IGNORED

Crosses...

spudski

4 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

I didn't watch it. I preferred Ipswich v Derby!

Of course, goals can and will be scored from crosses. I just question whether there is a preference of top coaches today to cross less from the flanks into the box? Teams like Barca seem to use the wings just to add width to the midfield with the main attacking threat coming through the middle.

If kids are going to be banned in future from heading the ball, as a newspaper article suggests, football will need to evolve because in a generation, they'll be no point in crossing the ball in high because nobody will ever compete for them!

Generally yes. It is generally an inefficient means of scoring. Most goals are scored via attacking centrally - zone 14 etc .. Barcelona do use width to create space inside, crosses from wide (low option area) are avoided virtually.  

29 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

I didn't watch it. I preferred Ipswich v Derby!

Of course, goals can and will be scored from crosses. I just question whether there is a preference of top coaches today to cross less from the flanks into the box? Teams like Barca seem to use the wings just to add width to the midfield with the main attacking threat coming through the middle.

If kids are going to be banned in future from heading the ball, as a newspaper article suggests, football will need to evolve because in a generation, they'll be no point in crossing the ball in high because nobody will ever compete for them!

Most teams will find space on the flanks due to the centre of the pitch being populated through natural formations of players to protect a direct attack on goal. Crossing the ball isn't going out of the game it's just at the very top level the technique of where and when the ball is played in is far more precise as is the timing and position of players who get on the end of the cross 

If you look at Man City, they put numerous crosses in and because their front players are not tall the accuracy and placement is so precise that they score a lot of goals

45 minutes ago, INCRED said:

Most teams will find space on the flanks due to the centre of the pitch being populated through natural formations of players to protect a direct attack on goal. Crossing the ball isn't going out of the game it's just at the very top level the technique of where and when the ball is played in is far more precise as is the timing and position of players who get on the end of the cross 

If you look at Man City, they put numerous crosses in and because their front players are not tall the accuracy and placement is so precise that they score a lot of goals

Man City are not putting numerous crosses into the box. They seek to create overloads around the half spaces outside of the box using tight interplay. 

I've rather given up counting the number of decent crosses we get in where no City player even challenges for the ball and the defenders make an easy unchallenged headed clearance.

If we are not challenging for the crosses, then we must be positionally placed to pick up the clearances.

Ideally, we should be challenging of course.

Eliasson consistently hits that 'zone' between the penalty spot and the edge of the six yard box, where the keeper can't claim and it's a nightmare for the defenders. If I was Fam, I'd be timing my run to get in front of the defender as Eliasson shapes to cross it/ shoot, but he never seems to and arrives half a second late most of the time. I agree with an earlier poster; if Fam got across the defender more often, he'd have 15/20 goals by now.

3 hours ago, Oops said:

Eliasson consistently hits that 'zone' between the penalty spot and the edge of the six yard box, where the keeper can't claim and it's a nightmare for the defenders. If I was Fam, I'd be timing my run to get in front of the defender as Eliasson shapes to cross it/ shoot, but he never seems to and arrives half a second late most of the time. I agree with an earlier poster; if Fam got across the defender more often, he'd have 15/20 goals by now.

Indeed, like he did away at Brum.  Although, it’s difficult to coach instinct.  I think also that if you’re used to being the bigger-man in a two, you tend to be the back-stick man, and the smaller forward does the near post.  Playing one up top, Fam needs to think about getting in front of his man more.

13 hours ago, Cowshed said:

Generally yes. It is generally an inefficient means of scoring. Most goals are scored via attacking centrally - zone 14 etc .. Barcelona do use width to create space inside, crosses from wide (low option area) are avoided virtually.  

What about low, drilled crosses from more central areas as opposed to traditional crossing from wide areas- I could see Barcelona etc playing that way in certain phases of play.

32 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

What about low, drilled crosses from more central areas as opposed to traditional crossing from wide areas- I could see Barcelona etc playing that way in certain phases of play.

Yes it's different in principle to traditional crossing. Openings are worked, possession valued and percentage balls are generally not part of the approach.

27 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Yes it's different in principle to traditional crossing. Openings are worked, possession valued and percentage balls are generally not part of the approach.

An approach- and obviously making allowance for the fact we don't have cash of, an academy as long standing as, or a long term philosophy of these trop sides, over years and decades- but that notwithstanding, certainly would like us to continue on our way towards this approach.

Archived