11 minutes ago, harrys said:

We musn’t forget that for some. Bizarre reason Johnson picked him ahead of de Silva despite his mom performance at Blackburn, fair play to LJ for getting his substitutions right tonight, taking the pedestrian Pack off and putting Brownhill in his position was a master stroke 

Understandable when you actually listen to the reason he gave for Kelly starting.

2 hours ago, Red Army 75 said:

Spot on . A game like he had tonight will make him stronger. Learn from your mistakes 

well sorry to say but tonight he must have learned a lot, we improved immensely after he went off. he takes being casual to a whole new level and I hope for his sake it's something he can eradicate from his game, he thinks he is a lot better than he actually is at this moment in time.

Confidence definitely shot, which is a shame since he looked so good at the beginning of the season.

Da Silva looks in a different league at the moment, but whilst he is the clearly the better option for now we must find a way to keep developing Kelly. We must not forget that Da Silva is not actually our player, and if he does eventually leave (which is looking more likely with his form improving), we will be left with a neglected academy product with all that potential shot by a lack of confidence.

With the right starts in the right games, hopefully we can continue to develop Lloyd. I've got no doubt he'll be worth it in the end.

I believe he was rusty having been benched for recent matches.

It also highlighted for me the fact that he is a centre half first and foremost.

The lad has been absolutely amazing this season so deserves the support he gets .

The comparisons to Dasilva are not helpful as they are completely different types of player . 

14 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

This. A key part of improving as a player is learning from your mistakes which he just doesn’t seem to. 

Bags of potential but frustrating to keep seeing him make the same mistakes repeatedly, especially when they’re so basic.

It's his first season playing regular professional football. Way, way, way too early to castigate him for not learning from his mistakes. It must have been a headfucker of a season for him - suddenly becoming first choice, then being linked with multi-million pound moves to Liverpool or Man Utd after half a season. It would affect a lot of young players I reckon.

At the moment, we are in the hunt for promotion and an FA cup quarter final with the potential for a favourable draw if we get through so we cannot afford the luxury of picking out-of-form players and hoping they improve. It is is Da Silva's shirt at the moment and should stay that way for now. But let's not write Kelly off. He is a superb talent who needs a bit of space to learn. With guidance and support, he can be back and stronger than ever.

1 hour ago, MT1970 said:

This...

8D9CCFC3-E203-419D-B6A1-7D52ED867AE9.jpeg

I think Tinnion has hit the nail on the head.

A subtle way of reminding our "supporters" not to boo and jeer a 20 year old City player whose just starting out.

It was a shame that a vocal minority were berating him for his mistakes - couple in my row just couldn't stop. And then cheered the substitution. Quite a lot of anger directed at him.

It's easy to support when you've come back from a goal down to win 2-1. Give the lad a break.

13 hours ago, joeyb said:

Johnson wanted a taller back line to deal with Matt Smith, as simple as.

Luckily in the second half Smiffy had shot his bolt and could hardly canter at a slow trot.

We know Lloyd's got talent and we know he's lacking confidence.

But I disagree with those who say "play him against Wolves".

Right now, Premier League players would have him on toast - and imagine the impact of a third half-time substitution.

No, Plenty of work with the coaches. some reserves action and the odd appearance off the bench until he feels his way back to form.

The Liam Fontaine situation should remind us that you can't just force confidence back into a player by constantly playing him.

3 minutes ago, 8 men had a dream said:

I think Tinnion has hit the nail on the head.

A subtle way of reminding our "supporters" not to boo and jeer a 20 year old City player whose just starting out.

It was a shame that a vocal minority were berating him for his mistakes - couple in my row just couldn't stop. And then cheered the substitution. Quite a lot of anger directed at him.

It's easy to support when you've come back from a goal down to win 2-1. Give the lad a break.

Do me a favour , people always make out lots of people give various players stick , there were groans at time when bad passes were played by him but not booing 

Massive fan of Lloyd and felt for him last night. Out of sorts and low on confidence. Fair play to the boss hooking him at half time . Myself like everyone in the ground got very nervy when he got on the ball . Making lots of mistakes and having too many touches . He will learn and become a better player . In the upper Sir Steve stand I heard a couple of guys boo the lad , piss poor that . 

Archived