IGNORED

Today's games

JamesBCFC

14 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Very defeatist to just say "let the top 4 go" (paraphrased but same meaning) when we were 1 point behind with a third of the season to play.

See above.

Whats the point of trying if you are going to give up so easy?

I hope the players have a bit more belief than you do.

Given up so easy???

Wow, I was just stating the fact that we won't keep on winning and will drop points. To make up another 8 points from now until the end of the season will (probably) be a bridge too far, and me personally would be over the moon to finish 6th considering our fixtures we have left! If we win every single game from now until the end of the season then I will be more happier than being over the moon.....

35 minutes ago, TomF said:

Anyone think Smith could get the boot at Villa if this form continues?  By all accounts no better than Bruce 

Is he a different Dean Smith to the one that some of our fans reckoned was so much better than LJ??

Actually, it matters little who their manager is, they are a basket case. Financially profligate, scatter gun recruitment, no strategy, employing Terry as a coach solely because he is famous, deluded and entitled fans living on past glories.

You'd have to have a heart of stone not to laugh.?

13 minutes ago, wood_red said:

Given up so easy???

Wow, I was just stating the fact that we won't keep on winning and will drop points. To make up another 8 points from now until the end of the season will (probably) be a bridge too far, and me personally would be over the moon to finish 6th considering our fixtures we have left! If we win every single game from now until the end of the season then I will be more happier than being over the moon.....

2 games in hand and we still have to play them.

That's 9 points potentially made up right there

Every single team will drop points and we gained 11 on Leeds in about 6 games.

6 minutes ago, chinapig said:

That'll be the Stoke who were still being described as play off contenders on 5 Live today. ?

The translation of "ex-premier league club" from English into mediaspeak is "promotion/play off contender".

Translation into mediaspeak is unaffected by the club's league position or form, as the media person ( usually a pundit who is also ex-premier league) has little or no knowledge of what is happening in the championship,  other than clubs that are managed by ex-premier league players they have actually heard of. 

19 minutes ago, BanburyRed said:

Fortress Villa Park, with the worst home defensive record in all 4 divisions :rofl2br:

An extraordinary stat really. Much as I am loving it, difficult to knock their 39k crowd today. At least they know they are going to see some goals I suppose.

11 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

2 games in hand and we still have to play them.

That's 9 points potentially made up right there

Every single team will drop points and we gained 11 on Leeds in about 6 games.

I am not disputing that at all, I am just saying I haven't gave up and didn't think my post looked like that's what I said it certainly wasn't meant to. 

The games in hand will start to cause a pile up as well, I know it is easy to look and say "win those in hand and....", in reality we won't win the games in hand (hope we do). We will now also have the Millwall game rescheduled as well due to them winning today, which would have happened if we go through tomorrow anyway. If we do get through tomorrow we will have a hell of a lot of games to play and that will have a big say in where we finish, as some players will need a rest, then we may have more injuries and suspensions etc.

15 minutes ago, downendcity said:

The translation of "ex-premier league club" from English into mediaspeak is "promotion/play off contender".

Translation into mediaspeak is unaffected by the club's league position or form, as the media person ( usually a pundit who is also ex-premier league) has little or no knowledge of what is happening in the championship,  other than clubs that are managed by ex-premier league players they have actually heard of. 

I have never known a time when those who populate the media have been so ignorant of, and uninterested in, the bulk of English football.

What they are interested in is celebrity. Having to know about the wider English game would require spending less time on Twitter and actually doing some work.

6 minutes ago, wood_red said:

I am not disputing that at all, I am just saying I haven't gave up and didn't think my post looked like that's what I said it certainly wasn't meant to. 

The games in hand will start to cause a pile up as well, I know it is easy to look and say "win those in hand and....", in reality we won't win the games in hand (hope we do). We will now also have the Millwall game rescheduled as well due to them winning today, which would have happened if we go through tomorrow anyway. If we do get through tomorrow we will have a hell of a lot of games to play and that will have a big say in where we finish, as some players will need a rest, then we may have more injuries and suspensions etc.

In the context of conversation that's how it came across.

paraphrasing here...

I responded to someone whose post essentially said to give up on top 4. I asked why as we were a point behind at the start of play. Your response to me saying we won't win every game.

Not the exact words, but that's the jist of what was said. So in the context of how I read it, it did seem you were giving up.

Basically we need to equal the points of Derby or Boro over last 15 games to make playoffs. Would have been very happy if you’d have said that after Leeds defeat. 

These runs we are on don’t go on forever so hoping we bounce back when we lose - likely to be at Norwich - as under LJ we haven’t done this well historically. 

Yeah today seems to be evidence that the mid-table rabble are too inconsistent to catch the top 7 and that fpr City, the top 4 will be incredibly hard to catch.

My intuition is that its very rare for the team with games in hand to catch the team with points on the board.

3 hours ago, TomF said:

Anyone think Smith could get the boot at Villa if this form continues?  By all accounts no better than Bruce 

How about Smith gets sacked by Villa, both Brentford (with Smith's replacement in charge, Tomas Franke) and Sheff Wed (with ex Villa boss Bruce in charge) to finish above them in the table? 

#irony

Archived