IGNORED

Lloyd Kelly (Merged)

Spoons

It's just such a shame he's lost form so badly as he was excellent for the first few months of the season, don't think he's reacted well to falling behind Dasilva seams to me he's just trying to hard when he gets a chance and that's doing nothing to get his game back the the level we all know he can be, I would talk him out the first team for a few weeks give him a chance to get his head right

2 hours ago, Cov 77 said:

Do me a favour , people always make out lots of people give various players stick , there were groans at time when bad passes were played by him but not booing 

Do you think Tinnion posted that Tweet because of groans?

I can't remember another occasion where he has specifically called out for support of a particular young player like that.

Plus - I didn't make out it was "lots of people", I thought it was a vocal minority.

30 minutes ago, CiderCraig said:

You Sir, are a 

DBE0B988-FA85-487B-B512-12ED6885B680.jpeg

DC09F1B0-8A51-4711-BB22-3E7DEE436303.jpeg

Just because he’s a local lad doesn’t make him immune to criticism. He’s a good player but right now in the promotion race that we are in we can’t afford the performances he’s producing, especially when dasilva is playing well when called upon.

Something is not quite right.

We've all seen how well Kelly can play. Lately, he's been a shadow of his former self.

No doubt the coaching staff (and his team-mates) will give him all the support he needs, and do whatever is required to get him firing on all cylinders again.

We need everyone in the squad to be hitting top form for the final push and to hopefully surpass our rivals.

4 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

It's his first season playing regular professional football. Way, way, way too early to castigate him for not learning from his mistakes. It must have been a headfucker of a season for him - suddenly becoming first choice, then being linked with multi-million pound moves to Liverpool or Man Utd after half a season. It would affect a lot of young players I reckon.

At the moment, we are in the hunt for promotion and an FA cup quarter final with the potential for a favourable draw if we get through so we cannot afford the luxury of picking out-of-form players and hoping they improve. It is is Da Silva's shirt at the moment and should stay that way for now. But let's not write Kelly off. He is a superb talent who needs a bit of space to learn. With guidance and support, he can be back and stronger than ever.

I realise it's his first 'proper' season, however, the amount of times that he's given away possession in dangerous areas by being overly casual/downright sloppy, I'm sorry, but you should be learning from that at any age, and his age shouldn't be used as a reason/excuse for continuing to make the same basic mistake. These are professional athletes that train day in day out as such, not randoms plucked from the street. 

I like Kelly and he has enormous potential, but his age/the fact that he's 'one of our own' shouldn't be used as an excuse for not learning from making basic mistakes.

Dasilva is the same age.

I don't want to be perceived as being overly critical of him or having it out for him, I'm not, he's a good player who will get better, but it's alarming that he doesn't seem to learn from repeatedly making the same mistake. Football is ruthless and if you're not doing that then I'm sorry you're not ready for this level of football. 

5 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I realise it's his first 'proper' season, however, the amount of times that he's given away possession in dangerous areas by being overly casual/downright sloppy, I'm sorry, but you should be learning from that at any age, and his age shouldn't be used as a reason/excuse for continuing to make the same basic mistake. These are professional athletes that train day in day out as such, not randoms plucked from the street. 

I like Kelly and he has enormous potential, but his age/the fact that he's 'one of our own' shouldn't be used as an excuse for not learning from making basic mistakes.

Dasilva is the same age.

I don't want to be perceived as being overly critical of him or having it out for him, I'm not, he's a good player who will get better, but it's alarming that he doesn't seem to learn from repeatedly making the same mistake. Football is ruthless and if you're not doing that then I'm sorry you're not ready for this level of football. 

Great post IMO which reflects just how I see it. He also appears to be casual and pedestrian throughout whether with the ball or without it. Last night I felt myself getting anxious each time he received the ball. 

While there is self-confidence and ability there is also sloppiness and arrogance. 

1 minute ago, Jerseybean said:

Great post IMO which reflects just how I see it. He also appears to be casual and pedestrian throughout whether with the ball or without it. Last night I felt myself getting anxious each time he received the ball. 

While there is self-confidence and ability there is also sloppiness and arrogance. 

Exactly. I don't see why he should be any more exempt from criticism than anyone else just because he's young. He's a fully established member of the senior squad and an England international, he's not in the under 12s. At the end of the day if his performances are marking him out as a weak link in the squad then it's time he was rested/dropped or whatever we want to call it. Dasilva looks the obvious choice at LB to me at the moment, we've been at our best all season when attacking with intent. 

1 hour ago, Hocca said:

Just because he’s a local lad doesn’t make him immune to criticism. He’s a good player but right now in the promotion race that we are in we can’t afford the performances he’s producing, especially when dasilva is playing well when called upon.

So that justifies vilifying him? Why can't we just back whoever is on the pitch. 

If you were at work, having a bad day, week, number if shifts, would people having a go at you and making you feel worse, help? 

I don't get the "there must be a scapegoat" mentality. He's been a part of what's shaping up to be a good season, he may not be on top form right now, but ffs just get behind him.

5 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Exactly. I don't see why he should be any more exempt from criticism than anyone else just because he's young. He's a fully established member of the senior squad and an England international, he's not in the under 12s. At the end of the day if his performances are marking him out as a weak link in the squad then it's time he was rested/dropped or whatever we want to call it. Dasilva looks the obvious choice at LB to me at the moment, we've been at our best all season when attacking with intent. 

I don't think anyone should be exempt from criticism but I think we all also expect players to develop and learn way quicker than they necessarily do so. Da Silva is the same age as him but not everyone develops at the same age (on top which Da Silva has 6 months on him in any case). All players have mistakes they quickly rectify and mistakes they repeat a few times before they get it.

I don't think for a minute he should be free from criticism but, whilst his age does not get him off scot free, it is a factor Yes, he's too casual and yes, he needs to be rested but this is a phase young players go through. Hopefully the penny will drop for him. Maybe it won't but it is way too early to tell. 

12 minutes ago, CiderCraig said:

So that justifies vilifying him? Why can't we just back whoever is on the pitch. 

If you were at work, having a bad day, week, number if shifts, would people having a go at you and making you feel worse, help? 

I don't get the "there must be a scapegoat" mentality. He's been a part of what's shaping up to be a good season, he may not be on top form right now, but ffs just get behind him.

Chill out Lloyd, I just think that jay is better than you.

Also Id never shout anything to the players at the games and always back who’s playing including Kelly, only saying I don’t think he’s good enough right now

8 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I don't think anyone should be exempt from criticism but I think we all also expect players to develop and learn way quicker than they necessarily do so. Da Silva is the same age as him but not everyone develops at the same age (on top which Da Silva has 6 months on him in any case). All players have mistakes they quickly rectify and mistakes they repeat a few times before they get it.

I don't think for a minute he should be free from criticism but, whilst his age does not get him off scot free, it is a factor Yes, he's too casual and yes, he needs to be rested but this is a phase young players go through. Hopefully the penny will drop for him. Maybe it won't but it is way too early to tell. 

Yeah I completely agree. But if a player isn't learning from mistakes and it's costing us then ultimately he needs to be rotated for a player who isn't making those mistakes, we can't afford to play players on sentiment who's performances are not up to standard right now. 

Most of us learn more through adversity than success so hopefully he'll come back stronger and more focussed. 

1 hour ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Yeah I completely agree. But if a player isn't learning from mistakes and it's costing us then ultimately he needs to be rotated for a player who isn't making those mistakes, we can't afford to play players on sentiment who's performances are not up to standard right now. 

Most of us learn more through adversity than success so hopefully he'll come back stronger and more focussed. 

Absolutely agree there. I certainly don’t see any justification for picking him on his current form. I just hope he gets supported behind the scenes to learn from this and get back to where he was at the start of the season.

Anybody who vilifies Kelly is an idiot, the kid's good, has a very promising future and is ours, unlike the better left back who's temporarily on loan here. Folks should remember that and I think that's why WeeLee tries to find him game-time ( U23s is ****.)

Anybody who thinks because he's young and City that makes him immune from criticism is likewise an idiot, the kid needs to learn from his mistakes, doing so quickly.

My biggest criticism of him also relates to players like CoD and Patterson, so maybe something to do with coaching, and that's he isn't good enough to lay the ball off and turn fancy tricks without looking up. He cedes possession too easily that way, as do the rest. He's far better when he tries to keep it simple, sticking to the basics.

Archived